WE M4 CO2 Magazines Leaking

:

Doctor's Corner

Old February 13th, 2012, 23:42   #1
Huron
GabeGuitarded

WE M4 CO2 Magazines Leaking

Hi all,

I've got a bunch of CO2 magazines, almost all of which seep gas out the top when charged. It seems like the valve pin (can't remember the proper term - the pin that the valve knocker/hammer pushes in and releases gas) isn't closing the valve all the way, i.e. not returning to its original position after being depressed. Grenade weight oil hasn't helped the issue. However, I have two or three magazines that don't have this issue, at least one of which has been subjected to more use/abuse than the ones that are leaking.

I'm also having problems with the bolt catch engaging the bolt on empty. The only time it catches in time is when the magazine is low on gas or cooled down significantly enough to slow the cycle. Will filing the bolt catch as I've seen in searching around make it engage quick enough? If so I need a bit of guidance on how to get that part out of the receiver.

Thanks in advance
Old February 15th, 2012, 17:21   #2
Huron
GabeGuitarded

Anybody?
Old February 15th, 2012, 17:48   #3
z0ng

No clue on filing the bolt catch.

Sounds like you've got some dirt in your knocker valve. If you have a valve key unscrew the knocker valve from the mag and inspect/clean it. I do not know the name for it, but on the knocker valve itself there is a piece of metal (shaped like a c) that holds down a cup containing the spring which closes the valve. If you carefully remove this piece of metal the valve comes apart and you can fully clean and inspect the valve.
And when I say careful I mean it! The little C piece can go flying if you're not (good luck finding it if it launches itself across the room), same goes for the metal cup and the spring it holds although it won't fly as far... Learned this the hard way

If you don't have a valve key, go get one. They're not too costly and you're going to need it to be able to properly maintain your gas mags. If you have a GBB pistol it will also help you there if you need to work on any of the seals on those types of mags too.

After you remove the valve, disassemble it and clean all the surfaces (use q-tips or tightly rolled up paper towel to clean out the hole that the valve stem passes through. Inspect the o-rings for any damage, if they've got any tears or bits of rubber missing you might need to replace them. After you've cleaned the thing thoroughly reassemble it and lube up all the o-rings with grenade oil. Let it soak in for a bit (I used to just let them sit in a shot glass full of oil for a couple hours), shake off some of the excess oil and then install the valve back into the mag again. Make sure to screw it in nice and tight, nothing crazy though.

Hope that helps!

Team GHOSTS G-42
How to fix your WE M4 Mags
z0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 20:07   #4
Huron
GabeGuitarded

Perfect, I see your thread now too, thanks a ton mate.
Old February 15th, 2012, 21:37   #5
MOJO 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeGuitarded View Post
I'm also having problems with the bolt catch engaging the bolt on empty. The only time it catches in time is when the magazine is low on gas or cooled down significantly enough to slow the cycle. Will filing the bolt catch as I've seen in searching around make it engage quick enough? If so I need a bit of guidance on how to get that part out of the receiver.
First inspect the nub that triggers the bolt catch on the magazine that's activated by the BB follower. It could be worn/re-assembled incorrcetly/not engaged. If there is no issue with the mechanical workings on the magazines, take the bolt out and inspect the white plastic alligner that keeps the nozzel centered. It should be as far back as possible and a small hole should be visible just infront of it. If not slide it all the way back and secure it there by running some duct tape infront of it. This piece tends to wander, and after moving it to where it should be fixed all the issues with my gun, including the bolt catch not engaging.

Hope that helps!
MOJO 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 18:04   #6
Huron
GabeGuitarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJO 1 View Post
First inspect the nub that triggers the bolt catch on the magazine that's activated by the BB follower. It could be worn/re-assembled incorrcetly/not engaged. If there is no issue with the mechanical workings on the magazines, take the bolt out and inspect the white plastic alligner that keeps the nozzel centered. It should be as far back as possible and a small hole should be visible just infront of it. If not slide it all the way back and secure it there by running some duct tape infront of it. This piece tends to wander, and after moving it to where it should be fixed all the issues with my gun, including the bolt catch not engaging.

Hope that helps!
Yeah the follower nub is okay, I even tried stretching the spring to make it pop up quicker lol, which looks like the problem.

Do you mean the white piece over the black cylinder running inside the bolt? That's the only white piece on mine that I see. If it matters, this is a closed chamber system, so if you are referring to an open chamber bolt there are bound to be some big differences in the mechanism.

Update: the bolt stop function works with the slightest bit of pressure on the bottom of the magazine. Even inverting the gun is enough to get the bolt stop up far enough/quick enough.

EDIT: My safety also has something up with it, it allows me to select safe even when the hammer is down. This is a gen4 AWSS so i don't think it should be like this, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by Huron; February 20th, 2012 at 13:53..
Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner