Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Safety

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

View Poll Results: What is the condition of your gun while not engaging other players
Gun is on Safe 139 46.80%
Gun is on Semi 77 25.93%
Gun is on Auto 40 13.47%
pfft, I dont even put a mag in the well until I need to! 41 13.80%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 19th, 2010, 05:01   #46
juicy

Muzzle control and trigger control are what I use. Gun on semi when playing a game, basically at all times - minus a few instances when I've engaged in a firefight and either know exactly where my enemies are, or I have no idea where potential ambushers are and I'm spraying in the general direction of incoming fire and hoping to notice a flinch somewhere (okay, maybe more than "a few"). In these cases, short bursts are sort-of warranted, IMO.

Then again, I don't run with an Armalite - I find that the HK placement of the safety on the G3 keeps the selector out of the way of any stray thumbs or fingers, thus making it harder for me to constantly switch from safe to semi, and especially from safe to full-auto. Armalite's are a different story - the placement of the safety and shape of the safety allowed me to constantly switch from safe to semi (during the few times I did shoot with these, though in a non-skirmish setting). Perhaps someone can tell me how to better utilize the safety on an HK...?

On handguns, I find that trigger control is second nature - with DA/SA, I safely decock the hammer before holstering the weapon, and I make sure to keep my trigger finger away from the trigger area when presenting the sidearm. With SA only, I've trained myself to disengage a 1911-type safety during a draw, while getting a firm grip to disengage the grip safety as well. In this way, I have (so far) avoided any accident discharges.
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:14   #47
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

It's dynamic to the situation, but I typically leave it on semi.
Safe in safe zones obviously
I leave it in full auto when I'm expecting to get ambushed or engage in close quarters
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 13:44   #48
Troy T. Moore

Safety is on before a skirmish or during a "break" in said skirmish. I have solely been using an AK variant of one type or another for the better part of last season. Auto is where the slector is at during any sort of play unless I switch to semi for a particular purpose. Finger is alongside the trigger guard, muzzle direction is controlled.
Old January 19th, 2010, 14:01   #49
Mikhail

As support for my team, I WILL be on full auto and mechanical safeties off when the scenario is on. They depend on me as their 'safety' to provided cover. Anything else is poor planning on my part and would violate the trust my teammates place in me to cover them so they can get to cover.

Muzzle control first, Trigger discipline second as mechanical safeties fail.

For me this is reinforced by the protocols used during some of our live weapon scenario training with the military. Range time is cool, but engagement scenarios is where its at.

At the first such scenario I attended, when I mentioned having the safety on when moving from one encounter to the next, the Brit RI gave me this disbelieving sidelook (I think of disgust), and put that thought ta bed in one.

'Your mates is depending on you, right?. If they need lead downrange NOW, they don't need it a second from now! Got it?"

"Yes sir!"

"Don't call me sir, my parents knew each other!"
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 15:26   #50
outlander94

safety on untill i here the first shots then to semi with finger under the trigger guard then safety on when im hit
outlander94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 18:02   #51
PaddMadd
uMadd, Padd?

Send a message via MSN to PaddMadd
I've perfected a technique that could prove useful to anyone.

It's similar to what LAPD's SWAT is trained to do. I keep my rifle pointing at a downward angle when moving and when not aiming, but if I need to fire, while raising the rifle to the firing position, I flip it from safe to semi.
PaddMadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 10:50   #52
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
Unless your going to fire the gun in the next 10 seconds, it should be in the safe position. Simple as that.
Old July 25th, 2010, 21:44   #53
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

lolz
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 17:55   #54
braydengerr

I generally keep mine on semi once i think the enemy may be close....ive gotten killed too many times from when someone jumped me and i cudnt shoot because my gun was stuck on safety. I put it on semi cause one shots all i need and if i accidentally shoot it only lets one go.
braydengerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 22:45   #55
BlackRain

I am one of those who makes sure my AEG or GBB is cleared and mag out when off the field and only put a mag in when I am on the field. Better safe then sorry... while on the field I practice finger off the trigger until ready to engage a target... gun always pointed down until ready to go.

We are not the masks we wear, .... But when we don them we become them!
BlackRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 00:17   #56
attack-beaver

depends on a few factors. one weapon type, if im using my AK cause its a bitch to use the selector i just leave it on semi, if on the other hand im using a AR style rifle i will use safe unless i expect contact or im close to the opfor base. hell i dont use full auto alot unless im in real trouble most of the time 2-3 quick semi's and i disengage.
attack-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 00:49   #57
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
Whenever I'm out and about, if at any time I'm expecting to possibly make contact, my safety is off and my finger is alongside the trigger guard. Aside from that, my AEGs are on safe.
this.
guns on full auto, low ready, finger outside the trigger guard, don't want a click click damn it safety is on,
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 16:10   #58
Pinard
formerly Contractor 6-8, CptPinard17eRAM

Safe zone = mag out, safety on
non-safe zone = mag in, full auto with a round chambered (I need to chamber a round with my Tar21)
Old November 13th, 2010, 20:24   #59
mas_oyama

50% of people on safe at all time? I call BS on that!

for my part, I'm on semi, and I switch to auto only when I need to.

of course in safe zones its safety on and mags out. but this a general field rule anyway.

Last edited by mas_oyama; November 13th, 2010 at 20:36..
mas_oyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 22:46   #60
Stealthee
a.k.a. cloaked

I usually always put my gun on safe unless I'm in the battlefield or playing area. It's a habit I got used to, but a friend questions me about it.
Stealthee is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures