Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Support gunner

:

Newbie Tank

Old April 24th, 2013, 20:40   #1
hachey

Support gunner

I've decided to take on the support gunner role, though it would be fun. Starting to notice that alot of the bigger games will have a amo cap or no auto alowed. I understand the over shooting aspect but any other reason?
hachey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 20:44   #2
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachey View Post
I've decided to take on the support gunner role, though it would be fun. Starting to notice that alot of the bigger games will have a amo cap or no auto alowed. I understand the over shooting aspect but any other reason?
No auto allowed.. generally only indoors, or at Zombie games where you are shooting unarmed players.

Ammo CAP for greater realism so that having a saw or any gun for that matter is not a license to hose.

If you want to run a support gun.. it is a benefit to be in shape.. the gun is heavier .. and you are often on the flanks.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 21:12   #3
hachey

Sorry should of been more specific I do have mk43. I do understand the hosing down problem, my intention was to try to bring a realistic curve to the game. But as for the zombie games well....lol does sound like fun.
Old April 24th, 2013, 21:30   #4
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

I'm running a SAW this season.. M249, I run it from midcap mags, no bulky fragile always crapping out box mag, and realistic ammo supply, works fine, and is loads of fun.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 21:36   #5
hachey

Thanks for you time. I do appreciate your feedback.
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:56   #6
m102404
Tys

The main reason of an ammo cap is to make people move. With limited resources you've got to relocate to get a good shot, you need to be sure of your ambush, you can't suppress indefinitely, hunkering down to endlessly plink at each other doesn't work....etc.

And...the ammo limit should try and reflect the difference in firepower between different types of weapons to add to the gameplay.

Ammo limits/box mags/etc...do nothing to limit hosing the field, that's up to the guy doing the shooting. The hosing is just briefer and comes to an end sooner.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 17:02   #7
hachey

Now with all that said, in your opinion (opinion only) do you think that they would consider letting a support weapon in? Again just opinions or even negotiate pointers to help plea a case.
Old April 25th, 2013, 18:21   #8
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

most games usually have special rules for LMGs, but they're typically not allowed indoors unless everyone knows you really well
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 20:09   #9
nichtessen

Is it possible to run the cyma AKM as a "rpd" just a shortened version. Was planning on getting abit better gearbox with a mosfet for a 3-4 round burst and a real rpd bipod with either ak mid caps or a drum mag. Can this be labeled as a support weapon or just a standard AR ?
Old April 25th, 2013, 20:21   #10
Disco_Dante

It would be an AKM with a drum mag. The RPK has a reinforced receiver that is aesthetically different. The barrel would also be too short for you to mount an RPK bipod. If you run it with regular magazines, then you're just using an AK with a bipod, there's no need for special rules.

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 20:21   #11
Latvian291
a.k.a. Submachinehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichtessen View Post
Is it possible to run the cyma AKM as a "rpd" just a shortened version. Was planning on getting abit better gearbox with a mosfet for a 3-4 round burst and a real rpd bipod with either ak mid caps or a drum mag. Can this be labeled as a support weapon or just a standard AR ?
An RPD and an AKM aren't the same animal. The RPD was designed in the last days of world war two by a different firearms engineer. The AK was developed by Kalashnikov beginning in 1947, although the AKM wasn't introduced until the 60s IIRC.

If you are running an imaginary gun you made yourself I guess it can be anything you want.
Old April 25th, 2013, 20:34   #12
hachey

You have been really helpful, so far this has been a good forum for my few questions. Thanks everyone for taking the time. Just waiting to go out and have fun. And one day I'll be able to bring out my son. Seems to be a better environment than paintball.
Old April 25th, 2013, 20:34   #13
hachey

Much better
Old April 25th, 2013, 20:49   #14
nichtessen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
An RPD and an AKM aren't the same animal. The RPD was designed in the last days of world war two by a different firearms engineer. The AK was developed by Kalashnikov beginning in 1947, although the AKM wasn't introduced until the 60s IIRC.

If you are running an imaginary gun you made yourself I guess it can be anything you want.
I know they are not the same, was just wondering if needed I could run it as an RPD type AKM. Pretty much just using a drum mag if needed to be a support.
Old April 25th, 2013, 21:31   #15
Disco_Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichtessen View Post
I know they are not the same, was just wondering if needed I could run it as an RPD type AKM. Pretty much just using a drum mag if needed to be a support.
No, he's trying to tell you that you're confusing the RPD with the RPK. The gun you're thinking of, the one that looks like a stretched out AK, that's called an RPK, not an RPD.

An RPD is belt fed, not magazine fed, and is a completely separate weapon. Probably zero parts compatibility.

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank