Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

The Force Recon & MARSOC Thread

:

USA

Old October 19th, 2009, 23:29   #1
Conker

The Force Recon & MARSOC Thread

(I deleted the whole first post as it isn't what it kindov evolved a lot from what it started as)

Welcome to ASC's (un)Official Coyote Brown & Khaki World! Your place for MARPAT and new-old-school woodland in the OEF era.

FORCE RECON & MARSOC THREAD

Some great resources:
http://miairsoft.proboards.com/index...y&thread=35673
(french) http://www.france-airsoft.fr/forum/i...howtopic=99783
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...ations-Command
http://picasaweb.google.pl/dominikusmc/MSOB#
http://www.specwargear.com/FSBE2.html

And as always...
http://www.google.ca/

Last edited by Conker; November 15th, 2013 at 04:09..
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:43   #2
Drake
E-01

I noticed your setup, it was pretty nice, good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conker View Post
What I was thinking:
-RRV
-Boonie
-MOLLE-mounted (RRV) Serpa for my MEU
-Back panel or MAP for my hydration system
(-Possibly an armband, since it's easier to access than a chest mounted MOLLE admin pouch, thus less chances of making noises... Useful for maps, lists, notes, etc.)

and maybe, for realism's sake, a PACA.

I was the team leader with a setup like that (RRV+Backpanel & MAP and a PACA), you may have noticed it wasn't very greenside oriented: it's fairly slick for what it is since the sides are open, but its definitely a blackside setup (I was wearing it for actual recon on that field during Red Invasion 2, very annoying).

You could try an MBSS (with or without PACA) for a lighter setup, although mag pouches can still hinder your ability to get low or crawl: you might use a 3 mag shingle on the front for easy access and move some mag pouches to a MOLLE belt (MFR get issued an Eagle MOLLE belt w/ suspenders).

Although rarely used, Marines also get issued an FLC (or Super FLC) which fits nicely over a PACA or by itself and lets you carry a limited load (but you'll need a separate hydration carrier or canteens). Some people also still use old ALICE gear or other chest rigs etc. which means you don't get armor but you do get a smaller profile and lighter weight.

Old October 20th, 2009, 18:07   #3
pugs144

Nice find Drake.

pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 20:29   #4
Brakoo

I've seen them wear a few of the HSGI rigs such as the Denali and Silverthrone. Actually the guy on Drake's pic and one of the guy on pugs' pic is using that. I used to own a Warlord and it was a pretty comfy rig, the shoulder strap was super wide and thick enough to offer good support without getting in the way of handling your weapon.

Brakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 20:54   #5
Conker

For looks, I really prefer Drake's setup, but for functionnality for recon ops, I see there's obviously better choices.

I'm unsure of the load capacity (edit: and repartition) with a setup in the like of an ALICE kit, as I at least need on me (and I'd prefer to do without a pack):
-4+1 mags (Currently, 54 bbs locaps)
-2+1 GBB mags
-Mag drop pouch
-Binoculars
-Paper (for notes)
-Hydration carrier
-Maps
-Light snack
-Radio (+ headset)

I think that's all... If you think of anything else, feel free to post it.

In the meanwhile, some more pics I found to try to make a decision...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6pe2.jpg (89.6 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg 9nx5.jpg (77.6 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 26tx3.jpg (173.2 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg 27af5.jpg (168.7 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg 43ia7.jpg (126.0 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by Conker; October 20th, 2009 at 20:58..
Old October 20th, 2009, 20:56   #6
-Skeletor-
Quote:
I'm unsure of the load capacity with a setup in the like of an ALICE kit, as I at least need on me (and I'd prefer to do without a pack):
You can add as many or as little ammo pouches as you like. Each Alice M16 magpouch holds 3x mags.
Old October 20th, 2009, 20:58   #7
Conker

Thanks for the info Skeletor.

I guess I'll have to check that out at the surplus myself then!

EDIT: More pics found on Wannabe.

Last edited by Conker; October 20th, 2009 at 21:39..
Old October 20th, 2009, 21:53   #8
Drake
E-01

Quote:
-4+1 mags (Currently, 54 bbs locaps)
-2+1 GBB mags
-Mag drop pouch
-Binoculars
-Paper (for notes)
-Hydration carrier
-Maps
-Light snack
-Radio (+ headset)

I think that's all... If you think of anything else, feel free to post it.

In the meanwhile, some more pics I found to try to make a decision...

I'm looking at putting together something more greenside-ish myself.

The setup I'm considering (kosherness is debatable) is SuperFLC with two (2) triple mag shingles to keep a low profile, with pistol mags, a canteen, utility pouch, or extra mag pouches on the belt. An MOLLE belt can be used if more needs carrying (like 40mm shells).

Dunno what pistol you're using, if its a single stack 1911 you can use Eagle style mag pouches (or the PANTAC repros) and remove the adjustable covers, which lets you fit 2 mags in each pouch (so 4 in a double).

My biggest problem right now is finding a holster. I'd rather not use a dropleg when crawling around and I can't really find a MOLLE one I like (Eagle G-Code is the closest to acceptable) and I'm not sure the FLC is rigid enough to mount it properly.
Old October 20th, 2009, 21:56   #9
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I'm looking at putting together something more greenside-ish myself.

The setup I'm considering (kosherness is debatable) is SuperFLC with two (2) triple mag shingles to keep a low profile, with pistol mags, a canteen, utility pouch, or extra mag pouches on the belt. An MOLLE belt can be used if more needs carrying (like 40mm shells).

Dunno what pistol you're using, if its a single stack 1911 you can use Eagle style mag pouches (or the PANTAC repros) and remove the adjustable covers, which lets you fit 2 mags in each pouch (so 4 in a double).

My biggest problem right now is finding a holster. I'd rather not use a dropleg when crawling around and I can't really find a MOLLE one I like (Eagle G-Code is the closest to acceptable) and I'm not sure the FLC is rigid enough to mount it properly.
I wouldn't advise you MOLLE mounted holster on FLC... I have an issue CB one and I almost avoid putting pouches on the upper portion of it.
Old October 20th, 2009, 21:58   #10
Conker

Great, let me know if what you'll have settled on!

I'm indeed using a single stack 1911 (MEU). For the holster, I was thinking of a MOLLE-mounted Serpa (if I get the MOLLE route or, to an extent, maybe belt-mounted) as I don't have much trust and overall appreciation in a nylon holster (mostly for the reasons enumerated by Brakoo this weekend).
Old October 20th, 2009, 22:09   #11
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince S View Post
I wouldn't advise you MOLLE mounted holster on FLC... I have an issue CB one and I almost avoid putting pouches on the upper portion of it.
That's what I figured (I have an older MOLLE II zippered FLC here, never bothered trying).

Maybe I can find a setup that works with the MOLLE belt.

edit: something like a W*satch (without plates) seems interesting, too. Stick to single mags in the front so you can get low, shove the pistol in one of the mag pouches...

Last edited by Drake; October 20th, 2009 at 22:15..
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 17:08   #12
bakercompany

USMC Greenside

Hey guys,
I've had a USMC greenside kit in the works for a while now, figured I'd show you all and explain it.

Besides the older FR/greenside pics above, there's not much photo evidence I can find of what Marines currently wear when not wearing armour. There's the FLC, privately purchased chest rigs, and not much else. I have an old woodland FLC--it's pretty big on me. I got a Tru-Spec RACK--it's way too big on me.

Then, I noticed some grunts here and there taking the MOLLE belt from their FLC and attaching old ALICE suspenders, and I thought I'd run with that as a concept. So, I got an ATS War Belt and made my own PLCE-style harness out of some MARPAT cordura. Please keep in mind the whole thing's very much a work in progress, including the pouch set up.

From left to right: Two double M4 pouches of my own design and manufacture, Tru-Spec MOLLE Canteen/GP (added surface-mount fastex myself), USSOCOM (that's what the tag says) IFAK, custom utility pouch, two USMC issue frag pouches.

The canteen is there for somewhere to store it; the MOLLE on the back of the harness is for an almost-finished MARPAT hydration pouch for my Source USMC 3L tactical, which happens to be where I scrounged the sternum strap for the harness.

When designing this (my 2nd attempt actually; the first was a TT MAV/Arktis NL hybrid that was...too big!), some of the major issues were:
1. My size (5'8", 130lbs)
2. Compatible with ILBE Assault Pack.
3. Ability to go prone and not be laying on all my mags.
4. Points on harness to attach rolled-up field tarp/poncho.
There are some MOLLE real-estate issues I know, but as I said it remains a WIP, and most issues can be solved through good pouch layout, which will change as soon as I get some more Coyote 498 edge tape.

Feedback appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030016.JPG (1.15 MB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg P1030018.JPG (1,002.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P1030019.JPG (1.00 MB, 57 views)
bakercompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 18:34   #13
Conker

Indeed I've never seen this in real pics, but I like the idea and it's looking pretty good! Would you mind sharing some "action pics" with this in the field?
Old October 30th, 2009, 00:58   #14
bakercompany

I'd love to, but I'm afraid I don't have any. I've only fielded it once and I didn't have a camera on me then. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have an opportunity to get it dirty anytime soon either. But if you want some more specific shots of the rig I'd be happy to take them.

In the meantime, I'm been sifting through all of the USMC pics I've saved off MP.net over the years, and here's the best greenside stuff I could come up with:

Marines training 2007:

Marines training 2008:

Marines training 2009:

I don't recall any specialized units among these pics; you can see stand-alone FLC belts and some with ALICE/makeshift suspenders in a few of the 2009 pics. Otherwise it's mostly FLCs. I wish the pics would embed as their actual size...help please?

Last edited by bakercompany; October 30th, 2009 at 01:00.. Reason: Double-posted some photos.
bakercompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 06:31   #15
Drake
E-01

I think part of the problem with finding "recent" pics is there just hasn't been much greenside stuff being performed since 2001: maybe some in Afghanistan, but Iraq would be mostly urban and probably still pretty heavily armored considering the nature of urban combat (or being out in the open/desert).

Otherwise you most likely look like a UAV driver :P

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > USA