Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Helmet.. Worth getting?

:

Gear Discussion

Old July 29th, 2013, 14:10   #31
TANNER
ChrisUK

+1 for the Protec skateboarding helmet. Light, cheap, snug fitting, and guaranteed to protect against bumps. Find a matt black or take some fine grain sandpaper to a gloss version.

Sure you may get shot through the vent holes now and again, but its worth it to keep your head cool.

]

I wouldn't go to an indoor game without one. Apart from the protection against bumps / falls getting shot in the head on a regular basis at close range is not too enjoyable.

Last edited by TANNER; July 29th, 2013 at 14:15..
TANNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 14:26   #32
JDoorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Cobra should be wearing his helmet all the time :P

I have one of the Emerson Base Jump helmets, infact a lot of us on the team run them. They are great quality and are less than 50$ if you don't want to shell out 230$ for a real ops core.
Where did you find them for less than $50?
JDoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 14:34   #33
m102404
Tys

LOL...love that guy's new tag and avatar pic

I've seen too many really nasty head smashes, and nasty head smashes avoided, to say anything but...a properly fitted helmet in CQB is a "must have" IMO. .....Ask Mr. Shiney how it feels to fall on concrete with his bare head.

Field/forest stuff...not necessary IMO...unless you're running some gear or doing something that necessitates them.

Head shots in field games hurt...in CQB they hurt a lot more...but neither are going to lay you out.

If you're just dressing up...then get repro stuff. If you want to protect your head in the event of an impact that's going to mess with your brain...then get a real helmet that fits you properly. Beware of expecting repro stuff...it may look the part, it may even feel/fit like a helment should...but they're not made the same. (a great example were those repro "ballistic" eye pro....that didn't stop BBs...funny, but not for the guy who gets shot)

There's not too much more to it than that.

Protect helmets will do the trick...A-Alphas are just fine. The real ops core base jump helmets fit really nicely.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 17:09   #34
Reignman
Hammburglar

Send a message via MSN to Reignman Send a message via Skype™ to Reignman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Where did you find them for less than $50?
My first helmet was an IBH. I think a bed pan would be more comfortable. I then went to the Protec and it was comfy but felt rather large on my head. I switched to the Emerson Base Jump and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love it.

42$

This is the FMA one. It's practically the same. Apextac ships fast and is awesome..

FMA Base Jump

Do you really think all 322 spots will sell out in a single day

Last edited by Reignman; July 29th, 2013 at 17:13..
Reignman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 17:32   #35
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
If you're just dressing up...then get repro stuff. If you want to protect your head in the event of an impact that's going to mess with your brain...then get a real helmet that fits you properly. Beware of expecting repro stuff...it may look the part, it may even feel/fit like a helment should...but they're not made the same.
While it's true they aren't made the same, some repros are actually pretty solid (the heavy fiberglass MICH replicas, for example): they're not ballistic and they're no substitute for a proper helmet when one is required (bike, hockey, mountain climbing, job site, etc) but for the type of bumps your noggin' is likely to take playing airsoft they will protect your head (they're actually probably more solid than the average $15 hard hat). You do need to replace the crappy foam pads with proper MICH pads (issue or gel); even without reference to concussions, the stock foam is utter crap. The overall set will still set you back about $100+, but it's half the price (or better) off a real MICH and fits the "look" if that's what you're after.

I have one of those repro CRYE AirFrames too; its lighter than the MICH but still would protect against a nasty bump. Had to replace the pads on that too (to get it to fit, for comfort, etc); used MICH pads (except the crown pad).

The bottom line is if you're gonna whack your head on a concrete corner or metal beam or something, even those crappy $20 plastic PASGT helmets is gonna be better than nothing.
Old July 29th, 2013, 17:48   #36
hollywood...
cranky old man

Even I will wear a Helmet from time to time - more so in CQB

6mm Headaches can ruin the day.

MICH2000 repro's are worth the $50 - 60
Old July 29th, 2013, 17:54   #37
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood... View Post

6mm Headaches can ruin the day.

MICH2000 repro's are worth the $50 - 60
+1 this. (even if i've said it earlier in thread.)

Mich2000 repro + replacement higher grade webbing, + interior padding from a time-expired motorcycle helmet == damn sure better than nothing.
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 19:03   #38
GBBR
Banned

Send a message via MSN to GBBR Send a message via Skype™ to GBBR
not only are helmets important so are jockstraps.

I was next to cookedham when he got shot in the balls.
GBBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 11:05   #39
m102404
Tys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
While it's true they aren't made the same, some repros are actually pretty solid (the heavy fiberglass MICH replicas, for example): they're not ballistic and they're no substitute for a proper helmet when one is required (bike, hockey, mountain climbing, job site, etc) but for the type of bumps your noggin' is likely to take playing airsoft they will protect your head (they're actually probably more solid than the average $15 hard hat). You do need to replace the crappy foam pads with proper MICH pads (issue or gel); even without reference to concussions, the stock foam is utter crap. The overall set will still set you back about $100+, but it's half the price (or better) off a real MICH and fits the "look" if that's what you're after.

I have one of those repro CRYE AirFrames too; its lighter than the MICH but still would protect against a nasty bump. Had to replace the pads on that too (to get it to fit, for comfort, etc); used MICH pads (except the crown pad).

The bottom line is if you're gonna whack your head on a concrete corner or metal beam or something, even those crappy $20 plastic PASGT helmets is gonna be better than nothing.
Fair points taken...

I wrote my post targeted to the OP (and the like) who seemed like a "new" guy and asking a decent question. My point being...don't go repro (or homebrew) if you're looking for head protection.

Fair enough, and quite true, SOME of the repro stuff is quite sturdy...and would help to shake off the "run into a low doorway" type of stuff. And they can be made to be more comfortable and serviceable by replacing padding, straps, etc... But I didn't feel like offering up that as an option was prudent IF a new guy is looking to protect their head/brain from concussive injuries.

If they are looking at real options they can be had really cheaply. My first Protec was $30, my A-Alpha was $50, repro MICH was $20, ballistic MICH (didn't fit...too small) was under $100...etc...

Ballistic this or that is obviously not needed for airsoft...I wouldn't bother.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 11:30   #40
EagleDriver

I have both the real Ops Core Basejump and the FMA Basejump. For the difference in price, the FMA is the way to go. There are a few small details that could be better, but they are definitely not worth the $180 cost difference in what I paid between the two.
EagleDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 18:46   #41
Reignman
Hammburglar

Send a message via MSN to Reignman Send a message via Skype™ to Reignman
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleDriver View Post
I have both the real Ops Core Basejump and the FMA Basejump. For the difference in price, the FMA is the way to go. There are a few small details that could be better, but they are definitely not worth the $180 cost difference in what I paid between the two.
Exactly what I was trying to say.

I have put my Emerson side by side with ViR's real Op's core. Nothing noticeable in difference besides a marking in the shroud. Padding in the real is alot better but the knock off isn't bad at all.

1 thing I like a lot better is the real ops core dial doesn't loosen up.
Do you really think all 322 spots will sell out in a single day
Reignman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 15:44   #42
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
I wrote my post targeted to the OP (and the like) who seemed like a "new" guy and asking a decent question. My point being...don't go repro (or homebrew) if you're looking for head protection.
And again, I totally agree; repro is no substitute for real protection.

But (in response to some people who totally don't want to wear em) even the crappiest helmet can make the difference between seeing stars and maybe a concussion, and leaving on a stretcher with your head split open.

Reminds me this video of the guy falling off a rooftop: http://youtu.be/V9yVjhY3mNM
Old August 6th, 2013, 16:05   #43
K3vX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Reminds me this video of the guy falling off a rooftop: http://youtu.be/V9yVjhY3mNM
Ouuuuch.

Looks like the guy got lucky and didn't broke anything.
K3vX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 19:24   #44
SuperHog

This debate can go on forever. Helmets are mandatory in all kinds of sports and industrial use. Designed to protect your one brain you have.

But for airsoft, goggles and face protection are part of my head protection requirements.

I have friends that wear only eye protection, and a few have missing front teeth, also commented that they hate wearing eye protection because it always fog up. If the field did not make eye wear mandatory, people would not wear it either.
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 14:30   #45
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
I came from paintball, and by standard paintball you need a full mask.

When I started airsoft I didn't wear a helmet, same day I played in CQB I got shot in the head. Man did that cause a huge bump with blood, threw me off for quite some time, hurt like a mofo.

So then, I went and got a helmet.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion