Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Spring gun maintenance

:

Frequently Asked Questions

Old January 16th, 2007, 00:21   #1
Gh05t

Spring gun maintenance

hi.. im kinda new.. and before i get insanely flamed, i just want to say sorry for repeating whatever might be posted somewhere else and i have tried looking for this information already..

i was wondering what kind of oil to use to oil my gun and which parts i should to keep a spring gun maintained in good shape. would crosmans pellgunoil do the trick? thanks for the help..
Gh05t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 01:10   #2
Lakonian
kos

The information hasn't been posted beforehand because almost noone fires spring-guns, or cares enough about them to maintain them.

However, if you MUST waste your time maintaining something that cost you next to nothing, then do so like this:

1. look for points of contact (generally places that endure friction, or are more prone to wear) .
2. put some lube on the slide rails, and frame rails ( the little tracks that the slide moves on).
3. Don't bother too much about repeating step 1,2 because it will eventually break, like all low quality springers.

Oh, and next time, try and add a detailed description of what you have so we can help you better.
Lakonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 02:10   #3
BBS

Send a message via MSN to BBS
try sticking to 100% pure silicone oil, or R/C car shock oil 10-15 wt.

spring guns (pistols not snipers) are very low maintence, adding to what kos said, take a Qtip / barrel cleaning rod or something of that nature and clean the inner barrel, this will restore its accuracy and fps.
BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 06:38   #4
Greylocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kos View Post
The information hasn't been posted beforehand because almost noone fires spring-guns, or cares enough about them to maintain them.
You base this on what experience? Many people have spring guns, aka springers.

Maintenance; silicone oil, and remembering that you dont rack the slide/spring with huge force. This works even for the cheapest guns, but then I dont tend to use mine enough to have to worry about it.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 07:42   #5
Kid

Springers are amazing fun when you're just out to have good, cheap fun and not worried about having too much realism.

Just put a thin layer of silicone oil all over the insides... Anything that movies. It's a good standard to go by.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 21:35   #6
Greylocks

By the way, ask a moderator to move this from the FAQ to Doctor's Corner where such information belongs (and mostly already is).
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:53   #7
Metalsynth

Quote:

3. Don't bother too much about repeating step 1,2 because it will eventually break, like all low quality springers.
Ever tryed a Classic Army M24?

This is a solid peice and still just a sprigner...

Certified Level 2 BA Sniper
Si ton épée est trop courte, allonge la d'un pas. ( Proverbe Hongrois )
Metalsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:08   #8
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
If it's a pistol yo uare referring to, cock the slide (w/o a mag of course) and hold the slide back, then flip and hold upside down. Drop a couple drops of oil into the mag well trying to target the rubber head of the piston. Then release the slide and move it back and forth a few times. You'll increase the seal, possibly increase the fps by a few, and make it run much smoother. You'll find your hop up doesn't work as well the first dozen shots because yo uare blowing oil vapour into the barrel, but it'll come back.

Springers do have a place in airsoft, largely for colder weather back up. I have a Crosman P99 springer (wicked fly swatter BTW), had a TM Glock 19, and want a TM Mk23 springer at some point if I can find one.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 13:37   #9
jaa

Quote:

However, if you MUST waste your time maintaining something that cost you next to nothing, then do so like this:
High end springers are some of the most reliable guns on the market.

No need to worry about battery life, complicated gear/ mech boxes etc.

We're gonna need more BBS
jaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 13:44   #10
Lakonian
kos

No, I'm not talking about S/O-B/A rifles. I'm talking about clear crap-soft springers.
Lakonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 13:47   #11
jaa

Ok, I thought we all agreed not to constantly harp on clearsoft. We all know those guns are probably better used for disecting since you can buy them cheap and take them apart to figure them out.

Last edited by jaa; August 27th, 2007 at 13:50..
Old August 27th, 2007, 21:59   #12
Ronan
Official Crybaby Chairsofter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa View Post
Ok, I thought we all agreed not to constantly harp on clearsoft. We all know those guns are probably better used for disecting since you can buy them cheap and take them apart to figure them out.
I think they are build differently than airsoft guns... Last time i checked my Classic Army SR-25 didn't have a plastic mechbox. They might have similar parts, but its like working on Honda's and then suddenly thinking you can work on a Ferrari. Both are cars... but trust me... its different under the hood
Ronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 22:21   #13
jaa

I mean grasping the basics of "the motor drives the piston which compresses air and flings a little plastic ball past the hop up rubber on it's way out of a tube"

If someone wants to prove me wrong, feel free to send a working TM AEG. I can't promise I'll give it back to you in working condition.

Last edited by jaa; August 27th, 2007 at 22:23..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Frequently Asked Questions