Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Getting the hardware ..... finally

:

Newbie Tank

Old July 20th, 2012, 23:24   #1
shinigami

Send a message via ICQ to shinigami Send a message via MSN to shinigami Send a message via Skype™ to shinigami
Talking Getting the hardware ..... finally

Hi all,

I just want to update the status of getting hardware. I picked up a P90 for my husband for his birthday and so far he loves it. On Tuesday I'm picking up a G36C for myself. I'm really excited about being able to come out and game.

We still have to get gear, like face masks and we want to stop by a Army Surplus store for clothing and boots.

Am I missing anything?

I'm also wondering (and I might have missed it on the form) but when is there a newbie day or event coming up in Toronto?

Thanks for any help.

Shinigami
shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 00:16   #2
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

every game is a newbie friendly game if you're willing to throw caution to the wind :P

Just a couple things I'd like to mention since I own both guns you mentioned.

p90 gear is a bit strange, some mag pouches (condor) can fit very very tight but I really like the eski stuff from toronto airsoft, only problem is that it only comes in black. Slings for p90s can be a bit of an issue too, and you probably don't want to pay for the screen accurate stargate ones unless you're doing a costume. Also placement on the body is weird since they're so long. I have 4 mags on my leg, and if I really need them, 2 more stuffed inside my vest. I've seen a few people tall enough to wear the mags on a plate carrier on the chest, but I can't, since they restrict my ability to bend.

for g36s, pouches for the mags can be a bit of an issue. Since the mags have those knobs on them... what you could to is link 2 mags together and go shopping for pouches that fit the 2 together without catching or stretching too much. I fixed this issue by getting the uber expensive magpul pmags for g36... Saved me from having to buy new pouches since I can use my m14 pouches with these mags. So it sort of evened out.

The rest of the gear and color choice will be up to you. :P

If you're playing a lot of outdoors, I recommend water carriers/camelbaks. Indoor mainly? not so important unless they're super long games. You can stuff a bottle of gatorade/water in a condor large radio pouch at the very worst.

Full seal military goggles and mesh lower mask combo works well, there's not many full facemasks I would trust outside of the paintball realm, so stick with paintball solutions if you want a one piece, just make sure you keep ventilation in mind foggy goggles are just as dangerous as no eye pro.... tripping and falling down a set of stairs cause you can't see sucks balls.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 00:25   #3
redzaku

for p90 pouches, get UMP pouches, fits both type of magazines just fine
G36, you can get this:
http://www.checkpointcharliesurvival...ategory_id=258
saying that you don't mind buying from online.
what kind of style do you like? Chest rigs, plate carrier, or molle vest?
There are many manufactures, such as 5.11, Pantac, Flyye, etc
Just be warned on some vests, it could be made with 1000d condura, but the stitching might be horrible, be sure to look for reviews on it first.
За Родину!
BRRRRRT!

Last edited by redzaku; July 21st, 2012 at 00:28..
redzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 00:25   #4
ap27

First and foremost, make sure you don't cheap out on Eye protection and on Boots. Paintball masks are fine, but if you're looking for ballistic goggles, make sure you get good quality ones. Same with boots. Pick a pair that your feet are comfortable in and have plenty of ankle support. Outdoor games can have uneven terrain and ankle support will really help.

Usually G36 mags will fit in a double M4 pouch if you cut the elastic retaining band that sits on the outside of the pouch. It works well for me. They take two hands to insert but can be pulled out smoothly. If you have a dump pouch it makes it easier as you can toss the spent magazine in there and reload/reinsert when you have the time or are back at a spawn.

I just played my first game with a hydration pack on the back of my vest. It really simplifies things and i highly recommend it

ap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 10:52   #5
shinigami

Send a message via ICQ to shinigami Send a message via MSN to shinigami Send a message via Skype™ to shinigami
Thanks for all the feedback. That is a good point about the eye wear. Is there a good shop that you can recommend? My husband wants goggles and a face mesh that covers the ears as well. We saw that Airsoft Toronto has one, but he wants it in black. I think I'll want something similar.

I can't wait until I get my G36C on Tuesday .... feels like Christmas.

Shinigami

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:00   #6
BloodSport
Traveling Man

Your from toronto, stop by and see Jeroon at ArmyIssue in port credit, he has gear, vests, slings, goggles there. That and he owns a P90 so is familiar with what gear does and does not work with it. First hand knowledge always handy.

every time I've been in the area I make sure I stop there, for some reason my wallet likes him more then it likes me lol
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:04   #7
ap27

Try Huangs store (his info is in the retailer section) for other gear. He should have the mesh face protectors and pouches and such. For ballistic eyewear you can check the classifieds here, or hunting/tactical stores or eBay.

Which G36 did you get?

ap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:44   #8
BennyBoy

G36c aeg? Those mags should be cheap enough that it wouldn't be too bad just removing those tabs...unless you like them stacked

My gbbr mags are so heavy that i dont think the tabs would hold for long without snapping anyways will most likely remove them soon
BennyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 12:17   #9
kalnaren

I've run a G36 since I started playing. Best mag pouches I've found so far are Tactical Tailor double-M16 pouches. You can fit a G36 mag in them, diagonally (corner to corner), and remove it without anything catching. If you store the mags in the pouches they kindof take that shape and it's great. They're also tight enough to hold the mag in without any worry of it falling out. Since I redid my vest with those pouches my mag change time has tripled, and I can finally do it one handed every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBoy View Post
G36c aeg? Those mags should be cheap enough that it wouldn't be too bad just removing those tabs...unless you like them stacked
G36 mags aren't that cheap lol.

Well, midcaps are cheaper but they're really hit or miss as far as fitment and quality is concerned. And hicraps are cheap, but they suck ass.

Though Huang's $17 standard G36 mags are pretty decent for the $.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 17:22   #10
Affliction
a.k.a. Fury a.k.a. VipaMave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinigami View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. That is a good point about the eye wear. Is there a good shop that you can recommend? My husband wants goggles and a face mesh that covers the ears as well. We saw that Airsoft Toronto has one, but he wants it in black. I think I'll want something similar.

I can't wait until I get my G36C on Tuesday .... feels like Christmas.

Shinigami

http://www.brassguardequip.com/product-page.html

Brassguards have been popular choices for mouth/ear protection from what I've seen.

I personally just leave the grill (camo painted) attached to my paintball goggles and took off everything else. Paintball masks already come with full facial protection, why not take advantage of it? You can also get one with a flexible grill will also allow you to get a decent cheekweld to your stock.
Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 19:16   #11
shinigami

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap27 View Post
Which G36 did you get?
I'm getting the Ares G36C. I'm not sure I can wait until Tuesday .... lol

Shinigami

Old July 21st, 2012, 21:27   #12
Fuzzy

Save yourself the hassle with g36 mags and get the m4 mag adapter. This way you can use your pouches and mags for the m4 that you will eventually end up getting.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 21:50   #13
NANA
yte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Save yourself the hassle with g36 mags and get the m4 mag adapter. This way you can use your pouches and mags for the m4 that you will eventually end up getting.
+1 to that. The adapter is the way to go. M4 Mags are more common and fit in a vest better.

Nothing just happens, You always have to strive...
NANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:48   #14
BennyBoy

my g36 mags are 50-60 ducks a pop
BennyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:31   #15
shinigami

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBoy View Post
my g36 mags are 50-60 ducks a pop
I was at Air Soft Toronto, and I saw them in a box of parts for $5 each. The guy said the parts are "buy at own risk". If there was a way to test the mags it might be worth it. I also was thinking I need to get a bag to transport the gear (without people flipping out). The P90 is nice and small, but my G36C is a bit bigger. Any good advice? What works best for you?

Shinigami

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank