Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

M4 metal body guide

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old September 1st, 2008, 02:19   #16
SnipersVenom

Send a message via MSN to SnipersVenom
just curiouse can you still order metal bodies from ehobby cuz i wanna get the zombie killer one, or does anyone have suggestions on where to look?
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:35   #17
Danke

Unlikely, your best bet is to buzz one of the importers and see what they can scare up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipersVenom View Post
just curiouse can you still order metal bodies from ehobby cuz i wanna get the zombie killer one, or does anyone have suggestions on where to look?
The Arnie's link is fine, you just need to be a member on the board to read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda86 View Post
Thanks Azathoth! Good info.

Just a couple things: when you say you need to recut the threads, is that only if you were trying to install an M4S front on it? I would assume if you use a standard RIS / foregrip, no thread mods are req'd?

When you pull the charging handle, the port cover flies open correct?

BTW: the link you attached to Arnies for recutting threads doesn't seem to work.
Danke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:57   #18
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusti69 View Post
sounds like im gonna have to file down a few bars on the front ends ris
No, not possible with an M4 body and a 416 front end. They are WAY different heights. You cannot simply "sand it down". You'd be taking off all or almost all of the material on the top of the front end. Which is not good at all.

Quote:
When you pull the charging handle, the port cover flies open correct?
No, on G&P's you have the ejection port sprung CLOSED. At least that's how my friend and I did it, who both have/had G&P metal bodies. We both never put in the fake bolt plate. He has a pro-win that cannot fit it, and I just thought it was useless when I have the port sprung closed.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 08:29   #19
Dusti69

Send a message via Yahoo to Dusti69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
No, not possible with an M4 body and a 416 front end. They are WAY different heights. You cannot simply "sand it down". You'd be taking off all or almost all of the material on the top of the front end. Which is not good at all..
yea suppose i can just remove the rear sight and slide the rds back a few bars as its only on 2 or 3 bars of the front end ris
the lower-ness of the metal body may rectify my rds's accuracy as the reticule needs to go lower but does not adjust any lower so then actually sitting a bit lower on the gun than it is now might make it more accurate i would hope
dont let the elitist gun snobs who only clicked on your post to thread shit tell you other wise (they are OHHHH so helpful here- they wont offer you any help but will be self rightous pricks cause they are CLEARLY 'pros' who overpaid for their guns roflmao)

Last edited by Dusti69; September 1st, 2008 at 09:38..
Dusti69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 15:23   #20
spartan117

Quote:
Working furniture?: No, when you pull the cocking handle, the port cover will open. The inner dust cover (fake bolt) will not work, it's too tight of a fit and may need modification to work.

Overall rating: 7.5/10
actually, the bolt plate works. The port cover stays open. It cannot be closed. Modification required.
spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:27   #21
Dusti69

ok so this is exactly how much height difference there is between a metal m4 body and the 416's front end. its quite a bit and also the 416's receiver had a bar coming out of the top rail to keep the front ris on straight, now its wobbly. as you can see its a g&p zombie killer body, everything was a very tight fit. there is barely any room at all for the inside bolt to slide back. im thinking about taking it apart and just removing it. the bolt cover doesnt have a latch and fly open when you pull the charging handle which is kind of disapointing along with my other gripes about the metal body. all my m4 mags are jg's and are very wobbly in the magwell. if you own a 416 i probly wouldnt reccomend getting a metal reciever for it as mine just doesnt really look like a 416 to me anymore unless you can find a lower metal receiver and be satisfied with your upper being plastic

things i had to dremel: the hook on the charging handle in order to fit the spring, the U shaped slot on the fixed stock, the nub that holds the bbs in on my mag in order for the mag to lock into place in the magwell
some of the body pins are pretty difficult to install, the selector switch is pretty stiff moving and slightly crooked, and the thing above the mag catch is pretty loose

p.s. it came with a metal hop up which wasnt nearly as difficult to assemble as id imagined
dont let the elitist gun snobs who only clicked on your post to thread shit tell you other wise (they are OHHHH so helpful here- they wont offer you any help but will be self rightous pricks cause they are CLEARLY 'pros' who overpaid for their guns roflmao)

Last edited by Dusti69; September 4th, 2008 at 10:31..
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:09   #22
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Dusti69, those rail guards make your front end so big.

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 23:59   #23
Dusti69

i know. it really looked crappy, i just kept thinkin where did my 416 go? but then after i got my g&p 552 rds back on it it really balanced it out
Old September 8th, 2008, 00:15   #24
Azathoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan117 View Post
actually, the bolt plate works. The port cover stays open. It cannot be closed. Modification required.
You can modify your G&P furniture to function like the TM. If you reverse the spring on the dust cover it will remain in the open position instead of closed as the instructions want you to do. You can use the charging handle to pull back the dummy bolt. I'm sure with modification or the right set of parts the ejection port can function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:32   #25
panda86

OK, now that I actually have a Dboys body, I can review it.

Brand: Dboys "Troy" M4 metal body

*** Insert picture here***

Manufacture type: cast aluminum / pot metal
Insignia / logo / selector finish: logos are engraved / painted
Finishes available: black
Insignias available: lots of different ones
Included with body: receiver pins, ejection port cover, forward assist knob, charge handle, mag catch
Working furniture?: The port cover will open when you pull the charge handle, but it's operation is inconsistent. The charge handle is loose in the body and wiggles a lot.
Metal hop up included?: NO
Fitment with gearbox: front wired TM box, very tight. rating: 6.5 / 10
Fitment with other parts on assembly: good, rating 8/10
Magazine fitment: tested stock TM M4, MAG plastic mid cap, KA VN 85 rnds, and Magpul PMAG. All fit, (*except for PMAG, see details following) but need a little effort to click in. The actual mag opening is slightly bigger than all the mags, but the alignment is off with the Hop up (see below).
The Magpul Pmag is slightly wider (front to back) and there is a small bump near the catch hole. This could be grinded down and the back of the mag sanded to make it fit, but I didn't want to do that.
Notes on assembly / issues with metal body:
There are no gaps or loose fit between upper and lower receiver halves. The push pin holes lined up nicely with the TM mechbox.
The one piece hop up I used (G&P) works great and shoots awesome, but the alignment with the mag BB port is slightly off, causing mag reloads to stick slightly. This may be due to the front wire setup (wires are close / touching mag release and the wires are a tight fit between the mechbox and receiver and the slot under the outer barrel.
Everything works, it's just a little tight in there.
The mag catch release from Dboys is a little different. The square "button" screws onto the post, as opposed to others I have seen where the button sits "in" the post, and is held down by a small screw. The Dboys method results in the button sitting outside of the body, and is rather loose.
The fire selector switch is also very "tight" with the TM gearbox. Skladfin on ASC recommends grinding the inside of the switch down to create some more clearance.
Overall rating: 7/10
It's a decent body since it's probably the cheapest and most widely available, but it's not perfect by any means. Expect to modify it slightly and have other metal parts on hand as the ones that come with it aren't the highest quality.

Last edited by panda86; October 8th, 2008 at 20:15..
panda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 20:14   #26
panda86

Updated info on Dboys review re: Magpul Pmag fitment and fire selector switch.
Old October 8th, 2008, 20:35   #27
Muffin

How did that Magpul receiver work out for you?
Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 21:26   #28
panda86

Good so far, I have to rewire my "interim" gearbox (dboys front wired) and install some bushings / shims before assembling everything.

Long term, I'd like to install a Systema revolution.

I'll do a review and update my Magpul review.
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:28   #29
damage

Send a message via Yahoo to damage
I have used this type of metal receivers in the past projects.
Brand:Hurricane M733

Manufacture type: Die cast aluminum
Insignia / logo / selector finish:all markings engraved
Finishes available: Gray
Insignias available: Colt
Included with body: Receiver pins, ejection port cover, forward assist knob and one piece metal hop up
Working furniture?: Same as TM M4 series if the parts are complete
Metal hop up included?: Yes
Fitment with gearbox: Almost all aftermarket gearboxes fits fine. Perfect for Prowin gearbox with minimal modifications.
Fitment with other parts on assembly: None
Magazine fitment: A bit tight if not using a TM M4 Mag. Minor filing required for other mags to fit.
Notes on assembly/issues with metal body: Everything fits like a glove.
Overall rating: 8/10.

Brand:Guarder SR15 Gen 1

Insignia / logo / selector finish:all markings laser etched
Finishes available: Flat Black
Insignias available: Knights
Included with body: Receiver pins, dust cover, ejection port cover, forward assist knob and plastic one piece hop up.
Metal hop up included?: No. Hop up is made of plastic
Fitment with gearbox: Almost all aftermarket gearboxes fits fine.
Fitment with other parts on assembly: Lower receiver need to be modified so that upper and lower will close properly.
Magazine fitment: A bit tight if not using a TM M4 Mag. Minor filing required for other mags to fit.
Notes on assembly/issues with metal body: Everything fits like a glove if the modified right.
Overall rating: 8/10.

Brand:Guarder SR16 Gen 2

Insignia / logo / selector finish:all laser etched
Finishes available: Flat Black
Insignias available:Knoght Stoner Rifle
Included with body: Receiver pins, ejection port cover, forward assist knob and one piece plastic hop up
Metal hop up included?: No
Fitment with other parts on assembly: None
Overall rating: 9/10.

Brand:King Arms Troy and NOVASKE

Insignia / logo / selector finish:all markings laser etched
Finishes available: Matte Black
Insignias available: Lots to choose from
Included with body: Receiver pins, dust cover, ejection port cover, forward assist knob, bolt release, gearbox pin, and one piece metal hop up.
Working furniture?: Same as TM M4 series if the parts are complete bolt release is funtional.
Metal hop up included?: Yes
Fitment with other parts on assembly:None
Magazine fitment: Mag wel is a bit tight for the mags. Minor filing required for other mags to fit.
Overall rating: 9.5/10.

Last edited by damage; October 14th, 2008 at 02:11..
damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:38   #30
spartan117

Oh yea for the magpul receiver, if you want to install a KA stock on it, you need to file down some parts at the rear.
spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications