Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

REVIEW: AN/PRC-148 MBITR, working replica by United-Star

:

Reviews

Old April 11th, 2011, 22:25   #271
SaltWaterDrinker

Send a message via MSN to SaltWaterDrinker
You know, I don't believe Hartmann is alone in his current predicament. I for one originally started with no functionality of the F key, and, gradually, it started working. I think I may have changed something in the key assignment menu.

In addition, I cannot setup channels in the non-preset mode. The button works properly, but no response occurs.

I've also found that this radio has minimal TX/RX...meaning that, using a repeater tower that is line of sight is a challenge. I mean, this rocks for close range operations - but don't expect anything like you would out of a different brand-name radio.

Don't cast this aside just yet, I still have to look into the idea that the bandsplit modification may have dealt with more degration issues than expected or, that the chip/radio itself can be retuned.

Is anyone using an actual Thales Broadband antenna with this badguy?
SaltWaterDrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 22:27   #272
SaltWaterDrinker

@conker
Ahh the famous 406.0 ELT frequency. I tell you: I've been on several missions where we've dealt with that thing and I have yet to actually hear it on the frequency. I miss the old 121.5 ELTs...they were fun. :P
Old April 12th, 2011, 15:42   #273
SaltWaterDrinker

To whom it may concern:

I took a trip down to McGuire AFB and went to a lab that deals with the PRC-148/6809s...the same lab that has been working on my 6809.

Anyways, an issue arose with degrading signal quality when using VHF or anything other than frequencies between 400Mhz and 470Mhz. I took the fake broadband antenna and replaced it with an actual Thales Broadband antenna(first gen.) The results were breath taking. I hit a repeater with little difficulty that is by my home in Levittown...easily 20 miles.

The fake broadband antenna/blade antenna that came with the United Star PRC-148 are specifically tuned for the UHF band andnothing else. If you guys can get your hands on legit Thales Broadband antennas, you'll be fine. If you can retune the fake one/change out the internals, you'll be just as good. Over the next week I am going to work on taking apart the fake broadband antenna and replacing the internals. If I come up with a successful solution, I'll post it on here.

In the meantime, keep the questions coming. I've received many PMs, but I'd like to start seeing them posted on this thread for everyone else to see.

Thanks guys!

Josh
Old April 12th, 2011, 18:45   #274
Karma_

You sir, are doing a great thing. We all really appreciate it.

Thank you

The cost of being legit is high
Karma_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 07:40   #275
Ares Ops Hartmann

Send a message via Skype™ to Ares Ops Hartmann
Okay, with the help of user Lucky I got new revelations about the f-key problem. We both tried to do exactly the same operations and use the same programming files and exchanged our results live via skype.

In his case it worked... in my case it failed. So, a quick conclusion would be that my Thales replica does not work properly on the hardware side. Could be a damaged circuit board, broken buttons etc...

I am really sad.
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/aresops/
Ares Ops Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 13:15   #276
SaltWaterDrinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares Ops Hartmann View Post
Okay, with the help of user Lucky I got new revelations about the f-key problem. We both tried to do exactly the same operations and use the same programming files and exchanged our results live via skype.

In his case it worked... in my case it failed. So, a quick conclusion would be that my Thales replica does not work properly on the hardware side. Could be a damaged circuit board, broken buttons etc...

I am really sad.
Don't get sad, and don't give up hope just yet. A lot of functionality items on my radio did not work at first.

This may have already been answered, but when you press the F key, does the F Symbol light up? If not, do you hear a clicking sound when you press the button?
I may have to talk you through taking this apart and fixing it. You'll just have to have an extremely delicate hand.

In other news...if anyone is interested in purchasing parts for a PRC-148/6809, I now have access to the ordering system...real thales antennas start at 160USD - for both the first, and second generation.
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:15   #277
Ares Ops Hartmann

Thank you for the kind words, Sir!

Yes, the F sign lights up in the display and when I press the second button to complete the operation... it does nothing. Even the "F" does not dissapear. If I press the "F-Key" again it will dissapear.

I will attach a small video I have made:

http://www.ares-ops.com/ares_public_vids/IMG_0866.MOV

(sorry for the cam angle...)

If squelch Level is "0" I can hear a humming noise from the speaker once I press the "GR" button. So, logically it must have an effect and it seems to be working...

If you could talk me through taking the radio apart it would be great. I would appreciate it very much.
Old April 14th, 2011, 06:05   #278
SaltWaterDrinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares Ops Hartmann View Post
Thank you for the kind words, Sir!

Yes, the F sign lights up in the display and when I press the second button to complete the operation... it does nothing. Even the "F" does not dissapear. If I press the "F-Key" again it will dissapear.

I will attach a small video I have made:
It's 0600 where I'm at right now, and I've got school and stuff to work on. Hartmann, your radio is not broken. There's a simple fix to make everything work out accordingly. I'll either make a video or post directions on here for you to follow that will rectify your situation.

Old April 14th, 2011, 06:14   #279
Ares Ops Hartmann

That would be a great deed! I appreciate that very much! A video would be really helpful (but step by step instructions also).

Thank you!
Old April 14th, 2011, 22:04   #280
philster911

Today i just tried my PRC 148 with my Comtac II ( i didn't have a PTT for the comtacs yet, only for my Sordin), and both transmitting and receiving functions are fine, even with my military boom mic from Peltor.

philster911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 22:26   #281
Yannos
likes touching tralalas

How can that be posible Phil? mine doesn't work but with a Element Mic it does work...
Old April 15th, 2011, 15:24   #282
Lucky131

Send a message via MSN to Lucky131 Send a message via Skype™ to Lucky131
I must say i also heard from a friend in germany that his radio and mic works w/o problems reciving and transmitting ....

Msa Sordins and Nexus U94 coiled and straight with U-229/U connector.

Damn i have the gen.2 at home since 6 months now but never had the chance to try out my sordins if others hear me :/
Lucky131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 17:00   #283
LOW TIDE

anyone have a working model they would be willing to sell? I sent mine back since it was not working (taken over a month to get resolved), and am hesitant to purchase another without knowing if it will work.

Or...does anyone have any suggestions on which place to order from? Actually let me re-phrase...I know where I can order them from, but did anyone have a "good" experience with shipping, customer service, etc...

Maybe I just got unlucky and got a bad unit, but the worse part was trying to get it resolved. Need to feel good about ordering the next one.

Last edited by LOW TIDE; April 15th, 2011 at 18:15..
LOW TIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 17:56   #284
Karma_

Try uncompany or redwolf

The cost of being legit is high
Karma_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 18:28   #285
doc_pathfinders

Been a while since i've posted on here, first of all wanted to say this is a great bit of kit (got one and programmed it yesterday) and the news that (with the aid of a real antenna) it can hit the low notes as well really does make this a deal..

i have a question that i promise you all i have googled, but i guess my google-foo is weak at the moment..

I have a radio that can send perfectly, but cannot receive _reliably_ sometimes i get a good 5 minutes of reception and then it's lost (buzzing, no speech can be heard) i have had it fade in and out (so i guess it's not a heating issue). I'm not Sigs, but i can solder. I know it's a shot in the dark and if this post is ignored i understand, just trying to understand why this is happening and if it is possible for me to fix.

-- Adolph Hitler, April 11 1942.

Adolph hitler supports gun control.. Do you?

Sic Semper Tyrannis.
doc_pathfinders is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews