Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

BB's in the Field

:

Newbie Tank

Old May 16th, 2011, 20:35   #1
slink182

BB's in the Field

I've tried a few wildcard searches trying to find the answer to this, but have not been successful. So, here it is...

In the field, what TYPE of BB's are generally used - standard plastic or biodegradeables? Or is it the Field's rules for type of BB's used? I am curious (and environmentally conscious... to a point, anyway).

Note that this is DEFINITELY NOT a question about any of the following: maker, grade, weight, polish/finish, or reliability. I just want to know what the Field generally prefer to be shot on property.

Thanks.
slink182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 20:39   #2
Tex

A few fields are bio only and at least one that I know of limits players to field BB's only. But for the most part it play with what you want.

_/|
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 20:39   #3
SuperCriollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slink182 View Post
I've tried a few wildcard searches trying to find the answer to this, but have not been successful. So, here it is...

In the field, what TYPE of BB's are generally used - standard plastic or biodegradeables? Or is it the Field's rules for type of BB's used? I am curious (and environmentally conscious... to a point, anyway).

Note that this is DEFINITELY NOT a question about any of the following: maker, grade, weight, polish/finish, or reliability. I just want to know what the Field generally prefer to be shot on property.

Thanks.
Depends, ask your host.

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 20:51   #4
Dart

most don't allow silica though. Something that can crack glass should not be shot at humans.
Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 21:07   #5
Renegade)
A Total Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart View Post
most don't allow silica though. Something that can crack glass should not be shot at humans.
I can shatter a glass bottle with a .30 styrene... I can crack a window at 10 feet with .28 from my M4 sub 400 FPS... By your reasoning, we shouldn't be shooting airsoft at eachother?

My point is, read the many discussions on Silica... they cause the same amount of damage to skin, teeth, plastic equipment as regular bb's do. The only difference is they travel right through glass since they are made of it.

To answer the OP: A lot of Paintball fields are moving to bio only, the ministry of environment is the protagonist behind this. Most fields limit what bb's you can use, including weights.
Some dont allow bio
Some dont allow silica
Some indoor facilities limit your weight to .20 at sub 350FPS.

If your not sure when you sign up for a game, ask the hosting player. Chances are, others are curious as well.
Old May 16th, 2011, 23:02   #6
kullwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade) View Post
I can shatter a glass bottle with a .30 styrene... I can crack a window at 10 feet with .28 from my M4 sub 400 FPS... By your reasoning, we shouldn't be shooting airsoft at eachother?

My point is, read the many discussions on Silica... they cause the same amount of damage to skin, teeth, plastic equipment as regular bb's do. The only difference is they travel right through glass since they are made of it.

To answer the OP: A lot of Paintball fields are moving to bio only, the ministry of environment is the protagonist behind this. Most fields limit what bb's you can use, including weights.
Some dont allow bio
Some dont allow silica

If your not sure when you sign up for a game, ask the hosting player. Chances are, others are curious as well.
The reason why silica bbs are banned in most game is simply the kinetic energy transfer to target is higher. Most bb shatter or deform, silica doesn't. I can understand why bio bb used to be banned simply due to the nature of too easily shatter (and produce small fragment that can go through mesh goggle which one shouldn't be wearing in first place). However, more big manufacture have jump in on it, and now most big brands bb don't shatter

As for OP question, it purely depends on the bb source. in Edmonton quite alot of people now are using bio bb simply because we have Capital Airsoft and Bent Barrel that sells them. Another thing to consider is bb weight
Silica are: 0.27, 0.28g
bio are: 0.20, 0.25, 0.28, and 0.30g (0.40g are also available however, only Bioval produce it. There's no distributor in Canada that offers it)
Steyrene: 0.12, 0.20, 0.22, 0.23, 0.25, 0.28, 0.30, 0.36, 0.40, 0.46g

For heavy weight user ('sniper') typically favors 0.36g+ which bio bb does not have. 0.30g is the heaviest AFAIK and only green devil (distributor in Canada) and bioval produces it.
Old May 16th, 2011, 23:31   #7
Zeonprime

Location: Waterloo, kitchener, guelph, mississauga, north east toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade) View Post

Some dont allow bio
Some dont allow silica

D, he is a kitchener player asking the original question, so what is the current FR ruling?

Quote:
Be safe not just with yourself, but those you play with. If you are reckless with other peoples safety then you will leave.
Zeonprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:04   #8
coach
aka coachster

FR will eventually be moving to bio only.

The only bio's I've tried so far are bastards and it was only because there were no styrene available, and they worked flawlessly and I didn't notice any significant performance change. (.28's in both my AEG and GBBR)
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:04   #9
slink182

Thanks, all!

I suppose I should keep both materials and a few weights onhand. And if in doubt in materials, ask the host.
slink182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:17   #10
coach
aka coachster

If bio's are a field requirement, it will always be posted on the game thread. Also bio only field will typically have field BB's or possibly a field Bastard in respects to Flag Raiders at all games.

Yes, there will still be some places that have no preference so having some of your favorite styrene supply on hand is a good idea.

One thing with bio's is that you'll need to be mindful of how you store them. Keep them dry and out of the sun. Unload left over mags and try not to reuse them if you just played in a wet game. Or at the least, don't mix them with your dry stock.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:26   #11
Phileas Fogg
formerly Fileasfog

I use bio bb exclusively i dont feel comfortable shooting plastic everywhere
Phileas Fogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:10   #12
Renegade)
A Total Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeonprime View Post
D, he is a kitchener player asking the original question, so what is the current FR ruling?
FR is making the transition to BIO only. They have shown interest in carrying a supply of BB Bastard BIO on site so that no one is turned away unprepared with BIO for the day.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank