Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Vehicles in airsoft and milsim

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old October 14th, 2009, 20:44   #1
Ace of Spades©

Vehicles in airsoft and milsim

I hope this has not been covered already, but after watching a couple of video's where trucks and pickups where being used I started to wonder how useful they would be in the larger games that are held up in Canada.

I may pick up an nice old Suzuki Samurai / Sidekick and have at her as long as vehicles have any use.

So what are you impressions and views on their utility.

Quote:
My gun is like a Land Rover, when it works, its great. Problem is, its a Land Rover, so it never works...
Ace of Spades© is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 20:47   #2
Forever_kaos

Totally going to build a home made tank of sorts once I buy all the goodies I want lol

I think it'd be pretty cool and useful, field allowing.
Forever_kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 21:04   #3
Spawn28
I am manly hear me squeek

Send a message via MSN to Spawn28
been at a few games where trucks were used and worked awsome but makes ya think twice about laying on the road at night knowing there is a truck with a half dozen guys in it 8)

they also work well as mobil respaws and medivac's

Just my opinion dont shoot the driver or hisWindsheild/headlights mind ya the odd one is enevidable

Last edited by Spawn28; October 14th, 2009 at 21:08..
Spawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 21:23   #4
drew2r

Send a message via Skype™ to drew2r
i saw a game were they did a VIP protection scenario with a convoy of cars that was pretty bad ass, and a few other large sale milism events with vehicles involved as well. I think that as long as you have to room to use vehicles it can be a great add on to a game.
drew2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 21:29   #5
Ace of Spades©

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2r View Post
i saw a game were they did a VIP protection scenario with a convoy of cars that was pretty bad ass, and a few other large sale milism events with vehicles involved as well. I think that as long as you have to room to use vehicles it can be a great add on to a game.
Size was my main concern. I'm doing research into Mini-SUV's (aka the Suzuki Sidekick). Max it can carry is 4 dudes comfortably and still get around quite well. Mount a M249 on a roll-cage and you have a nice QRF / mobile recce vehicle.

Quote:
My gun is like a Land Rover, when it works, its great. Problem is, its a Land Rover, so it never works...
Ace of Spades© is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 22:13   #6
DaRkCoMmAnDo

Have you seen that tank made off the chassis of an argo, or gator or whatever? I wanna make that
Old October 14th, 2009, 22:32   #7
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

I like when veh. in milsims are used for logistic and troop transport/medevacs. Not as armored veh.

On a large field, it pay to have a motorised team as QRF or Medevacs. Quickpass game had this in a way, and it was a must.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 23:51   #8
Jensenman

Hehe oddly enough I bought a 1977 chevy half ton 4x4 with just the intention of using it as a daily driver. But now the truck needs a rebuild.....well so far I plan on painting it desert tan, fabricating up some bumpers and roll cage and go from there. This truck will be perfect for our outdoor games. I will start a build thread as soon as I can get some more cash together and am able to get it to my shop. If anyone has any other ideas post em up and the worst thing I can say is I can't afford that. :P

Jensen
Jensenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 12:10   #9
Oborous

Vehicles are fun to play with, but offer a variety of challenges. I've seen some excellent use of vehicles that really added to the game (i.e. Claybank), and seen some really poor implementations.

A vehicle specific briefing needs to be given to all players, ensuring that people know who is allowed to drive the vehicle, where it is allowed to drive, and how fast it's allowed to drive. Rules of Engagement need to be discussed, due to the glass. Vehicle destruction rules need to be decided upon.

Whenever done well, they're a hoot and offer some different capabilities to airsoft.

What vehicle destruction rules/ rules of engagement have you guys seen that have worked well?
Oborous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 13:00   #10
Danke

I've played with a truck involved in Pentiction.

One scenario had the truck as target that Blue had to protect, and Red had to destroy with a RPG gunner. The truck would be rolled up the road as you took ground. The RPG gunner would try to hide from the sweeps and hit the truck after it passed by his location.

Another had it used to move troops up into action as like moving cover.

A night game had the Red team using it as a rolling security patrol. Somehow they got ambushed by the Blue team who seized it and used it to infiltrate the village where the objective was.

It really ratchets up the danger level though, you have to have a very level headed driver who's not going to try and crash a barrier or wind up flipping it with a bunch of passengers in the bed.
Old October 15th, 2009, 19:07   #11
MillerBRo

yeah Danke has a good point, when we use vehicles we only put trusted players or staff in them (and we dont allow people to go prone anywhere near the road! lol). It gives the RPGs something to shoot with their foamy rounds too lol

That said when used safely vehicles add a whole new level to the games
MillerBRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 19:10   #12
rustysniper

Would be welcome at Operation "Unfinished Business" next season....
Old October 15th, 2009, 20:19   #13
drk242

we use a pick up truck on our field for games. it has been very successfully for us. as long as all know what roads are for trucks and that no laying down in the road means at all our any part of you. for us it has worked out being said we have 2-3 designated drivers and they know every hide rabbit hole and dash path, on top of never taking the truck over say 10-12. the truck has been used as an out objective a personnel carrier med wagon transport. it has been used in IED attack and defend scenarios, the limits are not ever in sight. luckily our team has been blessed with players that care more about the safety of everyone involved more than the win. the game can be run again ... but do you really want to run over your team?
drk242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 12:24   #14
Dart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
I've played with a truck involved in Pentiction.

One scenario had the truck as target that Blue had to protect, and Red had to destroy with a RPG gunner. The truck would be rolled up the road as you took ground. The RPG gunner would try to hide from the sweeps and hit the truck after it passed by his location.

Another had it used to move troops up into action as like moving cover.

A night game had the Red team using it as a rolling security patrol. Somehow they got ambushed by the Blue team who seized it and used it to infiltrate the village where the objective was.

It really ratchets up the danger level though, you have to have a very level headed driver who's not going to try and crash a barrier or wind up flipping it with a bunch of passengers in the bed.
Level headed driver? trusted players and staff?... you guys know it was me that was driving right? :P

Jk jk yah you really REALLY need to be on the look out for other players and whats around you. especially using a vehicle in a night game, fogging up masks, dark, players everywhere.... it can get dangerous.

Also the one that we were using was someones personal vehicle so if that happens on your field make sure they sign a waiver stating that any damage that happens from it being shot and what not is not the responsibility of the field owner.
Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:35   #15
BIG

We used a pick-up and an ATV in our games this summer and it was a lot of fun!

The same pick-up was used in 2 ways depending of the senario. either as a light armored vehicule (we let the side windows open and you can shoot the driver or destroy the trcuk with an RPG) or heavy armored vehicule (we closed the side windows and then you need a RPG to immobilise the vehicule. you need to installe a demo charge to destroy it and an engineer can repair an immobilised vehicule. it then can become an objectif inside the game)

It was fun. I'm planning to build a box to put in the truck bed. The box can carry 4-6 trooper and will have a small turret equiped with a nerf RPG + AEG for support.

It will be fun and won't cost too much. + I get to use the truck on normal days. Just add the box for games.

Last edited by BIG; October 18th, 2009 at 08:38..
BIG is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures