Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

so why does crosman suck?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old June 19th, 2005, 00:21   #1
jamesjost

Lightbulb so why does crosman suck?

gday. i am at the moment in the market for my first serious airsoft gun. i bought a spring crosman p22 (230fps) and loved plinking with it in my room and would like to get hardcore into the sport. ive read alot of beginner faq's and threads, and they all pressure towards AEG's. i dont know about anyone else, but i dont happen to have 600 bucks lying around to blow on such things. I would really love an AEG, but cash is a problem . i was looking at a crosman spring rifle the stinger r34, it looks decent, but in all the reviews people crap hardcore on crosman. yet the only AEG's i could find in my range (around 200-300$) shoot like 150 fps. personally id like the guy im shooting to feel somthing other than a light tap. the r34 shoots 300fps, and i have yet to find any solid evidence ina review to its apparent crappyness, all they say is "crosman guns suck ass because i said so nya nya". if anyone could enlighten me on A: why crosman apparently sucks, and B: if they do what would be a decent reccomendation for somthing in my price range and the 300fps range. thanks to all.
James Jost
jamesjost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 00:41   #2
[Avtomat]

Crossman guns aren’t crap (not a lot anyways), we just look down on them because they are cheap guns, and kids can get a hold of them easily, and that they are always on the news and stuff. If you don’t have the money, it’s alright. Just save up and sooner or later you will have the money. And that r34 sure sounds powerful for a Springer; I think it only goes up to 250FPS. And the name soft air just makes me want to barf.
WE hi-capa 5.1 striker - gone
TM Ak47 - gone
Western Arms Inifnity 3.9 - gone

Get your answers here!
Answers: $5
Good Answers: $10
Correct Answers: $20
Well-researched Answers complete with reference: $150/hr plus materials
[Avtomat] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 00:49   #3
Plant

Send a message via MSN to Plant
If you don't have the money, its simple... either get a job or this sport is not for you.
Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 03:14   #4
ziegs2020

Or steal. Sport of kingz.
ziegs2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 04:25   #5
Daes

Admittedly, I have 2 Crosman Pulse M70's and a Pulse 50 which are great for safe, low velocity, short ranged plinking. They were a great little toy to get introduced to the sport but are severely lacking against any "real" airsoft guns.

The M70's are full auto, easily modifiable mini-AEG's "meaning you can re-wire them for other batteries". They have a capacity of 80+ rounds, which are gravity fed "what a joke". They’re a cheaper and better alternative to the faulty R32 and R34, and being full-auto, they give you a chance in close quarters battles. If you get a chance, take apart your little handgun and look at the advertised "hop-up". A rubber seal is not hop-up. This means that you are spending $59.99 U.S. for the R34, or in Canada, a 200% markup at $120. The R34 will be very inaccurate at anything past 20 feet with a non-existent hop-up.

You can get a TM MP5K for ~$330, plus stick battery, charger, discharger for ~$130. Add a few bags of ammo and you are looking at around ~$520+ dollars with s/h. This may seem like a lot but it is an investment that will last for years, compared to the months that a springer will last you in combat conditions. Plus a TM gun actually has a real hop-up greatly increasing your guns usability. AND double plus, TM guns may be plastic parted but they are made from much higher quality impact resilient plastic then the toy plastic that is found in the R34.

What I personally feel about Crosman products is that they do show use for gaming. If the friends that you are playing against are only using Crosman products too, then the gamers will be fun and equally balanced, if not only a little underpowered. Walk up against a full-auto AEG in a game of range and accuracy, kiss you arse good-bye.

-Daes-
-I registered just to answer this post... Good ol' Crosman and their misleading "hop-up".
Daes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 10:17   #6
Boombap

^ Good explanation. If you're looking for a decent gun at a cheap price, getting a used AEG is a good option. Provided you are 18 or older, you can get in contact with a regional representative and get access to the classifieds. You'll find what you're looking for there.
Boombap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 10:27   #7
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
My Crosman SoftAir P99 is ok, nothing special. When you chrony it with REAL ammo (.2g BBs) it shoots at 150fps. Claims of 230fps is with .12g BBs.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 10:31   #8
hummermaniac88

Send a message via MSN to hummermaniac88
Well, the simple theory is like wether you buy a civic or a mercedes. You get what you payed for.(performance and quality wise)
Canadian Retailers: Button at far top of the screen. If they are not listed, DONT buy from them.
Teams and people to meet: Team section, go see and contact folks.
Search button: Learn to love it.
If your profile is empty, we cant direct you to help.
If you're under 18, wait.
hummermaniac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 11:21   #9
Droc
They are not airsoft.
simple as that

they are soft air

close, but different
Old June 19th, 2005, 12:20   #10
Korneil

Send a message via MSN to Korneil
I HAD a crossman P22. It broke apart about 2-3 weeks after I got it. The material crossman uses for their softair guns is just plain crap, it's not good enough to withstand(sp?) the battles. Good for plimking but nothing more. Though it can be a good learning tool. Once it is broken tear it apart to see how it works, it gives you hints on how the airsoft works. Opened mine and learned a lot about which part does what. So I won't break my TM M16A2 when I'll maintain it or eventually modify it.

Crossman have pros and cons. But it is just too weak in structure and power to be battle worth.

My 2 cents

Korneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 12:28   #11
bean
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to bean
I have used all of the crossman ones so far because my friend has them. They are fun when all of us are useing them and you can play in your shorts and tee shirt. Yes the plastic they are made of is extremely cheap no they odnt have any power behind them. The most powerful is the shotgun i think they clal it a stinger. There not close to airsoft in terms of performance and youll find yourself with more welts than hits. Best bet is to save up and if you dont have the money for an aeg get something like a shotgun there like 380 which isnt all that bad.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 13:07   #12
jamesjost

thanks guys!

wow all the replies. that give me something to chew on. thanks for all the great advice. i think im just gonna save up all of my soccer reffing money this summer and the day i turn 18 (august 28 ) im gonna buy a tokyo marui. probably a M4 or a H&K MC51. thanks for all the help!!!
jamesjost is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion