Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Noob Questions please show mercy

:

Accessories Discussion

Old May 31st, 2013, 05:44   #1
onetwopunch

Question Noob Questions please show mercy

Does loading and storaging bb's in midcap magazines effect the spring or performance of the mag? for example if i wanted to load my midcap mags 5 days before the airsoft game will it affect my mags in any way? Especially if i were to do this on a regularity
onetwopunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:53   #2
badrelko

Mid caps like real bullet magazines use a spring to push out the bbs. As you load them it compresses the spring more and more once full the spring is nearly completely compressed. Keeping a spring compressed for long periods of time regularly will eventually affect the feeding as the spring loses its strength

So yes it will affect your magazines if you keep them loaded regularly for long periods of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnaroth View Post
Go all or nothing! Show up in a plaid shirt with red and green suspenders, and a big beard. Duct-tape all over your gun!

Then when people try making fun of you, just yell at them for being dumb 'muricans (even though they probably aren't).

badrelko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:05   #3
Deadpool

From my personal experience, no.

The compression of 5 days is minimal. I have been running the same mags for 4 year, I don't unload them at every game and never suffered from misfeeds due to a mag.

Heck! I even have some AUG mags that have been store with BBs in the for 3 years and still feed like the first day that I got them.

Vérificateur d'age Mauricie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
So you're saying we cannot engage in a hobby once we are older?

Children these days.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:21   #4
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Springs dont wear out nearly as fast from constant compression as they do from use.

I store my mags for months loaded and it has no impact.

For our application you wont see much loss of power over the life of a mag by leaving them loaded. Plus its good form to show up to events with your mags loaded and ready to go!
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:26   #5
Deadpool

^^This!!!

Especially the last part!

Vérificateur d'age Mauricie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
So you're saying we cannot engage in a hobby once we are older?

Children these days.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:38   #6
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I've seen this actually affect mags before, so it IS possible to weaken a spring by leaving mags loaded. BUT I'm fairly certain you need to overfill the mag for that to happen.
An AEG spring doesn't lose power from being compressed for 7 months, so neither should a mag spring.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:59   #7
Grudge
multitech

Metal fatigue happens when metal is torqued and untorqued. (Loading and emptying)

I have had mags loaded for over a year with no issues. But make sure you rotate use of your mags. If you have two or three that you are using all the time they will wear out faster than your others. I've taken to numbering my mags so that I can run them through a full rotation of use.
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:24   #8
z0ng

Usually only takes a couple seconds to unload your mags after a game. Keep the BB bag you used to load them with your kit and you can just unload them right into a bag for use later. This helps save BB's if you run different weights in different guns, you won't end up tossing a full mags worth because you forgot what weight of BB was in there.

Team GHOSTS G-42
How to fix your WE M4 Mags
z0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:51   #9
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

just store them in a cool dry place and they should be fine... I have a tray of loose BBs on my desk that's exposed to the elements and they're very obviously discolored and off white, some of them that got wet are even no longer spherical, so as long as they're dry and away from a heat source they'll probably be fine.
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:00   #10
Trev140_0

I use Elite Force Bios at our field and when guys are done they simply shoot it into a plastic bag, and then poor the bag back in the bottle and seal the bottle.

The bottle seals it up nice---air tight.

But, you can store your mags loaded for a few days.

Also remember do not over load your mags.

"....Your life is ending one minute at a time..."

Trev140_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:21   #11
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

I think itll also depend on quality. I have a bunch of m4 mags with dead springs after leavin em loaded over the winter. They wer bought as MAG brand mags but im sure they are the clones that are floating around. Loadin em a few days in advance wont cause issues but id advise against extended periods of leavin em full.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:42   #12
PrIeSt
takagari

Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
Showing up to a game loaded, preferebly mags already IN YOUR VEST is a big one.

Something about the airsoft community. At least in the province, when a host states " Game starts at 11am sharp"
This clearly means you should show up at 10:50am with no gear on and mag's empty. because obviously it only takes 10 minutes.

Damage is nothing you will notice, So pre load please
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:55   #13
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

The problem i have with pre loading is this.
If you went hunting would you pre load your mags (if aplicable) or even worse pre load you guns? No. Why? Two reasons. One is im prety sure it is illegal to transport a loaded gun. I think it is okay to transport loaded mags so long as the gun and mags are locked up seperately. Heck i think its even illegal to store ammo and guns in the same safe unless they are locked seperately.
For airsoft say you get pulled over. Its one thing to be loaded up with guns mags and bbs. But to have pre loaded mags could show intent to use said guns befor even reaching the field. A replica they are not but they are considered a type of firearm (uncontroled firearm) and should/could be subject to the same laws and regulations surrounding other guns. To save potential hassels show up 45min or an hour early and load at the field if your able to. Otherwise mind your p's and q's while driving to the field to avoid bein pulled over and potentially searched. Just my penny and a half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:56   #14
Magnaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrIeSt View Post
Showing up to a game loaded, preferebly mags already IN YOUR VEST is a big one.

Something about the airsoft community. At least in the province, when a host states " Game starts at 11am sharp"
This clearly means you should show up at 10:50am with no gear on and mag's empty. because obviously it only takes 10 minutes.

Damage is nothing you will notice, So pre load please
We lovingly refer to this phenomenon as "Airsoft time".
Old June 2nd, 2013, 13:56   #15
Trapper1

Methinks comparing airsoft guns to a real firearm and the laws pertaining to transportation of said firearms and ammunition is a can of worms best left sealed. An airsoft gun Is at best a toy, let's leave it at that.
Trapper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion