Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Remembrance Day

:

General

Closed Thread

Old November 10th, 2005, 21:12   #1
whisper_kill

Remembrance Day

As I won't be online all day tomorrow, I'd like to start the annual Remembrance Day thread (hopefully I didn't duplicate an already existing thread!!).

Tomorrow as always, I plan on attending the civic ceremony followed up by my father (ex Major with the ONTR) and myself going to the armoury Officer's Mess to tip a couple back, then off to the Legion to finish it off.

Hats off to my brother Master Corporal Mike Trubela stationed with the Royal Canadian Dragoon's and my Grandfather Leighton Astrop (passed away) who served with our Canadian Forces during WW2, the REAL SOLDIERS!

Cheers!

*EDIT* I just came across a Remembrance Day thread. I apologize.
Old November 10th, 2005, 21:33   #2
|2enegade

imagine we all changed our avatars to that of a poppy....
(I apologize for being corny)

"And the Lord said unto John, 'Come forth and receive eternal life.' But John came fifth and won a toaster."
Old November 10th, 2005, 21:36   #3
gandar

Send a message via MSN to gandar
Many of us do change ours to something relating to that effect. My MSN pic is currently a poppy, as is this avitar (obviously).

Alternatively, I could just light you on fire. - Me
Old November 10th, 2005, 22:20   #4
|2enegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandar
Many of us do change ours to something relating to that effect. My MSN pic is currently a poppy, as is this avitar (obviously).
mind if I borrow yours?

"And the Lord said unto John, 'Come forth and receive eternal life.' But John came fifth and won a toaster."
Old November 10th, 2005, 22:24   #5
Digital_Assasin

I make a new sig and use it on all of my forums every year.
Old November 10th, 2005, 22:31   #6
Death

I was reading in the paper the other day that the Poppy is now a copyright of the Canadian Legion and cannot be displayed without consent from them
FUCKERS!FUCKERS!FUCKERS!FUCKERS!FUCKFUCKFUCKERS!ER FUCKEFUCKFFUCKEFUCKERS!RS!UCKEFUCKERS!RS!ERS!RS!S! ERS!FUCKERS!FUCKERS!
kick in chat bann !fuck you server!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smack:

Old November 10th, 2005, 22:47   #7
Aquamarine
PanSexual

Send a message via MSN to Aquamarine Send a message via Yahoo to Aquamarine Send a message via Skype™ to Aquamarine
Please don't think of me as a cock-sucker, but shouldn't this be in the OffTopic section?
Old November 10th, 2005, 22:52   #8
ATREYU

Send a message via ICQ to ATREYU Send a message via MSN to ATREYU Send a message via Skype™ to ATREYU
We will remember those who have gone before us, and work for those whom we come before
Old November 10th, 2005, 22:52   #9
whisper_kill

I suppose it should, and that's my fault. I'm sure if the mod's that be feel it needs to be moved they will do so. In the meantime, may I respectfully request that we keep this thread on topic.

Remembrance Day is just that. Time to remember. It's not about avatar's, forum sections or copyright law. No disrespect intended... I just want to make sure we don't divert too far from this very serious topic.
Old November 10th, 2005, 23:08   #10
ATREYU

Send a message via ICQ to ATREYU Send a message via MSN to ATREYU Send a message via Skype™ to ATREYU
We should remember those who went before us, as well as all those who are serving now and somewhat forgotten amongst daily life. The day is to remember our fallen, as well as those who are still with us, whether in the uniform of a soldier, a member of the legion, or a humble man in his sunday best. These people are my hero's. I love nothing more than to stand and talk to the vet's and listen to the tales they tell. There are some things they may never tell, but for the most part, they enjoy telling the stories! Talk to a vet... and tell him thanks!
Old November 10th, 2005, 23:13   #11
Arnisador
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Arnisador
/removes mod hat

I don't have a problem with this particular thread being in the general section. For that matter, it doesn't matter that there may be another thread too. The more we keep Rememberance Day as an important focal point, the more we keep Rememberance Day from being forgotten.

After all...a large majority of us emulate armed forces members...the least we can do is show some respect for those that came before.

I'll be attending the outdoor service like I do every year, and bringing the family with me. This afternoon, my son was given the honor of laying the wreath for his school service, and my 4 year old daughter has been asking all week, "when are we going to the statue with the red flowers". 8-)

Lest we forget...
It doesn't seem much, to stir a man's soul. Just a moth eaten rag on a worm eaten pole. But 'tis the deeds that were done 'neath this moth eaten rag, when the pole was a staff, and the rag was a flag.

CUM CATAPULTAE PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPT CATAPULTAS HABEBUNT
Old November 11th, 2005, 00:09   #12
Curtis Tactics

Send a message via MSN to Curtis Tactics
so anyone here actually in the resevres or something??
if so what regiment and where??
im i the army cadets 2827 dukes port moody
and ill be in a parade tomorrow i wonder if im going to be on tv!!!!
Old November 11th, 2005, 00:15   #13
ATREYU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Tactics
so anyone here actually in the resevres or something??
if so what regiment and where??
im i the army cadets 2827 dukes port moody
and ill be in a parade tomorrow i wonder if im going to be on tv!!!!
http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=12298
Old November 11th, 2005, 00:28   #14
BuSaPuNk

it's too bad i'm going to be at work and not get to be in any events going on tommarow. but i will stop and remember, as i always do (or my dad, the membership chair of our legion branch will kill me) i hope i don't have to tell people at work to shut the hell up and show some respect i've had to do it 3 years in a row.....and quite frankly i hate it....

Private Contractor
Seal Team Sex
Old November 11th, 2005, 00:30   #15
|2enegade

German Remembrance Day

How do the Germans and other nations once belonging to the Axis celebrate this day?
Unfortunately, they could not possibly celebrate it with the same degree of passion that we do, for when we celebrate we not only remember, but we thank too. We remember and thank those who laid their lives down for our nation, for the purpose of good to rise above evil. But unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the German veterans... Of course, the former axis nations can still remember for the sake of not forgetting, and can still thank the allies for releasing their nation from the grips of angst and terror, however, there most be a level of personal anguish for these people that they cannot thank their own veterans, just merely remember them as "those poor souls" who were brainwashed to lay down their lives for evil. Surely they cannot view their veterans as heros as we do ours, but by the same token, there must be some sort of emotional conflict if they were to thank our veterans for killing theirs (because, in essence and without frill, that is how the war was won). How must it feel for a German who lost his great-grandfather in the war to thank an allied soldier who possibly killed him? Of course, logic dictates that it was done for the best of all, but surely it cannot hold the same weight in gratitude that we do when we thank our veterans...

Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General