:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old June 7th, 2010, 09:15   #1
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
CTV Coverage of Airsoft in Prince Albert

YouTube- CTV News - Airsoft in Shellbrooke, SK

Troy, fantastic work! Thats one of the most balanced news reports involving airsoft that I've seen to date. Your on camera demeanor and your very clear message comes through and I think this kinda of coverage is what we need.

Kudos!

Last edited by Scarecrow; June 7th, 2010 at 19:49..
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:36   #2
ex
Wanna buy some Nod's? #StolenValour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
YouTube- CTV News - Airsoft in Shellbrooke, SK

Troy, fantastic work! Thats one of the most balanced news reports involving airsoft that I've seen to date. Your on camera demeanor and your very clear message comes through and I think this kinda of coverage is what we need.

Kudos!

+1...Well done indeed.
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:44   #3
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Very well spoken.

Would love to get some feedback on how they edited it.
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:48   #4
Renegade)
A Total Bastard

Very well covered, the most important point I would have stressed after the Police officer spoke of their risk, outline our risk and responsibility in owning them as well. Only uncase it at the field or at home for repair/maintenance and their wont be a problem.
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:57   #5
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Anyone else here think we need a thread that's stickied that has a basic list of speaking points that anyone in the community could use if they have an opportunity to get in front of a camera?

We were issued a card for the Forces and it's really well put together. It covers how to handle media types as well. How to take control of an interview etc.

I think making something like that available to the community here might be worthwhile.
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:12   #6
Rugger_can

Troy did a great job because he was clearly lucid and quick enough on his feet to keep his wits about him. Do you honestly believe that just because we post a list of "talking points" anyone upto and including the guy that wrote said talking points will remember them or if by miracle of chance they actually kept the card on them they would remember to use it it could prove useful so it's really a 50/50 kinda thing.

What would serve this sport infinitely more then a list of what to say would be a group of individuals already involved in the sport that are well versed at public speaking and are willing to represent the community in the capacity of media relations. However having thus said this, this is an extremely tall order and can easily backfire.

Cheers.
Rugger_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:14   #7
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants

Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
Great piece, shows a greater focus on the legit use of ASG's.
Blackthorne I think the ASC community could definatly use a reference card for chatting with the media or the Airsoft PooPooers.
But keep telling Paintballers that Airsoft Hurts more.
Cheers
Armyissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:29   #8
Crunchmeister

Rarely is there ever any media coverage of airsoft in Canada that isn't lopsided and edited to shit. No matter how great their initial intentions of the resporting is, their ultimate purpose is usually to instill fear into the hearts and minds of the ignorant masses as if airsoft guns are a an evil, scourge that will bring an end to civilized society as we know it.

I don't think the piece as a whole was spectacular, but it was good. To someone ignorant of airsoft, it may raise more questions than it answered. But I will give it full credit in the sense that it was well balanced and showed both sides of the equation without bias. I commend the reporter and / or editor for not applying the typical fear mongering attitudes and editing the clips to make us sound like some crazy militant gun nuts or budding criminals-in-training. The lack of bias is what any reporter should aim for - report the facts from all sides of the argument without injecting personal ideologies. Kudos to CTV for that.
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:40   #9
CARL

That went surprisingly well, with all things considered.
CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:34   #10
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger_can View Post
Do you honestly believe that just because we post a list of "talking points" anyone up to and including the guy that wrote said talking points will remember them or if by miracle of chance they actually kept the card on them they would remember to use it it could prove useful so it's really a 50/50 kinda thing.
Yes I honestly believe it or I wouldn't have posted it. Not everyone on this board are complete idiots. Even if folks had a chance to read it only once, some of it might stick, and be useful when cornered by a media weasel.

Quote:
What would serve this sport infinitely more then a list of what to say would be a group of individuals already involved in the sport that are well versed at public speaking and are willing to represent the community in the capacity of media relations. However having thus said this, this is an extremely tall order and can easily backfire.
Been tried, and as has happened on many occasions, the community proved it couldn't organize itself out of a wet paper bag.

A post is free, has good exposure, and can happen right now. Organizing figureheads could take months, has no owner or driver, and might very well need funding.

I see what you are aiming for but I think my idea is simpler

Last edited by Blackthorne; June 7th, 2010 at 11:36..
Blackthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:44   #11
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants

Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
Quote:
Troy did a great job because he was clearly lucid and quick enough on his feet to keep his wits about him. Do you honestly believe that just because we post a list of "talking points" anyone upto and including the guy that wrote said talking points will remember them or if by miracle of chance they actually kept the card on them they would remember to use it it could prove useful so it's really a 50/50 kinda thing.

Cheers.
Dude, we the community are not the ones that chose who and when to talk to the media. A reference card crap shoot that it is, would be better. As a direct to media reference, and as a reference to the players on how to present AS to inquiring minds. Also some things that a player would think cool or funny to say and not realize how the edit would make it look. We need some cunning linguists to draft this
Armyissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 16:17   #12
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
"Prince Albert", not "Prince Alberta". Hehe. (Some people might think it's from Alberta or something)

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 19:49   #13
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
"Prince Albert", not "Prince Alberta". Hehe. (Some people might think it's from Alberta or something)
Yes, I am a retard. Thanks, fixed.
Old June 7th, 2010, 22:12   #14
Brayden
¡¡¡ɹǝʞɐǝɹq oqɯoɔ-ɔ-ɔ-ɔ

I'm happy some people can see our sport. Might have some people interested someone should plug ASC
Old June 8th, 2010, 00:12   #15
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

Well done man!

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion