FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

Will you post it here?

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 20:25   #17
Hades

Send a message via MSN to Hades
One other thing in addition to research is practice practice practice. Go and spend a couple of days in the middle of bumfuck nowhere with little supplies to figure out where your strengths and weaknesses are. I've done camping trips before where I lived out of a backpack up in Algonquin park area drinking purified lake water, eating fish I caught in addition to the small amount of non-perishable, high energy food I brought along with me.
I took outdoor-ed in high school so we spent a lot of time learning about ways to survive off the land which really opened my eyes. I am considering taking a wilderness survival course this summer as it's something I've always wanted to do. Another thing I learned is make sure to learn multiple ways to create fire. Fire has so many uses and can actually keep you from going batshit insane as well if your alone for extended periods of time.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:21   #18
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Suggesting self sustainability and working with others towards the same end isn't practical?
I don't mean what you're suggesting is wrong, I'm just saying for the average urban dweller, where people co-exist but don't really mingle (or trust), it isn't practical/easily achievable.

I still think the Argentinian Chronicles are a good example of life in the city in a non-total SHTF situation, where shit does hit the fan but a parody of normality continues: people (in general) still have to work or otherwise obtain food and other necessities, there are still police and other officials but they're in the same boat and there's rampant corruption.

IMO anyone who chooses (perhaps due to lack of any better choice) to dig in in those conditions will have to deal with survival in a very different way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby View Post
If the bubble bursts, and there is a global system failure, I would most likely be worried about the numerous nuclear reactors that need to be maintained so they don't melt down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX_111 View Post
I guess the persones in charges of those reactors will either stop them or continue to maintain them untill they have to stop them for some reason. (shortage of water coolant or fuel.)

I'm pretty sure they can't just leave and let the thing go as it please.
History Channel had an interesting show called Life After People (its out there in torrentland). Apparently the generators shut down by themselves (unless someone went in and vandalized the systems).
Old January 28th, 2010, 09:20   #19
Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX_111 View Post
Will you post it here?
You're kidding, right? Where do you want me to start? Emergency medicine? Wilderness survival? Farming? Veterinary skills? Carpentry? All of these things, in order to properly teach, would literally require that you attend a physical class with me as well as reading several textbooks on the subjects at hand... and a few years to become proficient.

Don't try to hack away at my credibility just because you have your eyes glued shut.

This posting is here for people who are already into emergency preparation, I am merely trying to extend that envelope. If you don't believe in any manner of preparation, go get your head checked out before continuing to post in my thread.

Last edited by Wilson; January 28th, 2010 at 09:28..
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:22   #20
FOX_111

Wow, get off your high horses. I'm not trying to hack your credibility.

I've read a few PDF on the mater and in there was very good tips on off the grid survival.

On that caught my eyes was how to get free food and free items (stealing, frauding) in a scenario where you have to live in a hostile city while travelling.

There was other trics on how to purify water, that to use, how to get it. That sort of thing.

I guess you could pick up a topic and elaborate. Because all that theorie mean nothing if there is no actual example of what you can apply it.

Oh and you know, making assumptions will have you in troubles!

Last edited by FOX_111; January 28th, 2010 at 10:32..
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:21   #21
Oborous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
I am always seeing discussion on the merits of bugging in and bugging out, and the plans that go into both of them.

For those who do not agree with this post, I quote Forest Gump: "Stupid is as stupid does."
How is this topic pertinent to Airsoft gameplay? This topic seems better in 'Off-topic' or on another forum completely.
Oborous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:45   #22
FOX_111

Some of it could be of use for long milsim where you have to survive in the wild. Or if you get lost.

When you think of airsoft as a trainning medium, you can fit a lot of things in it that are not really part of the game itself.

Old January 28th, 2010, 16:13   #23
Oborous

Longest MilSim that I've heard about in North America is 3-days, longest in Europe is 7-days. Certainly nothing that requires farming skills.

I certainly could see a thread on longer milsim survival techniques, but talking about carpentry is a bit more than really is needed for even the most extreme MilSim. Things may be different in the east... "Your objective is to capture that area, talk to the 'knights of Ne' and build them... a Shubbery!" *Grin*

Though, I would enjoy learning digging techniques for building a concealed, two person fox hole with central grenade sump and some overhead cover. Digging -is- a skill, and I can dig in urban environments, but heavy rooted areas, that tires me out.
Oborous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 17:30   #24
youonlywish

To get back on topic, let's look into something I've been pondering lately...

I'm building a go-bag.

I don't want to call it a BOB, because it's more of a 'holy shit, need to move' bag than a 'I could live out of this for 2 weeks' bag.

Now, I've got a big white-board in the man-cave detailing what I'm looking for next... top on my list being a decent pry-bar and to complete my first-aid training.

My question being, who can suggest some high-energy food sources with a long shelf life?

Taste dosn't matter as much as shelf life.

Also, a decent, cost-effective flashlight?

I use a light I got from lowes for 20 bucks or so as part of my EDC and wouldn't leave home without it, though it lacks a bit of power. Acts more as a low level flood light than a torch.
Old January 28th, 2010, 18:59   #25
shadow_matter

Send a message via MSN to shadow_matter
Check this link out:
YouTube- "Concept U.S.K." Surviving Urban Disaster Pt 1

It is a video series done by Nutnfancy. He is a gun, knife, tactical gear, and outdoor gear reviewer living in the south western US. All of his stuff is full of information, mostly unbiased, and lots of interesting concepts.

This video is speaking to a survival kit for urban situations. I have been following this guy on Youtube for quite a while now and I think he has alot of good information to put out there.

I highly reccommend his videos to anyone wanting a heap of information before investing some real money into a knife or hiking gear. (Check out the hiking boots video series for example, it gave me the info of what to look for in a proper boot)

"I play airsoft, yes yes..."

Last edited by shadow_matter; January 28th, 2010 at 19:02..
shadow_matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 19:02   #26
Primus
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Primus
Quote:
Originally Posted by youonlywish View Post
My question being, who can suggest some high-energy food sources with a long shelf life?

Taste dosn't matter as much as shelf life.

Also, a decent, cost-effective flashlight?

I use a light I got from lowes for 20 bucks or so as part of my EDC and wouldn't leave home without it, though it lacks a bit of power. Acts more as a low level flood light than a torch.
Go with something like the mainstay (lemon flavor) or datrex (coconut flavor) bars. Gives you the calories, vitamins and minerals you need and has a 5 year shelf life.

As for the flashlight I will let someone else answer with more experience. I've got a shitload of hand cranked flashlights around the house, in the car emergency bag and in the BOB/GO/SHTF bag. They're not the brightest thing out there but they work and I know I'll never have to deal with dead batteries in the flashlights.

Gray Fox Strategic - @grayfoxstrategic on Facebook / Instagram
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 23:08   #27
FOX_111

Pelican make nice, affordable LED flashlight that use AA batteries. They are as strong as Surefire and very rugged. They are made of strong plastic and they are submersibles.

I'd put that in my bag and keep the Surefire for the tactical usage.

I'd also pack a powerfull LED headlamp in there too. If there is no power and you need both hand to work, it's the way to go.

Old February 14th, 2010, 23:15   #28
MadMorbius
I can't believe I didn't see this post earlier. Anyway, to speak specifically to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I don't mean what you're suggesting is wrong, I'm just saying for the average urban dweller, where people co-exist but don't really mingle (or trust), it isn't practical/easily achievable.
You're right. The majority of the population has netiher the time nor the inclination to learn the necessities of survival in a world without modern conveniences.

And they will die.

It is their deaths that will restore balance, bringing the population back in line with what can reasonably be supported without reliance on national and international trade networks simply to provide enough food to feed the population.

If any domestic or international emergency interrupted the ability to move food across the country, any break in the supply chains whatsoever, we can reasonably expect to lose 90% of the population within the first year.

The figure is derived from looking at population rates prior to the exploitation of coal, oil and natural gas. As we are now dependant on those energy sources to maintain our ability to feed our population, it is reasonable to forecast a return to population levels seen prior to their availability and exploitation, and then subtract even further for all those who know nothing about surviving without today's technology and would die before critical skills can be learned.
Old February 20th, 2010, 17:14   #29
youonlywish

Just came back from my first 9 hour day with St John's Ambulance - First Aid CPR Level C.

Great, invaluable information.
Old March 19th, 2010, 23:51   #30
MrEvolution
MrChairsoft

Gentlemen (and possibly Ladies),

I come before you today to ask for some advice.
I guess a car hit a pole out here or something, knocked out power for two city blocks for approx an hour.

During this hour we all scrambled for light sources which consisted of candles and mini LED keychain lights (powerful suckers, didnt work half bad actually).

Just looking for some advice for some decent battery flashlights (Im guessing surefire because I hear about them the most), and possibly a crank radio and crank light).

I felt exposed during this short time, my mother jumping up to the ceiling every time the house creaked going "WHAT WAS THAT?" didnt help either.

That go-bag/3 day bag looks better every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrail25 View Post
I'm no expert on the law, but the only victims of rape in this story are the 40 men.
MrEvolution is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures