Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

New to airsoft, opinions on what to buy

:

Newbie Tank

Old February 21st, 2010, 19:22   #1
kertef

Question New to airsoft, opinions on what to buy

Hello everyone, I am new to the world of Airsoft but have had an interest in it to a lesser degree for some time now. I am however an active participant in both IPSC and IDPA shooting disciplines and am now interested in getting my own gear for Airsoft so that I can participate to a higher degree in this fun sport as well.

I have browsed around at the different brands that people regard to be good choices, namely TM, G&G, CA, WA as well as AE. I however see so many mixed reviews about all of them that I am not sure what I should be looking for to start.

I am looking for both an MP5A5 style AEG (<350 FPS) for my main gun (Budget of around $500) and either an SVI, or 1911 style for my side arm (Will consider others given a good reliability track record, and the budget for the side arm will be around $350-$400). As far as the sidearm goes I am looking for something that has a good weight to it, is a FMU if possible, and GBB.

Any positive input would be greatly appreciated so I can post something in the wanted section and get into this great sport in full effect as soon as possible.

Thanks
kertef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 19:27   #2
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

for the SVI, look into Western Arms gbb pistols, pricey but nice

or TM hi-capa line, tons of upgrades available to make it look like the SVI or any kind of racegun you want, check the "amazing racegun thread" in the media section for pics
Old February 21st, 2010, 19:29   #3
Shooting Addict
* KNOWN LIAR *

For the MP5 TM's are good and are about 500 BNIB in Canada i belive. As for the secondary WA makes the best pistols out their IMO and they come in single stack 1911 or double stack 2011 flavor. The WA Hybrids are really nice SVI style pistol but i don't know how much it is in Canada.
You can tell a person over and over that 4 + 5 = 9 and show them the mechanics of how addition works, but at the end of the day when you look into their eyes you know damn well that in their heads they still see 4 + 5 = pineapple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Harden the fuck up, you liberal pussies.
Shooting Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 19:36   #4
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

because an av'd member who can access the classifieds should take hearsay advice from a non av'd one right
Old February 21st, 2010, 19:54   #5
Shooting Addict
* KNOWN LIAR *

Pusangani I've held the TM MP5 and i own a 6" Hybrid WA pistol, i find both to be good high quality guns no wonder you have the title dumbass under you username.
You can tell a person over and over that 4 + 5 = 9 and show them the mechanics of how addition works, but at the end of the day when you look into their eyes you know damn well that in their heads they still see 4 + 5 = pineapple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Harden the fuck up, you liberal pussies.
Shooting Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 19:57   #6
Huron
GabeGuitarded

INTERNET FIGHT OH SHI-

This isn't why we call him a dumbass anyways.

Now to contribute (questionably): There's more upgrade potential in a TM Hi-Capa compared to a WA I think, so that's something to keep in mind, although WA makes very nice GBB's.
Old February 21st, 2010, 20:13   #7
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Addict View Post
Pusangani I've held the TM MP5 and i own a 6" Hybrid WA pistol, i find both to be good high quality guns no wonder you have the title dumbass under you username.
oh goody you can read...next time come up with an original comeback instead of reading my handle smarty pants.

my point still stands
Old February 21st, 2010, 20:27   #8
Drow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusangani View Post
oh goody you can read...next time come up with an original comeback instead of reading my handle smarty pants.

my point still stands
He has a point, there's no need for what you said to him.
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 20:27   #9
Amos

Given your budget I would avoid WA stuff, upgrades are harder to find and generally cost ALOT more than TM stuff.

For a primary.. I'd look at a Classic Army MP5, secondary I'd look into TM hicapas
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 20:32   #10
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
He has a point, there's no need for what you said to him.
speculating about prices is helpful how? granted yes, he has held a TM Mp5 and the SVI, so that was useful input but I don't care for noobs calling me a dumbass tho so I could care less if he feels raw about it.

and Amos is right about the WA being more expensive, the TM would be a cheaper alternative, at least you don't have to worry about things going out of stock, and if realistic trades is what you're after, those can be had too, one part at a time if you don't have all the cash to blow right away.
Old February 21st, 2010, 20:33   #11
kertef

As far as the TM Hi Capas go, are they fine to shoot in games out of the box or is it best to change some of the parts?
Old February 21st, 2010, 20:37   #12
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

they work GREAT on propane right out of the box, you start having issues after you start messing with them, stock tm capas are excellent guns for gaming
Old February 21st, 2010, 20:38   #13
theguy

TM hi-capas are probably the most rock-solid pistols out of the box on the market today.

I have been shooting mine for probably 18 months, still works great.

Minimal maintinence, and i am pretty rough on it.

Chinese proverb
theguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 20:52   #14
Sportco
would-be wine thief

If your use to shooting real rifles... bare in mind that these things are 6mm smooth bore...man my ruger mini14 is a sniper rifle compared to these thing... and the mp5 stuff has rather short barrels, small batteries and mecanical issues with most brands.

You might want to consider a tm m4a1 (some guy is selling one for 350$ on AC)... use it for one year and if you dont like it, you can sell it and get your money back... if you like it, truck loads of aftermarket parts available and they grow old gracefully...

For the pistol... try both green gas ans co2 version... again with your background you might appreciate the precision at range the 350 fps co2 vs the 315 fps green gas will afford you!

regards,

Level 3 Directory assistance operator
Level 1 skapegoat
It ain't the years, it's the miles.
Sportco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 20:54   #15
kertef

Well it sounds like that will be my best bet for a side arm. As for my main my other option other than an mp5a4 would be a short variant M4 such as this, would CA be a good choice in this one as well?
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank