Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Mosquitoes

:

General

Closed Thread

Old June 7th, 2005, 19:42   #61
Bordush
Banned

I use Deep Woods OFF for Sportsmen. (In the blue can) Its says unscented, but whatever smell it does have actually smells good, unlike the other stuff that has that horrible smell. Dont know if its the best for repelling, but when Im wearing it mosquitoes never bug me so anything better isn't needed anyways.

Mark
Old June 10th, 2005, 18:21   #62
[Avtomat]

lemon

I’ve also heard that they hate the smell of lemon. Just buy some lemons and get a friend to rub it on you. LOL :lol:
WE hi-capa 5.1 striker - gone
TM Ak47 - gone
Western Arms Inifnity 3.9 - gone

Get your answers here!
Answers: $5
Good Answers: $10
Correct Answers: $20
Well-researched Answers complete with reference: $150/hr plus materials
Old June 10th, 2005, 21:24   #63
Lex

I dose myself in gasoline.

Works like a charm.

I'm going to try smoking on top of this, it'll help keep those bugs away, right?

http://www.bikercowboy.com

"...and if I fall, to taste the ground, and you hear that firebell sound. Don't fear, it's just the bullets, bouncing off my helmet..." -Hawksley Workman

"I sir, point & laugh at you from across the ocean."-Aquamarine

"It is that same freedom to choose that many organized faiths refuse to accept. And for that, I refuse to accept them."-MadMorbius
Old June 11th, 2005, 02:15   #64
Zartan

The hell with gas, it evaporates too fast. I use bearing grease myself.
Old June 11th, 2005, 03:48   #65
nic_s

95% DEET and lots of cigarettes. Meh.
Old June 11th, 2005, 16:06   #66
z31a

You know those Tilly hats with the loops that run along the outer side? You take a bug coil and then break it into 2-3" sections. Then stick eack piece into the loops and then light. sure you get a smoking hat, but if you're one of those people who freak out after the 5000th bite in 1 hour you'll be trying this, too.
Old June 12th, 2005, 13:22   #67
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants

Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
What the first nation peoples did was cover themselves in Bear Fat/Grease. It works great if you can get it. Steady garlic consumption and I use my combat scarf or shemagh apply the deet to it wrap in appropriate fashion.
Hat goggles scarf and proper airsoft attire where are they gonna get you?
The citronella candles are a great gimmick the light attracts the bugs then get repelled from the smell so come over to you for a snack around the camp fire. Trick I learned pour the excess Citronella candle wax on the bon fire, oh this is dangerous so step back fast. Bright hot flame averages a 5 foot leap, anything in the radius will lose its wings. Oh and your mother was right "don't scratch!" its the difference between 2days and two weeks.
Cheers
Old June 12th, 2005, 15:56   #68
MiniMcNabb
E-09

Use whatever has the most deet in a spray bottle, areosol is what fucks up your guns when you miss and spray your goggles and gun. If you use a spray you can spray into your hands and then rub it on. I havin't noticed much melting on my guns/goggles because of deet, then again its not a huge deal to me since I don't baby my gear.
Make sure to take your goggles off before applying the deet, essspecially if you still use an aerosol, I see lots of people forget they have their goggles on their head and just spray all over themselves.
Old August 15th, 2005, 14:44   #69
Laike

Being stupidly allergic to mosquitos (trust me, the amount of bites I recieved, still no immunity) I've discovered the most potent mix to control bite/swlling/itch is AfterBite (I never have found it to sting) with Tigerbalm, Cortisone, and Anti Histamines (Benedril etc). With that, I find myself not itching anymore, but feeling like a needle poking into the bites.

Anyways, I'll try the bounce theory next time I go out. I'll skip the deet and carry a few sheets of bounce, if anyone else wants to play guinea pig.
Old August 15th, 2005, 15:16   #70
Falcon_24

Some of you are saying you aren't scared of west nile? When you get it, you'll be scared for life, my mom's friend got it, and he was sick for 6 months with something that was worth then the flu. He ALWAYS puts on repellent. 6 months, sick. And he had a job he had to go to, and he lived on an acridge so he still had to do so much work. West Nile is worse then you think, I used to say West Nile was no biggy and I'd just get sick for a month. But I guess iit lasts 6 months.
Old August 15th, 2005, 16:06   #71
*CRASH*

In the army "skin so soft" was quite popular... and no, not just when lonely... for die hard smokers, a pipe does an excellent job (green amphora is good).
Old August 15th, 2005, 20:21   #72
fantastix

A good emergency repellant, is good old fashion mud. I was stuck lying prone for a good hour being eaten by a swarm of them. I was wearing bug spray, but smearing dirt and mud on any exposed skin prevented them from landing. It also absorbs sweat, sticks and cools you down, stops the itching of previous bites and camoflauges you.

Not recommended if you dont like getting dirty.
Old August 15th, 2005, 21:00   #73
Dozer_01

From personal tests, i have found that deet really doesnt work too well. I find the "skin so soft" moisturizer with 0% deet works like a charm. Works better that that crazy 70% deet muskol shit you can get.
Old August 16th, 2005, 23:44   #74
kymoz

Send a message via MSN to kymoz
Hi
To my opinion, you should ***AVOID*** at all cost the use of any kind of non-natural bug repellants. The cancer issue is no bullshit. Some of the DEET and OFF ingredients are the same as the ones in the ORANGE AGENT (strong vegetation killer that the US army used to destroy the Vietnamian forests during the war. The ORANGE AGENT still causes some malformations among the Vietnamian population http://www.vn.refer.org/vietnam/arti...id_article=299 )

Some of you might say "bullshit" again? Read and try this if you dont beleive:
Few years ago, I had nothing to do of my Sunday afternoon. So I went in my back yard with an OFF can (?) I then saw a bee flying arround. I shot ONLY ONE cloud of OFF on the bee. It fell on the ground, moved a few seconds and rested there montionless. "Funny", I thought, so I vaporizated every insect in the area (I was young). The day after, every leaf that had some OFF on had fallen dead and brown ( my mother never understood what had happenen).

If you still feel like putting OFF on your skin... then you're as Hardcore than Rambo... and as stupid.

Kymoz
Old August 17th, 2005, 01:35   #75
made Man

Send a message via ICQ to made Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastix
A good emergency repellant, is good old fashion mud. I was stuck lying prone for a good hour being eaten by a swarm of them. I was wearing bug spray, but smearing dirt and mud on any exposed skin prevented them from landing. It also absorbs sweat, sticks and cools you down, stops the itching of previous bites and camoflauges you.
It also keeps Predators from seeing you with their different visions :nod: :kill:
You dont choose who you love, love chooses you; and that little fucking son of a bitch sticks itself to your face like the godless bloodsucking bastards in Alien and refuses to let go until it has drained your soul and left you an empty shell of a human being.

I am worth $2,106,266.00 on HumanForSale.com

<axel026> i need help please
<^cell^> do you have an appointment?
<axel026> im french
<^cell^> i see... thats a terrible disorder
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General