Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

TM M4A1 MWS Quick Review - Is it worth the $700-$800?

:

Reviews

Old January 24th, 2016, 01:54   #1
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
TM M4A1 MWS Quick Review - Is it worth the $700-$800?

Yes.

I've been using mine in a few CQB games, and it has met my expectations - in that it is standard excellent TM quality and reliability.
I've mostly been using it with my tracer unit and 0.25 BB's, but have also used 0.20's in it. My points below are based on use with propane, and shooting at around 350 with the hopup set with propane, and it also shoots around 16 rounds per second, comparable to a real M4A1.
I had my first failure today, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the gun's fault. It was dry firing because the BB's weren't feeding up, they were stuck down for some reason. A few whacks of the mag fixed this. I assume it was either because of the BB's, or somehow some dirt or other debris got in there.

Why do I think it's worth the cash? Because it's a solid platform that perform excellent out of the box. You may spend as much or more on a different brand of GBBR just to get it gameable (or replacing parts that break/wear out quickly), while this is good to go. Also I have no doubt there will be a large aftermarket parts availability for these (I know RA-Tech has already made a heavier recoil buffer), however the old saying is the quickest way to screw up a stock TM is to start messing with it.

Oh also fun anecdote. A few weeks ago I had gone to a game, then left it in my trunk for a few hours at -15C or -20C. I got home, took my stuff in, and decided to test it because I was expecting it to either not work or just expel all the gas in one go. I had my chrony ready and IT CYCLED and shot BB's at about 320fps (less than the normal 350 or so). So when the gun and mag were literally frozen, below zero, it still functioned. I wouldn't want to play a game below 0 with it, but it just shows you the engineering that went into it.

Pros:
- Full metal Cerakoted receiver with metal rail system - all of this feels solid and the finish is beautiful
- Great kick - I have also used a WA-based KA GBBR and it has at least as much recoil
- instant trigger response as you'd expect in a GBBR, very short trigger reset as it uses a hammer that only sweeps 45 degrees instead of other GBBR's doing 90 degrees, and back-to-battery for follow up shots is instant as well
- Completely new bolt catch system that will never wear out
- Very little cooldown - on two or more separate occasions I have done mag dumps for kicks, and it only slows down slightly near the end of the mag, no WE-common chugga-chugga
- Also during normal shooting and even mag dumps, I have never seen any gas cloud or gas escaping anywhere. I have seen this on other platforms, and it's an efficiency that TM has improved on. If you watch slow-videos, you can see the nozzle stays in place to direct gas until the bolt has travelled halfway or even 3/4 of the way to the rear

Cons:
- mags are only 35rds, but that's kinda standard for a GBBR
- mags are front-loaded and need to be loaded with the included tube and stick loader because it has an adapter. Or you can load by hand if you forget it, but I think that would be painful with more than 1 or 2 mags
- hopup adjustment requires cracking the receiver open and pulling the charging handle and bolt out slightly. This really only takes 5 seconds but it's a little more complicated than say M4 AEG's. However TM may have done this for aesthetic reasons, as you can't see the hopup adjustment through the ejection port

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services

Last edited by Styrak; January 24th, 2016 at 02:07..
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 17:58   #2
N_Force

How do I like it? Just like what you said, a perfect piece out of the box!
I tested 30 shots in 20' and 30'with bipod, Marui 0.25bb using propane. That is the grouping I got, not bad!
A solid piece, nice finishing. Smooth bolt and nozzle operating system, light trigger response and light cooking since half hammer up only. Feel reliable, accuracy and constancy. It's Marui!

https://mobile.facebook.com/groups/8...&ref=bookmarks

I don't agree your cons:
Loading bb you may get the Marui 500 bb loader with feeding lip one would be fine. I have it.
Adjust the hop up is pretty easy, it's click by click. for me may be I have a smaller hand. I put in my middle last three fingers from the mag well and use middle finger to adjust it by click. Or you may use a long small flat screwdriver to adjust it.
Not agree pros:
Cool down effect is still happening if you rapid single shoot and the last 5 may not as high fps as before, also the mag is cold as always. You know its GBB that what have to know and how to avoid it. And full auto is the same, recoil slow down after half to 2/3, but still smooth. I feel like this design is better than the other M4 gbb for rapid single fire or full auto.

Alos you need to set the hop up since the manufacture set up is too low (shoot a bit low) and the loaded bb in chamber will fell out from barrel when facing it downward, a common problem as Marui Hicapa.

How long can it last? I couldn't tell. There is a lot of small plastic parts inside just like all the Japanese design, to make the function and realistic like airsoft. Let's see which part will be broken first? I think wold be the buffer tube? Since I use propane and increase the impact on all parts.
Will keep propane filled in mag and see anything may go wrong like leak or deform.
Will I game it? I may just use it for practical shooting, especially 3gun in the future!

One thing for sure I will replace soon is the buffer tube, it's just too fragile in full plastic. Regular buffer tube will not fit in and need to be modified.

Last edited by N_Force; January 24th, 2016 at 19:15..
N_Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 19:21   #3
Styrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Force View Post
One thing for sure I will replace soon is the buffer tube, it's just too fragile in full plastic. Regular buffer tube will not fit in and need to be modified.
The buffer tube is metal...

Old January 24th, 2016, 19:33   #4
N_Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
The buffer tube is metal...
Haha, you know its the buffer not the tube I meant. Lol!

Old January 24th, 2016, 22:37   #5
Styrak

Oh, yes. But I don't think that would break any time soon. And there's a reason TM made it plastic, likely for cycle speed or gas efficiency reasons.

Also I tried a loader with pistol mag attachment and it does work. Thought it would be too much force but yup, it works.

Old January 24th, 2016, 22:51   #6
N_Force

Someone in Hk posted he was using propane and broke the buffer. I took it apart and I feel like the spring cushion part would have a chance so I DIY it already, and keep the original one for back up.

Old January 24th, 2016, 23:11   #7
Juke16

Here's an in-depth review if anyone wants one, really good video I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju0QF052-EI
Juke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 23:26   #8
N_Force

Yeah, I watched it for couple of minutes and stopped while ago. Good infos but as of my own opinion, most of the Japanese made airsoft I don't do too much unless is a must or not to deep in since they all running great out of the box. I don't even take the bolt apart as it is so smooth. For now just the buffer I think of. Thanks anyway!

Old January 28th, 2016, 16:08   #9
N_Force

Final custom made version of Marui M4A1 metal buffer with spring shocks.

https://mobile.facebook.com/story.ph...61915840719205

Last edited by N_Force; January 29th, 2016 at 18:07..
Old January 29th, 2016, 13:26   #10
N_Force

Possible the best gas consumption Gbbr in the market, the T Marui M4 gbbr.
After light modify the magazine, one full gas filled could almost empty 4 full mags bb's, isn't it amazing?

https://mobile.facebook.com/story.ph...61915840719205

Last edited by N_Force; January 29th, 2016 at 18:05..
Old January 29th, 2016, 14:57   #11
Styrak

Link fail?

And yes the TM is obviously the most gas efficient GBBR out there.
As for you mod, I'm going to keep the stock recoil buffer in it.

Old January 29th, 2016, 18:15   #12
N_Force

Link is fixed.

Modify is an option, not a must. I always recommend using original. But personal just love to do it for back up and fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Link fail?

And yes the TM is obviously the most gas efficient GBBR out there.
As for you mod, I'm going to keep the stock recoil buffer in it.

Old January 29th, 2016, 19:53   #13
Styrak

Just looked at it, yeah that tube limiting design is on any TM GBB mag.

Old January 29th, 2016, 20:10   #14
N_Force

Yeah, my main point to bring it up from finding out after remove this tube, to get the most gas fill, prove the best gas power consumption on this gbbr. I believe it's the M4 gbbr design for gas seal prevent gas leak during operation.
I have never thought about this tube design inside mag could be removed to make such a change, and may try it on gbb pistol and see.

Last edited by N_Force; January 29th, 2016 at 20:22..
Old February 24th, 2016, 21:39   #15
#lovemachine

Looking to pick one of these up, but none of the Toronto retailers have it back in stock yet..

To get it imported into Canada, was something done to the barrel or were the springs changed to meet the FPS requirement? (eg My TM GBB G17 came with the extended barrel)
#lovemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews