Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old November 11th, 2014, 16:31   #16
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants

Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
Best Hang Over pills Evar!
a bottle of potassium and or magnesium
Add some Vit C and Advil you will be set

That said, practice is a big part of this. In college I was regularly up crazy nights and working again through the day. You start to recognize your own stages and them in others as well. The first victim is your cognitive, then the attitude fails .You and your mates get bitchy at each others mistakes and shit. It goes fast after that, you can read it in most AAR's from night games.
Up and active for 48 - 72 hours sounds fun but its not. Stick to the shorter games and find other ways to build up your stamina.
Cheers
Armyissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 16:35   #17
Wli

Haven't been to any 24 hr milsims yet but here's what I did in the military for those long durations (month long) in the field.
The guys above got pretty much all of it, just a few things to add. Depending on weather, you want to be a little bit cold to compensate for when you do start moving again. Get pocket warmers during colder weather and for at night. No need to bring a ruck with you, patrol packs were made for a few hours at a time journeys. Keep some of those small little salt packets you get at diners and what bor, one of those for 1 quart of water for salt, on top of your hydration carrier. Get some of those small sticks of drink mixers, I always find they helped. You don't need to wear your helmet 24/7, sometimes a Bush cap or a baseball cap will do fine. The biggest thing is, every chance you get, sit your ass down to take the strain off of your torso and what not from your plate carriers and what not. Don't be afraid to put your rifle down beside you when you need to.
Wli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 17:15   #18
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

1. be as fit as you can be
2.hydrate
3.snacks.. regular intake of small amounts of food VS big meal
4. organization, gear that is well organized and fits so you can get it off and on in short order. Drop your gear every chance you get.. provided you are secure and can get up and ready to roll quickly.
5.Priority of work, Weapon, ammo, gear, buddy, self. If you have done everything you need to and there is nothing to do.. sleep.
6. do not run if you can walk, don't walk if you can stand, don't stand if you can sit, don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake if you can sleep
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 17:45   #19
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

Jerky, slimjims, pnut mm's, snickers and a shitload of water is what I keep with me at all times, snacking throughout the day is better, don't sit down and eat one big meal end up with 'itis lol
Old November 11th, 2014, 18:51   #20
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Eighteen or less hours of play, line up your sleep schedule so you don't need sleep. Usually a one to two hour nap will rejuvenate you to continue. As it is outside of your norm, you will get tired, you will get hungry, you will get dehydrated. Start off by managing your levels of health. Always carry around and drink a lot of water, with electrolyte breaks now and again. Good food with carbs, protein and calories so your body has fuel are also important. Make sure food is easy to carry and easy to eat, trail mix/beef jerky works in a pinch, but it isn't easy to chow down on it when you get hungry. Snacking along the way can help avoid hunger as well, and if you enjoy what you are eating, your moral will stay up. Comfortable and lightweight footwear, with extra dry socks and boots are a must. Keeping your feet happy means keeping your everything happy. Have appropriate dry wicking and warm, or cooling layers to keep you healthy. Go through your gear, ensure you have everything you need, but take time to get lightweight abd ergonomic stuff to use. If you sleep in the field have a layer to bring up your temperature a little, as well as ranger blanket or survival layer. Sleeping on ground is likely to be uncomfortable, so try and find a spot that you can sleep slightly reclined. Start with everything health-wise and then nap from there.
Old November 11th, 2014, 22:13   #21

Find your worst enemy and learn how to deal with it. Mine is sun and heat. Learn to rest with eye protection on and your eyes closed or even sleep if you can under any conditions. Lying on a tarp or a ground sheet is still better than sitting in the trench with eyes wide open when you can be resting. Don't wake up and join the crowd when you hear other guys chit-chatting and you don't really feel that tired at the moment unless your are ordered to do so. Use any chance to rest, even if it's a 15 minute nap. You are not taking fire or being a part of active patrol/guard duty, no reason to be on your feet. I noticed that people have this tendency of refusing to rest when they have a chance and going out, talking to guards/people who just got up for a patrol etc. Our boss fixed that issue pretty fast during WW2 event this summer. We woke him up at 6am, he got up and said: " I see you are all rested and don't want to sleep, well, grab your e-tools and go fortify/add camouflage to the trenches than" Don't go all crazy and pumped up on energy drinks/caffeine/sugar in the first 5-6 hours like some people do and than drop from exhaustion. Water/food is also very important like many people already said. Take a drink every time you have a chance and refill every time you have a chance, even if your water is not low. Worst case it'll come out as sweat. Still better than dropping down from dehydration. If you are out of water, ask someone instead of going without a drop during long patrol. I don't use any power bars, energy drinks, Gatorade etc but that's just personal preference. Gatorade did save me once from being completely sun-fucked but I just like old school natural food/drink. I usually bring smoked sausage/meat, dry cheese, any kind of good bread from European bakeries and instant mashed potatoes, sometimes hard boiled eggs and canned meat. Meat and bread can be easily consumed in the field, will not go bad even on hot days, way healthier than MRE's and won't give you constipation That's basically all the food you need to survive for a few days. That's what real soldiers used for hundreds of years, so it must work To make potatoes all you need is 15 minutes, some water, mess kit and a portable Esbit stove which is the same size as your regular pack of smokes... Having some hot food on a cold day/after you wake up is always a good thing. I usually make that during rest times. Brian McIlmoyle likes to treat guys with hot cup of espresso or regular coffee in the morning That thing will wake you right up. It's also a good idea to know your body, it's biological clock etc. I am for example a night person, so I try to take watches/go on patrols between 9pm to 4am than rest for an hour or two if possible. Plus I noticed that most people usually become less active/more sleepy during early morning hours. Between 3am and 6-7am. Like other guys already said, make sure that your gear is prepared for a sudden wake up call. Before going to rest reload, refill water, eat, make sure you can put your webbing/rig on within a minute or at least make sure that you can shoot back. At least have a rifle and 3-4 mags within arms reach. Always know where you gear is. Lots of times people come back to the base camp tired, drop their gear, than crawl under a poncho or go down on a blanket and sleep while gear sits 10 meters away. Not good, especially at night.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 22:18   #22
Short Round
Najohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodus View Post

I would like to point out again ^^^^
Old November 11th, 2014, 22:53   #23
Ozone06

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
Realistically, it's about simply not quitting.
This.

I can almost guarantee that I'm the fattest person that you'll see on the field.

I have two blown discs in my back, I played all of NF2 with a 6mm kidney stone aching the whole time. I cut the tip of my thumb off the day before Rhino 1, I got it wrapped up put on my mechanix and played the whole game cursing everytime pressure was applied to it. I've played skrim games with a pulled groin.

Quitting is a choice.

Getting all dizzy and blurred vision, that's a not knowing your limits and going too fast for too long.

Being part of the command structure for both NF2 and NF3 I can you tell that if everyone that's sat in the spawn area "resting" eating chow sleeping etc., just sat at the mortar pit or somewhere on the field they are 5000% more useful then some chair-softer not knowing what their limits are and going to bed. Hell go to bed on the field. Some one can kick you if the bad-guys show up and you can pull a trigger and be useful.

Having people stationary watching arcs and holding ground is HUGELY important. Too many airsofters want to be leet COD operator and push push push when pushing a shift key is a little easier than sprinting from spawn to the kitchen at PRZ for 18 hours.

It's a marathon not a sprint. Sit down someone has to be a guard at the end of the game when you can actually make a difference and not sitting in your car.

To answer your question.
Slow the fuck down.
Slow is smooth.
Smooth is fast.

Eat and drink when you can.
Make sure there's protein. Jerky is awesome.
Get some MRE/IMP'S -=and=- heater bags, warm food is so much better than cold food.
Gatorade is your best friend.
Make sure you get 8.5 hrs of sleep a night every night for a month before the game.

and finally

Last edited by Ozone06; November 11th, 2014 at 22:58..
Ozone06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 23:10   #24
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
Alpha Brain and Shroom Tech Sport, lots of both.
Old November 12th, 2014, 17:42   #25
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

Fuck me a lot of info, glad I asked lol.

I know pace and fitness are truly my core problems. At OP OP 2 I was the main comms guy on our squad and it was mentally taxing trying to figure shit out and relay plans and coordinate, I most definitely wasn't prepared for that.

When we finally had some rest time I was wiped out. I remember a teammate saying "you don't look so good" and then not much directly afterwards.

I have a lot to process through this thread so I thank each of you for your contribution.
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 17:57   #26
FirestormX

This is really all that you need to gather out of this thread:

FirestormX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 12:53   #27
Jbone 11 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone06 View Post

Being part of the command structure for both NF2 and NF3 I can you tell that if everyone that's sat in the spawn area "resting" eating chow sleeping etc., just sat at the mortar pit or somewhere on the field they are 5000% more useful then some chair-softer not knowing what their limits are and going to bed. Hell go to bed on the field. Some one can kick you if the bad-guys show up and you can pull a trigger and be useful.
As a Force Recon Member and game Staff for NF, I would strongly discourage you from following that bit of advice.

The whole point of eating and drinking properly is so you DONT cop Z's in the field... i.e. crashing.
Having a quick combat nap for a few minutes at 5AM during some downtime is one thing, but racking out at the CP not only is severely looked down upon, but also royally pisses off a lot of others that could not get a spot in the game that would have otherwise played through. If you are lucky enough to get into a NF game (or any other long format Milsim game for that matter), don't piss it away by racking out for a couple of hours at the CP while others are pushing hard.

As long as you hydrate yourself sufficiently, eat properly and are well rested before the game i.e. maybe having a rave the night before NF3 isn't such a good idea....???.... there really is no reason why you cannot make the duration. IF milsim is for you, I encourage you to be as fit as you can be and to learn how to play smart and be fair (with yourself and with other players)
Old November 13th, 2014, 17:50   #28
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

As I understand it better to be out a couple of hours in an event and finish as opposed to half or less and then leave your team short-handed. I plan on tackling NF4 and will be combining a few things in this thread to survive but I highly doubt I'll be up for every minute of a 24 hour event.
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 12:04   #29
talon

Just take sleep when you can. Sitting in a guard position? Establish a routine with your squad so some are up while the rest are dozing. You don't need to sleep in a cot or at base, it can be on the forest floor while at a listening hold or observation position. 30 mins here, an hour there really adds up.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 22:29   #30
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
This "pre hydration" drink more the week before BS from the first page of the thread is BS. Your body doesn't "learn" to store more water because you drink more. For fuck sake its the tens........GOOGLE IT.

Staying awake is a mind game, and you need practice to pull it off. If you are not used (or trained) to be sleep fucked, you will fall asleep when your body tells you to fall asleep.

The ONLY way to stay awake when your body tells you to sleep is to have the experience of, and know how to counteract that, and that means practice. In shitty conditions. Not on your couch.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures