Smith Optics Boogie Regulator Goggles

:

Gear Discussion

Old September 1st, 2012, 23:19   #1
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
Smith Optics Boogie Regulator Goggles

https://elite.smithoptics.com/produc...r+Goggle/view/

Just wanted to post this for anyone interested in a low-pro full seal goggle set.

Got these earlier this week; haven't gamed them yet, but will be tomorrow. Tested these out today and yesterday by going for a couple hard, hot, sweaty 5km runs.

I did use a home remedy anti-fog trick of using some dish soap on the lenses. Took a drop on the finger tip and rubbed it all over the inside of the lens, let it dry, and then buffed the lens with a micro-fiber cloth.

Overall worked really great. Last night I had zero condensation on the inside of the lenses and I was very hot and sweaty at the end of the run. I even left them on for about 5 minutes post-run to see if the lack of motion would have any effect and there was none. Today I ran in the hot sun and was even hotter and sweatier. When I got home and back indoors to my air conditioned house I caught some very minor condensation that didn't really impede my vision. I left them on for a few more minutes following this and within two minutes the condensation has completely disappeared. Seeing as although I do get sweaty during games, I definitely won't be as sweaty and hot as I would doing a 5km run in 20 minutes in the hot sun as most games I do are in and out of wooded settings, and I'm not constantly running.

I had ordered some C-Clear commercial anti-fog (https://www.c-clearantifog.com/index.php) for these as well when ordering the goggles just to be on the safe side, and seeing as commercial anti-fog works much better than dish soap, I think it would be safe to assume that the amount of fogging and condensation build up on these goggles would be extremely minimal. Haven't received the C-Clear yet, but will try the goggles out with it when it does arrive.

I got the goggles with the Ignitor (Amber) lens and it's fantastic. It actually brightens everything and sharpens my sighting so it can be used in lower lighting such as in thick woods, but still gives some UV protection while out in the bright sun. Obviously that lens wouldn't be a great choice very near to or past sunset, so night ops would be out, but for your everyday skirmish or daytime milsim op it's a prime choice.

Once I game this I will add another post to review them further, but I have high hopes for their performance tomorrow at Finch Field. I will also post a further review once I've gotten the C-Clear and gotten some use out of them with that.

Very well priced goggles and you can get them shipped to you for about $50 total (goggle+shipping+taxes).

I ordered mine from here: http://www.millbrookcanada.ca/gear.h...category_id=41
Old September 1st, 2012, 23:22   #2
Disco_Dante

Did yours come with the ARC adaptors? When I first heard of the Boogie Regulators that was what really sold me on them, but i've heard different things from different people about whether the helmet adaptors were included in their package!

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 23:27   #3
Zack The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco_Dante View Post
Did yours come with the ARC adaptors? When I first heard of the Boogie Regulators that was what really sold me on them, but i've heard different things from different people about whether the helmet adaptors were included in their package!
Mine didn't come stock with them, but I think they were like $5 extra to add them to the shipment. They have them for sale on the site I referenced (http://www.millbrookcanada.ca/gear.h...category_id=41).
Old September 1st, 2012, 23:29   #4
Zack The Ripper

Correction, they are $14 on Millbrook. I don't think they're generally included with the goggles anyways for most retailers, and when they do come included they come with a higher price to the total package.
Old September 1st, 2012, 23:52   #5
Disco_Dante

Thanks for the fast reply!

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 00:05   #6
attack-beaver

i keep hearing about these ARC adapters but i cant find a good image outside that one smith released and i can get a good view of the arc adapters. ive googled and had no luck finding a good image.
attack-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 00:33   #7
Zack The Ripper

Yeah, the info on them using Google-magic is fairly limited. My guess would be the ones on Millbrook are your best bet.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 03:24   #8
mmmken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco_Dante View Post
They are sold separately for $14-20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attack-beaver View Post
i keep hearing about these ARC adapters but i cant find a good image outside that one smith released and i can get a good view of the arc adapters. ive googled and had no luck finding a good image.
I'll post up a video that gives a good view of the goggles on the ARC straps soon and get the link up here.

Note to Asians: these are not Asian fit and will leave a pretty big gap above your nose.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 07:55   #9
Zack The Ripper

+1 regarding the Asian fit note. I've had my nose smashed up ftom fighting and have a fairly large bridge, and I still have a very small gap. Asians would be bound to have a larger one.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 15:39   #10
FlyGuy

Smith Elite Boogie Regulator with Ops-Core & ARC rail setup as requested:

In my experience, even with FogTech applied, if you are not moving and the relative humidity is high, they will fog up on you. Once you start moving however, they will clear. YMMV however as they tend to fit different people differently thus some don't fog while others will almost instantly.

Fly

Team GHOSTS - Fides et Amicitia
G-68

"Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I"

Learning To Fly
© 1986 Pink Floyd
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 19:21   #11
mmmken

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post

In my experience, even with FogTech applied, if you are not moving and the relative humidity is high, they will fog up on you. Once you start moving however, they will clear. YMMV however as they tend to fit different people differently thus some don't fog while others will almost instantly.

Fly
The sad thing is though, the production version of the ARC rail setup is different from that photo for some reason. My tabs (where it shows the logo) are nothing like that. I personally use the Revision anti fog wipes and they never fog up.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 01:20   #12
Zack The Ripper

I used them today and with a couple applications of simple dish soap they didn't fog up at all. I did get some condensation at times because I was fairly hot and sweaty, but even guys with Desert Locust goggles w/ turbo fans were having the same thing happen. It wasn't a constant thing and even just a light breeze helped clear them right up. With the Ignitor lens I had great vision in the sun and just as great of a sighting in the thick woods.

My only real complaint about these goggles is the foam; it is a much stiffer foam and because of this, after about two hours or so of running around, getting sweaty and shifting the goggles from time to time, they began to chaff. By the end of the day my face was quite irritated. Keeping in mind I was wearing these bad boys for 7 hours with only two 5 minute periods where I actually took them off, cleaned the lens, reapplied some dish soap, let it dry, buffed it out, and put them back on. Not quite sure what can be done about preventing this, but I wouldn't want this to occur every game as it was rather uncomfortable by hour 6. Next time I may try some good old vaseline around the eyes an hour or so before putting them on the make my skin a little more elastic and less sensitive.

Overall a great performance, they just become uncomfortable after awhile.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 01:49   #13
attack-beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post

that was the image i was talking about, i was hoping to find a better image of the adapters themselves. mmmken id me happy with even a cell phone picture.

ill email milbrook to see if they have the ARC adapters
attack-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 11:29   #14
drk242

we carry them as well
Old September 3rd, 2012, 17:27   #15
mmmken

Quote:
Originally Posted by attack-beaver View Post
that was the image i was talking about, i was hoping to find a better image of the adapters themselves. mmmken id me happy with even a cell phone picture.

ill email milbrook to see if they have the ARC adapters

The logo strap thing is actual velcro backed unlike the one that is being advertised in their promotional photos. There is no "tunnel" inside the strap thing for the bungee to hide into as well.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion