Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Ka-Bar, or Khukuri?

:

Gear Discussion

Old August 6th, 2006, 23:25   #1
Spas-Tick22

Send a message via MSN to Spas-Tick22 Send a message via Yahoo to Spas-Tick22
Ka-Bar, or Khukuri?

I am wondering which i shoud get? a real Ka-Bar runs the gambit of $40-120...while a Khukuri is a bit more expensive ($60-$500 from what i have seen)it is also a bit more efficent (a Ghurka Knife for the Un-informed). I do alot of camping/hunting, and need advise on which style to get. My attire for Airsoft is pretty much a collection of things i have been given/purchased, and i dont really care how dumb carrying a Khukuri actually is, what i care about is how it functions, and being informed induviduals (mostly) i would like personal opinions on these two types of combat knife.

(Pics Avalible on request if needed for an idea what either knife is)

*note: this is in no way related to being a tard on the feild and getting "Knife Kills", but is related to airsoft as both are known by players and even sometimes worn in some matches in airsoft for realism.

Primary:
G&G M4

Secondary:
Unknown Company MARSOC 1911
Spas-Tick22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 23:52   #2
NuttyHunter

Send a message via MSN to NuttyHunter Send a message via Yahoo to NuttyHunter
I'm going to come at this from the perspective of hunting/camping/fishing. Ka-bar.

Why- It is good for gutting (As for slicing open and shape is more convenient for cutting around inside the cuts) as well as being adaptable to a filleting knife. The Khukuri is much worse at filleting. Any knife of that shape is. There's a very specific skill required to fillet with that thing. (yes I called it a thing). The Kabar is a good... multi-tool. It's functional for lots of different things whereas the Khukuri just... looks cool.

The Khukuri is most effective as a weapon- used in an attack or as slicing a throat..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khukuri <- I found this to go with what I'm saying.

Looks cool vs functional.

The Ka-bar= The knife's success can be attributed to its balance of weight, length, and price. <- taken from Wiki again. It is definetly a more practical blade.

They both are cool so it's LCF+Practical V.S LCF+Slice a man open....

Your call...

Megan

- You wish to buy your boyfriend some airsoft stuff and/or video games for christmas
- You enjoy playing airsoft
- You enjoy playing video games
- You like to drink beer
- You seem to have a reasonably healthy obsession with sex

Do you happen to have like, a sister, who is like you in all these ways and is single, and lives in Toronto
?
~ Lady *Lucky* *Lass* Sparks~
NuttyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 00:07   #3
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants

Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
Kbar hands down. The more common decision is Hatchet or Machete, whick is when most in the know folks get a kukri. But for camping In temparate North america, KBar by design function and quality.
Cheers
Armyissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 00:19   #4
Droc
IMHO carrying knives in airsoft should be for a reason. I carry a swiss army knife for utility purposes, and a fold out, black-bladed hunting knife for quick gear modifications(straps tangled, or spur of the moment goggle modification) and other situations where the basic swiss army blade doesnt do the trick.
Generally large blades like the Khukuri arnt a great idea in airsoft because they dont server much purpose and aside from being in its sheth, serves no purpose other then looks.
I have played in games and have been doing ambush scenarios and have allowed the enemy to get within arms reach before eliminating them. Last thing I want is someone to pull out a large blade and start clearing that bush....especially that bush that looks somewhat like cadpat.
"oh shit"
"what?"
"I was clearing some of that long grass with my machete"
"yah?"
"and it turns out there was a ghillied sniper in there"
"oh....I dont know you"

also, I have seen tempers REALLY flare in some games...having really large blades isnt always a great thing.

K-bar
Old August 7th, 2006, 00:28   #5
NuttyHunter

lol I can see it now and it's almost humorous;

'Hey Mike.... I just killed someone'

'Where do we hide the body?'

*True friends will bail you out of jail, truer still they'll be right beside you in the jail cell*

Megan

- You wish to buy your boyfriend some airsoft stuff and/or video games for christmas
- You like to drink beer

Do you happen to have like, a sister, who is like you in all these ways and is single, and lives in Toronto
?
Old August 7th, 2006, 00:33   #6
Spas-Tick22

It really dosent seem that big on this Ghurka, and hes what? 5'6? im sure that the model im looking at isnt really going to be so huge that it is unweildy, and illegal. plus, wouldnt it be better for clearing debris? not only that but most (if not all) come with 2 shorter knifes, one for sharpening and another for say cutting a can open. For the size problem, im a big guy, im sure i can weild, or sheith the larger 20 inch models with no trouble, but really im looking at a 12-15 inch model, mainly for clearing thorns and brush on a path any way.

Primary:
G&G M4

Secondary:
Old August 7th, 2006, 00:35   #7
Spas-Tick22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyHunter
lol I can see it now and it's almost humorous;

'Hey Mike.... I just killed someone'

'Where do we hide the body?'

*True friends will bail you out of jail, truer still they'll be right beside you in the jail cell*

Megan
i think that happened in a movie i seen once :O. but never the less, who would really stab someone over airsoft? plus i stated that this isnt about being a "knife killing" weapon, so lets just drop this b4 it goes to far eh? thnx

Primary:
G&G M4

Secondary:
Old August 7th, 2006, 00:36   #8
NuttyHunter

As was said before- there are some very serious snipers in airsoft. I would not want to be hailing and slashign a big piss-off knife and accidentally hit someone.

Really. Dangerous.

Just don't play where there's thick brush is all.

M

- You like to drink beer

?
Old August 7th, 2006, 00:36   #9
Generation vexed

I have had my K-Bar for about a year now, best knife i have ever had i think i have used it for almost everything, fishing, hunting, taking down saplings, finishing off a coyote that killed my buddies German Shepard um... and many other things to I just love it.

Generation vexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 00:37   #10
NuttyHunter

:O KBAR :O *sexy thang*

- You like to drink beer

?
Old August 7th, 2006, 00:43   #11
Generation vexed

thanks

Or wait... were you talking to me ?
Old August 7th, 2006, 00:44   #12
NuttyHunter

Lawlz. Yes yes- your hand is tres sexy!

No your KBAR is sexy. Duh

Megs (oh and that towel! I have sheets to match!!!!)

- You like to drink beer

?
Old August 7th, 2006, 00:51   #13
Droc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spas-Tick22

It really dosent seem that big on this Ghurka, and hes what? 5'6? im sure that the model im looking at isnt really going to be so huge that it is unweildy, and illegal. plus, wouldnt it be better for clearing debris? not only that but most (if not all) come with 2 shorter knifes, one for sharpening and another for say cutting a can open. For the size problem, im a big guy, im sure i can weild, or sheith the larger 20 inch models with no trouble, but really im looking at a 12-15 inch model, mainly for clearing thorns and brush on a path any way.

oh, you so gotta get a hat and wear it just like him.
Think of whats gonna happen if that guy falls? the thing is gonna go up his ass or hurt the hell out of his back.

Clearing brush in airsoft doesnt happen that often. Its loud and very dangerous. Since its a game we pride ourselves in being safe...
When the bush gets in the way, find another way or power through it.
Nothing beats quickpass 2 with those rasberry bushes that were 6 feet tall and packed so tight you could hardly move...saying screw it and going through resulted in numerous shreding of skin...but consider you could step on someone without even knowing it, having a blade out would have been a bad idea.

I have a real Khukuri thats about 45years old...2 machetes, I also have a 26" katana and a 34" broadsword...but just because I can weid them, doesnt mean they have anything to do with airsoft and none of them will ever end up at an airsoft game.
Old August 7th, 2006, 00:58   #14
Spas-Tick22

yeah, stupid place for it, but none the less, what really separates the Ka-Bar from the Kuhkuri? besides shape and cutting style

Primary:
G&G M4

Secondary:
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:03   #15
Generation vexed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyHunter
Lawlz. Yes yes- your hand is tres sexy!

No your KBAR is sexy. Duh

Megs (oh and that towel! I have sheets to match!!!!)
Sweet we should get together and find drapes that match to!!!!!!!!! :grin:

Anywho, I was thinking about putting my K-Bar on my set up, but after I thought about it, I always put my knife upside down so I can just unbuckle and pull it out, so its right side up, but after thinking, even if I unbuckle it without knowing and start running and it falls out you have a 7 inch blade on the field that no one knows about 8-O.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion