Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Crossing Border in Car to Play in USA: Procedure to Bring Own Guns?

:

General

Old March 28th, 2019, 17:46   #1
Kozure

Question Crossing Border in Car to Play in USA: Procedure to Bring Own Guns?

Last year I posted my experience with bringing Airsoft guns to another province by flying: http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=193765

This year, a friend has invited me to play at his home field, Futureball Paintball https://www.futureball.com/ in Ann Arbor, Michigan, a little hop over the border for me coming from Toronto.

I'd like to bring my own Airsoft guns, a VFC VR-16 Saber Carbine, a heavily modded Dboys AKS-74U as a backup, one or two GBBPs, as well as three Cyclone grenades.

I have lockable gun cases and have transported them in planes, so I know the deal for transporting them on planes, but not across the US-Canada border.

Can anyone possibly do a point-by-point explanation of the process like I did above for flying domestically?

I'm trying to determine if it's ultimately too much effort to bring them, or if it's not too bad.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Kozure; March 28th, 2019 at 17:52..
Kozure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2019, 10:49   #2
Kozure

A person named Josh Mordarski posted this on FB:

Quote:
If you're talking road travel, going into the US you will need an orange tip (you can buy a cheap plastic one if you don't already have one), and a lockable gun case. Coming back to Canada, you need a form to show that your nug (AEG/GBBR/HPA) shoots consistently above 366fps and below 500fps.

We transported our nugs down to Oklahoma for East Wind three years in a row using this method without issue.
Sounds like sound advice. Can anyone confirm Josh's suggestion?
Old April 1st, 2019, 15:35   #3
chaz

You will need to get a BSF407 form (formally Y38) filled out at a CBSA office. Pearson is 24/7. Form explained

Go to the office, explain why you are there. They will make you get the guns from your car and bring them in (obviously in cases). They hand you the form, you fill it out with the unique serial #'s on the guns. They verify, you sign, they sign. Off you go. Takes like 5-10 minutes. The form is just a temporary exportation card stating that you legally purchased them in Canada. They asked that they were not shooting over 500fps but didn't test them. No proof of purchase needs to be shown.

The orange tip is a federal transport thing in the USA.

Last edited by chaz; April 1st, 2019 at 15:38..
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2019, 11:41   #4
Kozure

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
You will need to get a BSF407 form (formally Y38) filled out at a CBSA office. Pearson is 24/7. Form explained

Go to the office, explain why you are there. They will make you get the guns from your car and bring them in (obviously in cases). They hand you the form, you fill it out with the unique serial #'s on the guns. They verify, you sign, they sign. Off you go. Takes like 5-10 minutes. The form is just a temporary exportation card stating that you legally purchased them in Canada. They asked that they were not shooting over 500fps but didn't test them. No proof of purchase needs to be shown.

Thanks, Chaz. I'll try going through that process and report back on my experiences here. Appreciate the pointer!
Old April 2nd, 2019, 11:58   #5
Sidster71

We're gone back and forth our west without issue nor orange tips however we have to fill out customs forms to be able to prove that we didn't buy in the US and bring them back. the rule seems to be here that you get all your things setup with optics etc. as you like then take them to the border at which time they sticker them if no serial number is visible and detail the unit in question.

I also have an excel spreadsheet that details my equipment going down for them to review and apply stickers to for proof of they've been in Canada which bypasses the FPS issue.

The border CBSA guys have been pretty easy out here to work with as long as you're up front about your gear, products and related. There are 6 of us going to Lion Claw in CA this year so we're all in the process of going thru inventories right now as well.

Sid
Sidster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2019, 18:42   #6
Jaeger_CDN

how far ahead do you need to do the CBSA portion?

I'm thinking of going south this summer for a game but the nearest CBSA office is 2 hrs in the wrong direction for me? Can it be done at time of crossing (provided you fill out most of the form ahead of time)?
Jaeger_CDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2019, 18:47   #7
chaz

I believe you can, and when I called the lady did say I could do it at the border, but my concern is if there are any complications there, you are not crossing.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 18:13   #8
QKLee11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post

Never had an issue, go to CSBA and get the form, never had an issue with the orange tip, this might be new.
QKLee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 13:30   #9
rehab27

Will there be problems with sidearms with the low fps coming back to canada?

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
rehab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 19:46   #10
verb

Forgive me for piggybacking on this question - but has anyone had any experience transporting HPA guns to the US and back into Canada?
verb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2019, 00:57   #11
Kozure

I went to CBSA recently and got the requisite BSF407 form and worked with the security agent. As far as I can tell everything is squared away, but I'll write up a full detailed process description when I get back from the States.
Old July 25th, 2019, 20:10   #12
Spengler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozure View Post
I went to CBSA recently and got the requisite BSF407 form and worked with the security agent. As far as I can tell everything is squared away, but I'll write up a full detailed process description when I get back from the States.
Sounds good. Keep us posted.
Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2019, 21:55   #13
john3302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidster71 View Post
We're gone back and forth our west without issue nor orange tips however we have to fill out customs forms to be able to prove that we didn't buy in the US and bring them back. the rule seems to be here that you get all your things setup with optics etc. as you like then take them to the border at which time they sticker them if no serial number is visible and detail the unit in question.

I also have an excel spreadsheet that details my equipment going down for them to review and apply stickers to for proof of they've been in Canada which bypasses the FPS issue.

The border CBSA guys have been pretty easy out here to work with as long as you're up front about your gear, products and related. There are 6 of us going to Lion Claw in CA this year so we're all in the process of going thru inventories right now as well.

Sid
Do you need a orange tip in Washington state? I was thinking of going to Seattle to play. So fill the CBSA form to prove you purchased them in Canada for re-entry. What about driving through the US customs. You tell them you have airsoft guns. Do they inspect them etc. No orange tip etc.?
Thanks
john3302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 15:45   #14
chaz

Just drive through, tell them what you have, where you are going, that you have proper paperwork, etc. The orange tip thing is different by state, don't think the border guys care... atleast when we travelled down they didn't. Heck, they passed us through right away, didn't ask to see any of the guns or even the paperwork. YMMV?
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General