Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Pistol - FPS how slow is too slow?

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old August 12th, 2015, 14:31   #1
8bitninja

So I have a favoured GBB, the Marui G26 which I've sparely upgraded with some functional mods such a Guarder outer barrel, steel mag release, etc. but also a 6.02 inner barrel. I find that I get exceptionally great grouping at 20ft using 0.25 BBs but it putters along at ~240 FPS with propane. I tried 0.20 but I don't get as tight a grouping, though I do hit 260 FPS.

The question is, if this becomes my primary weapon (hey, don't judge!), should I invest in a longer barrel and silencer to bring up the FPS and hopefully retain accuracy... or change the valves to high flow and maybe the knocker to up the potential speed? The barrel is very short in the G26 so I'm not sure if that is viable.

What I don't know is what the effective distance is currently for my tight grouping and it's not easy for me to find a place to test yet. So let's ignore that for the moment. My immediate though is if my engagement distance is 30-50 ft, I should be ok... but I don't want the BB to be flying in slow motion towards the target.

Your thoughts?
Old August 12th, 2015, 14:52   #2
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Use .32g BBs
If the fps is too low, then extend the barrel a bit or get higher flow internal valves.
My usp compact does a whopping 240fps on .32 but is super accurate at 160ft
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 15:44   #3
8bitninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
My usp compact does a whopping 240fps on .32 but is super accurate at 160ft
Thanks for this tidbit. I was just floating it out there if this FPS was simply "too low" eliciting responses like "wow, I can walk faster than that". I don't have any benchmark of any sort -- and I know I should do a test at a longer engagement range. Your comment does put me at a little more ease that I shouldn't be chasing a higher number such as 280/300 at the moment "just because".
8bitninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 15:47   #4
8bitninja

By the way, I made this thread after reading the comment "Speed; not enough is not good, too much is bad." from the "Smart and not so smart upgrades" sticky. I simply don't know if this is enough yet.
Old August 12th, 2015, 15:54   #5
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I also ran my tm 5-7 at a ridiculous low fps using .3s... I put in a tightbore to bring the fps up a bit, but otherwise, it was stock... velocity doesn't matter so much when you're shooting <50ft. Anything farther than that, you should be using your rifle.. unless you like a challenge.

My tm hk45 is also in the 260s or something like that with .3s I can't remember off the top of my head, but again, I don't need velocity when I'm that close.
Old August 12th, 2015, 16:10   #6
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Even if you upgrade the tits out of it, max you'll get is 290-310 (Based on E-luder reference) check out his user name and look up posts on his project tm builds.

If you're in Toronto, you can just hop into siege on weekdays and test it, that's what I did, (empty before 7ish).

If you're <50 feet, you really don't need to do much IMO, if you want better grouping do the inner and rubber, which you already did. (6.01, 6.03)

I run .25 strictly indoors, but some people run .30 for better accuracy, but I find them a bit to slow at times.

But yeah, as TC and LK said longer inner would do the trick, g26 has a small inner length to begin with, not as optimal as a g17 for example.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 16:15   #7
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist

FPs is overrated. My AEPs shoot in the 210-230 range and they are amazing at the close range you describe. As was said before, use heavier BBs, you will get a little more effective power thanks to joule creep and that will increase your accuracy significantly.

If you are worried about accuracy, you should first work on your shooting technique, then think about getting a high quality hop-up rubber for your pistol.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 16:46   #8
BioRage

^+1.

I don't care for FPS. My stock TM M&P9 rocked tits. I shoot until they call hit regardless.
Old August 12th, 2015, 17:07   #9
8bitninja

Messed up post. Edit later.
Old August 12th, 2015, 17:10   #10
BioRage

Yep, just bring a flash light to see where your bb's go, might have to hop onto second floor and shoot across, they changed their setup frequently, more and more CQB now.

My P09 duty was getting more then half the field on .25's was beast. If I still had my marui I'm sure I'd get the same results.

Magical hopup units ftw.
Old August 12th, 2015, 18:28   #11
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Well unless you're using the pistol as your primary and wanting to engage targets at 300ft, the range on your pistol isn't really critical, since 95% of the time you're engaging targets within 30ft or so.
But it's definitely nice to be able to hit someone at 160ft with it when you need it to lol
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 19:03   #12
8bitninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
Even if you upgrade the tits out of it, max you'll get is 290-310 (Based on E-luder reference) check out his user name and look up posts on his project tm builds.

If you're in Toronto, you can just hop into siege on weekdays and test it, that's what I did, (empty before 7ish).

If you're <50 feet, you really don't need to do much IMO, if you want better grouping do the inner and rubber, which you already did. (6.01, 6.03)

I run .25 strictly indoors, but some people run .30 for better accuracy, but I find them a bit to slow at times.

But yeah, as TC and LK said longer inner would do the trick, g26 has a small inner length to begin with, not as optimal as a g17 for example.

I'll be running pistols exclusively unless I'm designated cover... then I'll bring the TM G36C. Thanks for the max FPS reference, it gives me a theoretical ceiling. I was going to stop by Siege today but the gang event is going down.

As a primary, I will be using a KS G17 modestly upgraded for accuracy sake. I'm debating whether I should run it with a longer barrel/silencer combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakker View Post
FPs is overrated. My AEPs shoot in the 210-230 range and they are amazing at the close range you describe. As was said before, use heavier BBs, you will get a little more effective power thanks to joule creep and that will increase your accuracy significantly.

If you are worried about accuracy, you should first work on your shooting technique, then think about getting a high quality hop-up rubber for your pistol.

My technique is pretty solid, though not pro level. I've been shooting for quite a while though not airsoft. I do not underestimate the value of practice though. I've read about joule creep but have yet to understand, will do more reading.

Quote:
^+1.

I don't care for FPS. My stock TM M&P9 rocked tits. I shoot until they call hit regardless.

I too, would like to rock some tits. Let me know where this tit rocking happens?

Quote:
Yep, just bring a flash light to see where your bb's go, might have to hop onto second floor and shoot across, they changed their setup frequently, more and more CQB now.

My P09 duty was getting more then half the field on .25's was beast. If I still had my marui I'm sure I'd get the same results.

Magical hopup units ftw.

Definitely need to get in there. Thanks for the tip, I forgot about Siege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Well unless you're using the pistol as your primary and wanting to engage targets at 300ft, the range on your pistol isn't really critical, since 95% of the time you're engaging targets within 30ft or so.
But it's definitely nice to be able to hit someone at 160ft with it when you need it to lol

Yes, it will be primary and no, I'm not so green behind the ears as to want to hit a fairy-dust-enhanced 200ft dime grouping Thanks everyone for their responses, given me some food for thought.
Old August 15th, 2015, 14:47   #13
fuhrmanz
previously Bunker_King

Send a message via MSN to fuhrmanz
In Germany, I used a Cyma G17 Electric Pistol I think. The guy told me it wasn't faster then 140 fps. I think it was 110 fps. I managed to get kills in an outdoor quarry.

On a side note, I was laughing my ass off to see the BB fly so slow but eh, it's their law.
Just like real AKs.
fuhrmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2015, 23:01   #14
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

275 fps with .3s today in the heat with the tm hk45. 310 with .2s

The .3s were raping at ridiculous ranges for pistol, but I didn't use it much. I have the hop dialed to max and I can't get the .3s to overhop, they go wickedly straight for about 40-50m and slowly fade down. They were landing at the base of a target I was putting rounds straight into with my aeg at 310 with .32s
Old August 15th, 2015, 23:41   #15
8bitninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
The .3s were raping at ridiculous ranges for pistol, but I didn't use it much. I have the hop dialed to max and I can't get the .3s to overhop, they go wickedly straight for about 40-50m and slowly fade down. They were landing at the base of a target I was putting rounds straight into with my aeg at 310 with .32s
You're tempting me What pistol and using the stock rubber?
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications