Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Airsoft for bigger guys?

:

Newbie Tank

Old December 24th, 2016, 01:53   #1
Preacher x

Airsoft for bigger guys?

Okay so I was wondering, what would be the cons of playing airsoft for a bigger guy? I'm 6'3 300 lbs but I'm very athletic so I'm not an absolute slob, infact I carry my weight well and I have a great frame and I'd say I'm pretty lean but I'm also overweight. I play football (offensive line obviously.), baseball, hockey, lacrosse etc. I've played basically every sport.

Lately I've been interested in airsoft but I've had some self doubt as a bigger guy tbh. I've never seen too many big men play airsoft or paintball at all before lmao I mostly see smaller skinnier guys play and a few older ones. I've already got a callsign picked out that no one has in my province has and a loadout. Nothing too fancy. I'd like to play sniper or just an AR and focus on holding a specific area of the map, not so much run and gun but obviously I will do run and gun eventually.

I think playing airsoft will help me with cardio and such and just help me keep in shape while having fun.

Thoughts? Any other bigger men out there playing have tips? Thanks in advance.
Preacher x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 01:59   #2
BenG

Theres lots of big guys that play airsoft, you can get all kinds of sizes of gear.

Age Verifier ~ Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I think that's the direction I should have gone with this one though.
gen1 - I can't see shit
gen2 - I see LOTS of green, but not many people
gen3 - Nobody wants to play with me because I'm an elitist asshole now
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 03:11   #3
RainyEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher x View Post
I mostly see smaller skinnier guys play and a few older ones.
That's because the big guys play with real steel

If you wanna play airsoft go ahead no one will judge you. Be it cqb or wooded skirmish type deals there's always a niche and 10 minute water/reload breaks.

Just keep in mind the human body was not designed to run while holding 5 pounds of shit...

Also, no sniping. Don't contradict yourself! Getting off your rump means NO SNIPING.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 03:21   #4
NAAZ
One of those username tags...

The bigger you are the bigger the target. Other than that it's up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 24th, 2016, 08:01   #5
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

I'm 6'4" 210lb slim/athletic, Rob is 6'1" 270 (340 when he started) heavy set, Hedi is 6'5" - 6'6" 240? Fit with size 18W feet. It doesn't matter, you can play and find gear.
Old December 24th, 2016, 09:24   #6
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

Absolutely get into the hobby man, don't let your size affect your decision.

It can be a great workout depending on how you play. There are usually events ranging from skirmishes for a couple of hours to 48-72 hour milsims.

The only thing is you wouldn't be able to use the same cover a small guy could but most fields will have an assortment of objects for cover that you would use.

To touch on the sniper thing briefly I would steer you towards a AR/AK rifle to start. Sniping in airsoft is a specialized role and doesn't really work like most folks imagine. An assault rifle can be tweaked from a DMR to CQB lengths and you could pretty much always use it regardless of the game.

Before you buy any major kit just get out there and play a game to see what it's actually like, have fun!
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 09:28   #7
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

bigger dudes just need to be a bit more careful in fields, I know of one guy who dislocated his patella. twice. Also one guy got too excited, misstepped into a rut and wrecked his knee and had to be ambulanced out. It should be good advice for anyone to watch their footing, but bigger guys have a lot more inertia if they go the wrong way. Uneven ground is killer.
Old December 24th, 2016, 10:28   #8
Jughead

I know a couple guys 6'5" that have played for years and love the hobby/sport.

One of them is athletic and in good health/shape

The other is 40+, overweight, bad knees, etc and still enjoys playing.

The thing about airsoft, is that it isn't just about the game, but also the comradery/friendships you can build with other players and their families.

Their is a role for everyone in this hobby/sport, that suits everyones playing style(s) or ability.

I also notice that when playing once a week, during the warmer months, I get in amazing shape. Walking, running, squatting, crawling, carrying gear, high temperature days, are all work outs, but you do not realize that you are doing them as you are focused on just having fun/mission.

Never let yourself miss out on something you might enjoy just because of self doubt. This is a sport that welcomes everyone, small, large or in-between.

Strap up and you will see.

Have a wonderful Christmas Mr. Too Tall, and a Happy New Year.

W35

Last edited by Jughead; December 24th, 2016 at 10:31..
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 13:04   #9
SuperCriollo

Bigger guys make great machine Gunners !. Been around 170cm and under 140lbs means I struggle holding a m249 for too long xD

There is generally a lack of people willing to take that role

Welcome to the hobby !

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 13:27   #10
Dustin_d

Send a message via MSN to Dustin_d
6'6 260lbs have bad knees/ankles (damn sports) and have been running and gunning for 5 years now

IMO dont buy a sniper rifle as your first gun. They are no better than a stock AEG.
Dustin_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 13:41   #11
devbro

different things have their own cons or pros. just like pros and cons and pistol vs a sniper rifle. It all depends on the little situations you run into.

If you are a happy go lucky and just want to enjoy the sports then by all means, the community is very supportive and friendly. Once you dip your foot in the water you will just enjoy it more and more.

I am 6'1". it makes me crouch a lot(muscle pains the day after each game) but thanks to squats and dead lifts at the gym it does not bother me anymore.
devbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 13:57   #12
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

This is a sport largely dominated by geeks and CODsofters, don't worry, you are most definitely not the only big guy out there!
Nor are you the most out of shape. I played with a guy who, I shit you not, couldn't run more than 60ft without having to catch his breath.

Airsoft once a week alone isn't really enough cardio to whip you into shape, but it can be a motivator to GET into shape. So jump into the sport and get motivated!
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 19:21   #13
Preacher x

Awesome, thanks guys
Preacher x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2016, 21:43   #14
Infantryman

Send a message via AIM to Infantryman
I'm 6ft 300 lbs. Been in airsoft since 15. It's all in your play style. I've made a lot of dudes think twice about the bigger guys. Pretty quiet, and sneaky in the woods. And fast when I need to be. All depends on the player.
Old December 26th, 2016, 06:08   #15
Derpystronk

I'm probably in and around your weight category, and it's fine man. It is all mental. I mean there are skinny kids playing this hobby who can't make it past 12 hours. You might not be able to run up a hill as fast but if you make it to the end you are already better than a huge chunk of people.

Come out and pew.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank