Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

helmet shopping

:

Gear Discussion

Old March 4th, 2015, 00:13   #16
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

yeah there's a tactical shop here in ottawa that has the whole opscore line in all their sizes, I'm thinking about going in and trying the base jump.. it's like 270 before tax.

I've measured my head and I get 60cm so that's on the cusp of being too big for the emerson.

The other one I found is the FMA which on one aliexpress site says I can get it in XL that will fit, but I've read the FMAs are not as nice as the emersons.
Old March 4th, 2015, 17:13   #17
naminator

Not trying to thread jack, but I have been interested in a helmet for some time. I wear a 7 5/8 hat when it is brand new. I was looking at the Emerson tactical helmet but it says it fits from 56-59CM. I assume I am somewhere around 59-60 cm. Is it possible to sand down the foam inside the emerson/FMA to make it fit better?
Were you maybe expecting 1+1 = donut?
naminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 18:23   #18
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

if I'm 60~, you're a couple sizes bigger than me so you have closer to 62-63cm I doubt you could get it to fit comfortably... also remember that not all company's hat sizes fit the same either... I wear a 7 3/8 tilley but when I got the same size proper patrol cap it was way too small. Their 53-59 listed could mean exact or with a comfort stretch or even loose.

That's the main reason I'm so hesitant to spend money for the sake of trying.
Old March 4th, 2015, 18:32   #19
naminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
if I'm 60~, you're a couple sizes bigger than me so you have closer to 62-63cm I doubt you could get it to fit comfortably... also remember that not all company's hat sizes fit the same either... I wear a 7 3/8 tilley but when I got the same size proper patrol cap it was way too small. Their 53-59 listed could mean exact or with a comfort stretch or even loose.

That's the main reason I'm so hesitant to spend money for the sake of trying.
I agree. This is a painful experience. This is almost as bad as trying to buy suites online (which I have done). You never know exactly what size this stuff will be.

I may just pull the trigger and pick up the Emerson. They are like 40$ on Ebay plus shipping so like 70$ total with exchange. If it doesn't fit I will try to flip it. If It does I will let you know XD
Old March 4th, 2015, 18:38   #20
waylander

Quote:
Originally Posted by naminator View Post
I agree. This is a painful experience. This is almost as bad as trying to buy suites online (which I have done). You never know exactly what size this stuff will be.

I may just pull the trigger and pick up the Emerson. They are like 40$ on Ebay plus shipping so like 70$ total with exchange. If it doesn't fit I will try to flip it. If It does I will let you know XD
The $40 ones are the cheaper all foam ones... I'd suggest you get the $60-$70 ones which have the suspension rig. They are a lot more comfortable and breath better. Easy way to tell is the cheaper ones just have the one strap that goes under your jaw and no dial on the back retainer (actually no back retaining strap at all). The expensive ones have a chin strap that cups the chin and has a back retainer with dial.

More expensive

Cheaper

Last edited by waylander; March 4th, 2015 at 18:44..
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 18:41   #21
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

found a few on ali express 68$ or so shipped with the suspension system and foam pads.

Here's the thing though, the head sizes for those ones are listed even smaller... 54-58 or something like that. Which is why I want to find a store that actually has them, or someone who owns one to try it on.
Old March 4th, 2015, 21:32   #22
Kungpow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
found a few on ali express 68$ or so shipped with the suspension system and foam pads.

Here's the thing though, the head sizes for those ones are listed even smaller... 54-58 or something like that. Which is why I want to find a store that actually has them, or someone who owns one to try it on.
You could always just wear a Pro-Tec helmet. It looks good enough to look tactical. It also looks good enough if you wear it while biking.
Kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 00:10   #23
DAS BOOT
Das_Hooters

The clone one I have is made by FMA. I got the Carbon fiber version on L/XL and it fits well with my large head.

http://www.shootercbgear.com/product...oducts_id=8231

but for the cheaper option there's the non-carbo one:

http://www.shootercbgear.com/product...oducts_id=9650
Old March 5th, 2015, 00:23   #24
cav.

Team Wendy EXFIL Bump helmet is quite a deal if you ask me...DSTactical has them! I sport one and it's comfy!
Old March 5th, 2015, 09:56   #25
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
I'll tell you right now as I used a replica helmet for two years; they suck.

They are generally small to medium sized so if you have a big noggin, good luck being comfortable.

As well, the padding in them is awful. Not comfortable at all and after several hours you will start getting mild headache. It just happens.

Replica helmets are hit and miss when it comes to durability. Mine saved me many times from bumps at PRZ. However I have seen others take falls and crack their helmet. Something to consider

A real Ops-Core base jump helmet is a small investment and the padding is a million times better than the replicas. They also actually come in different sizes. Everything is much more durable and just feeling the polymer shell, it feels more dense and durable to the touch.

The Team Wendy helmets are the Lambo of helmets. By far the most comfortable and the headlock system they use is better than the Ops-Core's. You literally don't have to clip the chin strap and it will stay on your head if you hung upside down, comfortably too. The polymer shell is of similar quality to the Ops-Core, nothing super special about that.

One thing to consider with the Team Wendy Bump however is compatibility with accessories, accessory availability, and accessory pricing. The Team Wendy helmet is about the same priced shipped as an Ops-Core, but that's where it ends. Most of the accessories like ComTac/Sordins adapters double in price as the TW helmet uses a different side rail system. As the Ops-Core is a more popular option and has a much larger customer base, especially in defense, there are many more accessories compatible with the Ops-Core's platform than Team Wendy's. This is also something to consider.

Telling you right now; drop the money on a "real" helmet and be done with it forever, or until it breaks. Replicas are just for cosplay, in my opinion.

Last edited by Zack The Ripper; March 5th, 2015 at 10:01..
Zack The Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 10:06   #26
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungpow View Post
You could always just wear a Pro-Tec helmet. It looks good enough to look tactical. It also looks good enough if you wear it while biking.
You missed the part where I said it was more for hanging safety gear from, ie goggles and facemask and hearing pro/radio.

I don't need it for the sake of actually being a helmet, as I don't blindly run into shit. lol I haven't had a single incident where I needed melon protection. So your suggestion is completely divergent from my needs.

If I could integrate all my straps and shit onto a hat, I would much rather wear a hat, but since an operator styled helmet has mounts to put all the gear I need to wear or mounts that I can adapt to my need, that's the reason I'm shopping for one, and the ONLY reason.

Added head protection, camera mount, nvg mount, gear whore factor is only an added effect to the objective.

Last edited by lurkingknight; March 5th, 2015 at 10:10..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 11:46   #27
brock0

The difference between spending $70 and $300 is not a huge one, and Zack makes the widely accepted point that spending for quality is almost always the best way to go.

I was in the same boat as you - sick of attaching a bunch of shit directly to my head, and getting a helmet (even a repro) was a huge quality of life improvement. If it's the "final piece" to complete your loadout, then why not go quality. If there are other areas need attention, you can get a couple years and an idea about what you like or don't out of an Emerson or comparable.

You said you wear a 7 3/8 hat, and I also wear a 7 3/8 hat and the Emerson one size fits most helmet fits me fine.

I think you just need to pull the trigger one way or another

Last edited by brock0; March 5th, 2015 at 11:50..
brock0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 11:55   #28
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

that's true enough... I got one more ace up the sleeve... I'm going to try and make a custom strap for everything that will mount to my hat via velcro I'll sew onto it. Since I have in my possession a pretty gnarly sewing machine that can probably sew luggage if it weren't so small.
Old March 8th, 2015, 19:18   #29
naminator

I picked up a emerson clone. I believe it is the more expensive one because ut has modular foam pads inside.

Fits quite well.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion