• What size inner barrel does it have?
GODSPEED|seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 17:39   #107
Arktic

It has a 6.03 inner barrel.
Arktic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:43   #108
Dart

Well thought I mind as well chime in. I picked mine up just over a month ago. Tore into it and found that shitty plastic piston. The only piston I could find at hand that was a replacement was a cybergun upgrade kit. So I figured what the hell $50 its worth the try.

The piston doesn't work. It won't engage the sear. I attempted to lathe it but it caught on my cutting tool and fucked the piston. So I figure well atleast I can use the spring guide... nope, spring guide doesn't fit inside the stock piston... so I have a $50 spring :|

I have gamed it once and yah I am not getting slam firing but sometimes the piston does not engage the sear and you have to try cocking it again. It was getting bad near the end of the day. I have a king arms piston on the way for it, will try that.

On a side note if you are looking for a boost in consistency we managed to make a shredder concave nub work in it. It works awesome as well. When she was cocking nice I managed to get "no fish stories here" about 180-200foot head shot at a guy that was looking through a window. Right now I am running about 500fps.

I'll keep you updated on the king arms piston and how it fits.

Also I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but has anyone been having issues with mag fitment? We found we had to squeeze the mags together more at the back end to make them fit properly. Meh what do you expect from a $400 rifle heh.
Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:47   #109
Incognitoo

Hey, Arktic do You happen to know whether it would be possible to insert 555mm vsr prometheus inner barrel into msr? I am considering this after purchase, given that the stock inner barrel length is 500mm and outer barrel length is 545 mm +65 mm flashhider, thus 555mm inner barrel would be perfect.

Also, would You advise to change the inner barrel given Your possible experience with prometheus or likewise barrels (i.e. how does the stock inner barrel compare with prommy barrels)?

Thanks
Incognitoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:51   #110
Arktic

I have an Angry Gun 509mm barrel in my MSR and it ends right at the tip of the flash hider. If the fash hider and the extension are screwed all the way on, as in how it comes stock, then the 509mm barrel sticks far out the front past the flash hider. A 555mm will stick out even further. I modded a silencer from a BAR 10 G Spec to fit my MSR to cover up the extra bit of barrel.

I n other words the 555mm is going to be far to long and the flash hider wont cover it up.
Old April 18th, 2013, 14:38   #111
Incognitoo

Meh, this is gonna be a .... since prometheus only offers 555mm and 430mm, hence silencer will be needed. Also, is the reason that You modded Your silencer is due to non-standard threading of outer barrel (non 14mm)?
Old April 18th, 2013, 14:58   #112
Arktic

Yeah the threading on the MSR Barrel is 16mm I think? Its pretty big.... Definitely not 14mm. Also the barrel doesnt end in a thread if that makes sense. The silencer has to have the the extra bit so it can screw into the end of the MSR barrel.

If you can see in this pic. The silencer has a small bit on the end. That peice has the threading on it. That then screws into the outer barrel of the MSR. I had to build up the thread of the silencer with tape so that it fit the very wide thread of the MSR. I then ran a tube down the center that rested on the extra bit of inner barrel. You have to do this as the silencer doesnt sit exactly center without it and bbs with smash into the inside of the silencer when shooting.

Ill try take a pic of it for you tomorrow. Its night time here now.
Old April 18th, 2013, 15:48   #113
Incognitoo

Yeah I know what You mean, I own g-spec myself. I wonder if vsr silencer adaptors through some modding would do the job.
Old April 29th, 2013, 19:46   #114
xProto

Updates

Thank you guys for looking and doing all the feed back for this gun and actually testing things. Update I just saw on Facebook that ARES has an Upgrade kit coming soon that includes metal Piston and Piston head and a metal Spring guide. No news on a sears yet though, but I imagine they will have to make those relativaly soon as well seeing the amount of problems this gun is having already. I am interest in buying this gun, so I am going to wait untill the end of may to see the status and if anything has changed. They really rushed the prototype into a working model.

* Oh Also Anyone with the gun already, Could you give me the sizes and measurments of all the pieces in the trigger box, along with the measurments of the pistion, spring guide, cylender, and piston head. I am going to try and make the parts in Blender, then get them printed either from Shapeways, or a local companie, or my friends father who has a manual mill. Also I could get my old schools CAD program to create the parts for me and ill take the CAD files and do this stuff.

** And has anyone got a full VSR Trigger set, and has tested to see if it will indeed fit in the gun?

Last edited by xProto; April 30th, 2013 at 12:44..
xProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 17:55   #115
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xProto View Post
Thank you guys for looking and doing all the feed back for this gun and actually testing things. Update I just saw on Facebook that ARES has an Upgrade kit coming soon that includes metal Piston and Piston head and a metal Spring guide. No news on a sears yet though, but I imagine they will have to make those relativaly soon as well seeing the amount of problems this gun is having already. I am interest in buying this gun, so I am going to wait untill the end of may to see the status and if anything has changed. They really rushed the prototype into a working model.

* Oh Also Anyone with the gun already, Could you give me the sizes and measurments of all the pieces in the trigger box, along with the measurments of the pistion, spring guide, cylender, and piston head. I am going to try and make the parts in Blender, then get them printed either from Shapeways, or a local companie, or my friends father who has a manual mill. Also I could get my old schools CAD program to create the parts for me and ill take the CAD files and do this stuff.

** And has anyone got a full VSR Trigger set, and has tested to see if it will indeed fit in the gun?
If read back to the older posts, it is only 1% VSR10 compatible. Knowing all this, you still want to buy it?? You need to also consider aftermarket support which aftermarket companies don't support Ares and Ares themselves don't support their customer with easy access to repair parts.

I doubt Ares will rush out to make parts to fix their issues, since they have told people before the release it will be VSR10 compatible, and it ends up being mutant. I was sold on the looks at first but after reading all the reviews and looking at the internals, it is destined to be a wall hanger after 4 to 5 magazines.

And if.......Ares did come out with those parts you mention, they would proprietary not VSR10 compatible.

If you want VSR10 compatibility then choose either TM VSR10, JG Bar10 or the ASW338LM. I got all of these and they are keepers.

People say the Ares is cheap at $400, I say it is expensive as a wall hanger.

Last edited by SuperHog; April 30th, 2013 at 18:19..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 16:50   #116
xProto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
If read back to the older posts, it is only 1% VSR10 compatible. Knowing all this, you still want to buy it?? You need to also consider aftermarket support which aftermarket companies don't support Ares and Ares themselves don't support their customer with easy access to repair parts.

I doubt Ares will rush out to make parts to fix their issues, since they have told people before the release it will be VSR10 compatible, and it ends up being mutant. I was sold on the looks at first but after reading all the reviews and looking at the internals, it is destined to be a wall hanger after 4 to 5 magazines.

And if.......Ares did come out with those parts you mention, they would proprietary not VSR10 compatible.

If you want VSR10 compatibility then choose either TM VSR10, JG Bar10 or the ASW338LM. I got all of these and they are keepers.

People say the Ares is cheap at $400, I say it is expensive as a wall hanger.
The ares bolt upgrade for springs is already out on a few sites, and is $75, but no trigger assembly yet. I understand what you mean, My friend recomended me for the JG Bar 10, but I dont like the looks really. I have been looking for a gun that can perform well, and look very nice. Seeing as this is only looks, I am still sketptical on buying it. I agree that ARES is still expensive see as most of the guns they have end up breaking very fast and they make them uncompatiable with everything else.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 17:20   #117
SuperHog

Quote:
The ares bolt upgrade for springs is already out on a few sites, and is $75, but no trigger assembly yet. I understand what you mean, My friend recomended me for the JG Bar 10, but I dont like the looks really. I have been looking for a gun that can perform well, and look very nice. Seeing as this is only looks, I am still sketptical on buying it. I agree that ARES is still expensive see as most of the guns they have end up breaking very fast and they make them uncompatiable with everything else.
Agree, the Bar10 looks dated.

It is too bad Ares messed up this rifle. Up close the finish looks crude. Remington should have gotten VFC to make. Guess Ares was the lowest bidder for the contract.

Consider a ASW338LM made by VFC. Exterior workmanship is amazing. I am still running it stock and after 100+ magazines, nothing has broken yet (fingers crossed).

Last edited by SuperHog; May 3rd, 2013 at 17:38..
Old May 4th, 2013, 16:54   #118
xProto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
Agree, the Bar10 looks dated.

It is too bad Ares messed up this rifle. Up close the finish looks crude. Remington should have gotten VFC to make. Guess Ares was the lowest bidder for the contract.

Consider a ASW338LM made by VFC. Exterior workmanship is amazing. I am still running it stock and after 100+ magazines, nothing has broken yet (fingers crossed).
Yeah, it seems all the good looking and exotic snipers are made with a terriable quality for internals. I've looked at the ASW and I don't like the looks of it personaly. It looks similar to the MSR, but the whole carbine fiber front look is eh, to me. I would rather have it be open Free-Float rails like an SR-25 or the MSR. If it wasnt for that I would get it. I've looked at every sniper and the none of them fit my style that are able to perform well enough for me to think of getting one. Theres a new Action Army M700 body kit for the KJW M700 gas that looks really nice, I might get that, but just put a full-stock on in instead of the adjustiable. Also Gi has the body kit on a sniper by Action Army called the Action Army AAC-21, I might get that. Is it possible to just take this MS338 and completely switch the internals out for something else like VSR or something else? or how does that work? I've never personally owned a bolt action.

Last edited by xProto; May 4th, 2013 at 17:05..
Old May 5th, 2013, 01:41   #119
SuperHog

Quote:
Yeah, it seems all the good looking and exotic snipers are made with a terriable quality for internals. I've looked at the ASW and I don't like the looks of it personaly. It looks similar to the MSR, but the whole carbine fiber front look is eh, to me. I would rather have it be open Free-Float rails like an SR-25 or the MSR. If it wasnt for that I would get it. I've looked at every sniper and the none of them fit my style that are able to perform well enough for me to think of getting one. Theres a new Action Army M700 body kit for the KJW M700 gas that looks really nice, I might get that, but just put a full-stock on in instead of the adjustiable. Also Gi has the body kit on a sniper by Action Army called the Action Army AAC-21, I might get that. Is it possible to just take this MS338 and completely switch the internals out for something else like VSR or something else? or how does that work? I've never personally owned a bolt action.
Since you mentioned you never owned a bolt action, that is one of the reasons your friends has recommended a Bar10, because it has good aftermarket support for VSR10 upgrades.

The AAC-21 is a conversion, so you need to purchase a M700 and other parts before it is complete.

If you really like that floating rail and want a sniper, then consider a DMR. Get the WE raptor and convert that to a DMR sniper. It has the latest split gear box so you can do a quick spring change. I am picking one up, because I can use it as a sniper and a regular M4 field rifle at the same game. I will have both quick release scope and iron sights on the rail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg we_raptor_open_aeg_1.2j_b1.jpg (33.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by SuperHog; May 5th, 2013 at 01:46..
Old May 10th, 2013, 17:47   #120
SuperHog

Hey, xProto,

Just watched the video on the AAC-21. Looks really nice at a reasonable price, but only question is the consistency which gas rifles are not known for.

Airsoft GI - Action Army AAC-21 CNC Machined Gas Bolt Action Sniper Rifle - YouTube
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion