Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Upgrading the VFC SCAR-L

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old June 25th, 2010, 23:37   #1
Molomir

Upgrading the VFC SCAR-L

So basically, I'm looking foward to buying a VFC SCAR-L (in like less then a month) but I heard that a bunch of stuff on it had to be upgraded to be considered an "Excellent" AEG. So basically just leave me the information on what needs to be upgraded (E.g hop-up rubber) and with what it should be upgraded.

Thx a bunch guys!
Old June 26th, 2010, 00:37   #2
GBear

Send a message via MSN to GBear
Nothing needs to be upgraded. It is already an excellent AEG. The only thing really worth upgrading is the hop up rubber but even so, you don't need to replace it until it breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayce View Post
I wish I could upload a few gameplay videos of me on Alliance of Valiant Arms for you guys to compare to.

I am not familiar with airsoft.

What my question is, does the element of surprise work on a typical airsoft match?
GBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 07:16   #3
Daiviet
Captain Sunshine

upgrade the player before you upgrade the gun.
Daiviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 17:32   #4
Molomir

I am insulted at that daivet
Old June 26th, 2010, 18:06   #5
Daiviet
Captain Sunshine

I mean no disrespect with my statement, I say it so you won't repeat the mistakes of many. Gbear is partially following the advice I gave him, but he's learned the hard way as well. Leave it alone, use it until something breaks. How do you know how significant an upgrade is if you've barely gotten to know the gun's limits? Play a few games with it first to test its ability in terms of accuracy, durability, and consistency. Once you find flaws in your gun, then you can go about upgrading the parts necessary. It's quite possible that upgrading your gun actually makes it worse, which will require even more hours put into it to make it back to the original quality, and exponentially more upgrades to get it better.

VFC makes excellent products straight out of the box. Learn it's limitations before you upgrade.

As a player too, if you can do well on the field with an inferior product, imagine how much better you'll be when your equipment is top of the line. Tools are nothing without the skills of the user.
Daiviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 19:00   #6
Blitzed

Just basically saying keep it as a stock rifle, play with it for a season and see where the rifle could be better. Most of the time VFC's do not need upgrades. They're a pretty great rifle.
Blitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 19:02   #7
GBear

Send a message via MSN to GBear
Listen to Daiviet. He is the o-so-wise one when it comes to SCARs. He basically guided me through everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayce View Post
I wish I could upload a few gameplay videos of me on Alliance of Valiant Arms for you guys to compare to.

I am not familiar with airsoft.

What my question is, does the element of surprise work on a typical airsoft match?
GBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 21:26   #8
Molomir

oh ok, well i might have overreacted there, my bad daiviet :S
Old June 26th, 2010, 21:57   #9
Sha Do

Having worked on the VFC SCARs extensively for MACH1 Airsoft, I can make two recommendations regarding upgrades.
-first, replace the piston head with a non aluminum (non metal) one, as this excessive weight will eventually cause the front end of your mech box to crack...especially in cooler weather.
The ported aluminum one that comes stock with it sounds awesome, but it is still undue stress.

-secondly, switch out the piston. It is a nylon or low end poly that will strip at stock fps within 10 000 rounds or so. Install a metal tooth poly carb piston and it'll last you at least 30 000 rounds if not more.

If you are doing the work yourself, keep in mind that there is an access port on the back side of the mech box which will allow you to depressurize the main spring by releasing the anti reverse latch. Also, be careful when actually opening the box, as the gears are spring loaded into position and if your main spring causes the gears to jump, you can easily loose the two springs (one on the spur gear, one on the sector gear...the bevel gear is shimmed into position). But if you loose a spring, you'll just have to shim it like other mech boxes.

SHA DO
Sha Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 23:00   #10
teriases

Upgrading the VFC SCAR-L

Ok i was thinking of the same topic.

Thanks for the advice. Also, are there any iron sights that will fit the scar? The default ones are terrible!!!!! ;(
teriases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 18:16   #11
Molomir

thx guys
Old June 27th, 2010, 20:20   #12
Sha Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriases View Post
Ok i was thinking of the same topic.

Thanks for the advice. Also, are there any iron sights that will fit the scar? The default ones are terrible!!!!! ;(
If you are talking about the fact that the front sight is way out from the factory, they are indeed. There are two hex head bolts on each side of the front sight that allow you to adjust it. Loosen the side you want to move the sight towards and then tighten the other side. When you have the adjustment you want, tighten both.

SHA DO
Sha Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:43   #13
Airmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha Do View Post
Having worked on the VFC SCARs extensively for MACH1 Airsoft, I can make two recommendations regarding upgrades.
-first, replace the piston head with a non aluminum (non metal) one, as this excessive weight will eventually cause the front end of your mech box to crack...especially in cooler weather.
The ported aluminum one that comes stock with it sounds awesome, but it is still undue stress.

-secondly, switch out the piston. It is a nylon or low end poly that will strip at stock fps within 10 000 rounds or so. Install a metal tooth poly carb piston and it'll last you at least 30 000 rounds if not more.

If you are doing the work yourself, keep in mind that there is an access port on the back side of the mech box which will allow you to depressurize the main spring by releasing the anti reverse latch. Also, be careful when actually opening the box, as the gears are spring loaded into position and if your main spring causes the gears to jump, you can easily loose the two springs (one on the spur gear, one on the sector gear...the bevel gear is shimmed into position). But if you loose a spring, you'll just have to shim it like other mech boxes.

SHA DO
With what you have said above, I suppose the "Stock" VFC Scar L will not handle an 11.1 Lipo without upgrading the mechbox internals? I suppose that would be an FAIL otherwise.

(LMAG) http://www.lowermainlandairsoft.ca
Airmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 16:43   #14
mr_nuts31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha Do View Post

SHA DO
thanks for the advice man,as an owner of a vfc scar, i really appreciate your opinion. Now all I need to do is buy a new piston w. cylinder head. But i do have one question, would a sorbo pad help with the piston head problem?
mr_nuts31 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications