Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Media
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Ghillie Thread, lots of thread, litterally ;)

:

Airsoft Media

Old March 10th, 2007, 23:04   #16
damage

Send a message via Yahoo to damage
Yikesss! sasquatch!.......I am building a homemade ghillie suit and this thread gives me ideas.
Old March 10th, 2007, 23:10   #17
Mongoose

Naw...I'm the walking bush, or for those mythical people...a Treant! LOL!!! Fires scare me...Smokey the Bear is my friend! Actually...a fully charged fire extinguisher is my friend!
Old March 11th, 2007, 00:41   #18
Mr_Steezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracheous View Post
Kay, maybe I missed it, but where do we get the thread like stuff?
Well you can get it off of places like http://www.ghilliesuits.com/index.as...S&Category=205

or you could be like the select few of us crazy folk and unthread burlap sheets from walmart( very cheap like 1 buck per square meter or something around those lines) then you get a fabric dye ( rite dye [ i used Dylon dyes]) and yeah any further inquiries in regards to making ghillie suits theres a lot of information on google search or just ask in this thread and if not myself, someone else will answer your question.... sorry if im rambling on I've had a few drinks =\
Old March 11th, 2007, 00:53   #19
Dracheous
Lego Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Steezy View Post
Well you can get it off of places like http://www.ghilliesuits.com/index.as...S&Category=205

or you could be like the select few of us crazy folk and unthread burlap sheets from walmart( very cheap like 1 buck per square meter or something around those lines) then you get a fabric dye ( rite dye [ i used Dylon dyes]) and yeah any further inquiries in regards to making ghillie suits theres a lot of information on google search or just ask in this thread and if not myself, someone else will answer your question.... sorry if im rambling on I've had a few drinks =\

Yeah, I read you saying that you were unraveling sheets, but I couldn't find what those sheets were. Looks like I'm off to Mal-Wart tomorrow!

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 01:24   #20
Mr_Steezy

Heres an example of differnt burlap piecies http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...icial%26sa%3DG

best I can find with my drunken self
GO SNIPERS!

Last edited by Mr_Steezy; March 11th, 2007 at 01:28..
Mr_Steezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 01:58   #21
damage

Send a message via Yahoo to damage
I got my net, burlap bags(15-20piece) and a couple of can of Krylon(OD, Brown and Black) Now I just need my lazy ass to get my ghuillie started.
Old March 11th, 2007, 03:05   #22
philstructo

haha im to lazy to even go out and buy stuff to make the top half of my ghillie and its also because my ghillie pants look good rolled up and tied at the botom of my CADPAT SAAV
philstructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 10:02   #23
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Steezy View Post
I'll have a ghillie to match it soon enough.

Keep in mind, I bought sheets of this stuff and then unthreaded it the sheets. I bought enough meters of it too i've got another 1/4 of that pile of that in my car. I am going to buy a cheap-o pair of used bdu's within the next few days and I'll start posting progress of my ghillie in this thread
What is it about cats always insisting on being in the picture when you are paying attention to something else............. ah, just answered my question.

Mongoose, even though you bought your ghillie, that looks very cool and can see it being highly effective!

Drach, I buy all my burlap from Canadian Tire, found in the gardening section (it's a lighter weave, is used to wrap trees for winter, etc.). I cut mine to about 18-20" squares, dye it with Rit Dye, then after drying I cut into 2" strips. The ones I want the individual jute from, I'll strip off the strands from the outside inwards on the squares. I see little point is making a ghillie out of 100% strands only, makes it look too uniform. I prefer mostly weathered and beaten strips (with the ends ripped off) and occasional clumps of a dozen or so strands. And strips of camo material.

CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 10:41   #24
ex
Wanna buy some Nod's? #StolenValour

Here's a few pics of mine. It is store bought...I just didn't feel like building it 100% from scratch. Besides this one comes with some pretty nice features. IT is made from NOSEEUM mesh that is a chemically treated material with deet. It also has 1000D Cordura contact points, like the chest, elbows and legs. It needs a bit of work and I am adding more jute to it where I feel it's a bit thin. I am also adding an extra layer of Coyote Brown Cordura to the knees and chest area.

Old March 11th, 2007, 12:24   #25
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Good thing about Cordura contact points is it has less friction and will wear through less when crawling around. Bad thing about it is it's noisy as anything, hence why I avoided it and went 100% cotton canvas.

Decent suit though Bryan, looking forward to playing with/against you in it this year.
Old March 11th, 2007, 14:56   #26
Iceman

Send a message via MSN to Iceman
Here's mine. Been using it for 4 years, adding/modding as need over the course of that time. Based off a US chemical suit (removed the charcoal inside). Made exactly like the ones i sell online.

Old March 11th, 2007, 17:41   #27
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Nice one, Icemon!

I agree, ghillies are never really finished, I'm always adding something or rearranging mine when I come up with something else to do to it (or come across some scrap material I figure I might as well add into my suit.)
Old March 11th, 2007, 17:56   #28
Tankdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Made exactly like the ones i sell online.
You sell them online?
Tankdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 22:11   #29
Iceman

Send a message via MSN to Iceman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankdude View Post
You sell them online?
Yeah. I've had a couple of customers in the US and one from Iceland come to think of it. I made a post regarding this on ASC a few years back and i got flamed to the moon and back, so i just didn't advertise here.

Apparently, by saying my ghillies are professionally made, i have to be a veteran Army sniper or something. Anyhow, haven't had any complains

Last edited by Iceman; March 11th, 2007 at 22:18..
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 22:41   #30
Mongoose

I want to modify my ghillie. It's one whole piece and I think it could cause problems if I wanted to crawl as it will most likely snag on something. I'm thinking of getting an old set of BDU's and cut the front off from centre chest down and along the sides and fix the rest to the BDU's. If I'm really resourceful, I should almost have enough material on my existing ghillie to make two complete ghillie's.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Media