Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

G&G GR16 Carbine Light Review (No 56k)

:

Reviews

Old June 8th, 2009, 09:52   #46
TCLP

Finally another Update.

Well lots has happened to this bad boy since I last posted lets start with the upgrades.:

Internal:
-Systema 4/5 Port Cylinder
-Rear Wired

External:
-Guarder Delta ring
-Guarder KAC RAS
-G&P HK416 Stubby Stock and 9.6V 3300mah battery
-KA Delta Force 110mm Suppressor Foam Filled
-Paint Job mostly Khaki and OD from Krylon

To install the Delta ring required a bit of pre-assembly and dremeling to make it fit the gas tube in and through. This took a bit of time so be patient if you do this. Which was necessary to install the RAS since the barrel nuts had different diameters and the RAS required the Guarder Delta Ring.
To install the Stubby stock you have to cut the stock tube on the lower receiver to just 25mm. I recommend a good clamp or vice for this.(make sure you don't put to much pressure though or you will crack the body.)

Now this bad boy has seen a whopping 12,500rds (aprox.) without being cleaned. I have used this gun since I opened the box as is without cleaning. Now it has been in snow, light rain, sleet, slush, dirt, clay, rubble, gravel, and grass. And it hasn't even jammed.

The body tab on the lower that had cracked hasn't gotten worse. I will break the mechbox before I break the lower. This thing is a workhorse. Which means only one thing I have to get a metal body just so that way when the paint wears off it will have that nice shiny worn look to it.

This next section is part of a review Tys(M102404) wrote and I am using with permission. Thank you for this. It makes for a more informative read. All parts not related to the light version and externals have been opted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post

Internals

Wiring & Motor

17. Motor collar is plastic. Odd.

Inner Barrel/Hopup/Other
3. 1 piece grey plastic hopup. green dials that are quite stiff to move (nice). barrel clip does not index the inner barrel well....check alignment before putting it in the upper receiver.

23. Inner barrel is about 10 3/4" long...made of brass. Nice inner finish.

Mechbox
4. Mechbox is black painted inside and out...nothing special, wonder what's under the paint. Might be a bit heavier than a stock TM (might be the paint)...but it's certainly not "reinforced" anywhere.

5. 8mm bearings...tiny plastic shims cover the bearing races...don't loose those. Lots of shims...haven't checked how good the factory job was...tomorrow. (The light has 6mm bushings)

6. G&G stamped gears....nice. 5 notch bevel.

7. Bearing spring guide...plastic body on the spring guide. There's flashing on the plastic tip...no big deal, but reinforces where they're spending their money. (the light has a form of bearing spring guide but it is not a True bearing spring guide)

10. 2nd tooth on the piston (black plastic) was not molded. The piston head is ported and has "cyclone" style ports. Full tooth...all (except last tooth) plastic.

11. The cylinder is ported. The port is further forward than regular M4 ported cylinders...so don't mix 'em up. This port is 15.13mm long and starts 21.96mm from the rear of the cylinder. The ports of two of my other M4 cylinders are 14.96/15mm long and start 13.58/12.96mm from the rear.

12. The nozzle has an o-ring and does not seal well at all. Leaks considerably. (This is one of the most common problems it appears with these G&G guns.)

13. No compression at all out of the box. I'll have to check out the stock o-ring...not uncommon in a lot of guns. (If you can't or don't know what compression is don't attempt this.)

14. White nylon cylinder head...nothing fancy. Good air seal.

15. Good greasing.

16. Linear spring. Pretty stiff...I'll compare against some references tomorrow.

18. Mechbox screws are allen keys...nice. They're on the left side of the mechbox...WTF?!? is that a dirty trick or something? (I can't recall...but I think some of the clone mechboxes are like that as well).
I'll try to get the pics up in a couple of days.
TCLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 19:02   #47
Janus

Send a message via ICQ to Janus Send a message via MSN to Janus
I got a question. Kinda n00bish.

The G&G GR-16s can use TM M16 mags, right?
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 18:58   #48
TCLP

Yes they can. I just haven't had a chance to test them out.
Old June 24th, 2009, 03:41   #49
sortie39
Banned

nice!!why looks like a CQB version from its flasher??can u point out specificly which m4 this is on 007site?
btw,whats the M4 fullstock from??
thanks!
sortie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 16:40   #50
Dual M-60's

Do you know if your gun is the same as the Plastica G&G line? I just bought one and it looks identical to yours except mine is not a CQB version. I would like to upgrade it in the future and get a metal upper reciever if it is possible. I would also like a metal lower reciever but i doubt that will ever happen.
Dual M-60's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:21   #51
TCLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortie39 View Post
nice!!why looks like a CQB version from its flasher??can u point out specificly which m4 this is on 007site?
btw,whats the M4 fullstock from??
thanks!
The Version I bought was the Carbine Light Combo. It should be at the top of the page for the M4's.
This Is a CQB length gun.
The Full stock was just lying around. Its not on there any more I have a G&P HK416 stubby stock on there now. Its the same length if you take the telstock and push it in all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual M-60's View Post
Do you know if your gun is the same as the Plastica G&G line? I just bought one and it looks identical to yours except mine is not a CQB version. I would like to upgrade it in the future and get a metal upper reciever if it is possible. I would also like a metal lower reciever but i doubt that will ever happen.

All of the G&G guns that contain Light in there name are from the Plastica line up.
And if you get Age Verified Metal bodies(uppers and Lowers) pop up every once and a while.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:54   #52
Skat0r

Are the glasses reliable and good??
Skat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 14:15   #53
Huron
GabeGuitarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skat0r View Post
Are the glasses reliable and good??
Funny you asked, haha. I can vouch for them. Tested them at point blank with 430 FPS and 0.2g bb's. No cracking, no dent, no permanent marks. I think there was a smudge from the bb but that's because they were some shoddy biodegradable ones.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 21:21   #54
Skat0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeGuitarded View Post
Funny you asked, haha. I can vouch for them. Tested them at point blank with 430 FPS and 0.2g bb's. No cracking, no dent, no permanent marks. I think there was a smudge from the bb but that's because they were some shoddy biodegradable ones.
haha thx, i bought the gun just for the glasses
Skat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 19:11   #55
highny

Wow, awesome review, just what I needed to convince myself to buy this gun! Just with I could try it out first before, but I hope it'll do good.

I got a few questions and hope you could answer or give me advice and such.

Since this is quite the cheap gun that comes with so many starter stuff, I was just wondering how I could make this gun unique, I want it to be one of a kind and not just anyone's gun, you get what I mean?

I also love the fact you use games workshop's paint, which army do you play? I play Tyranids .
highny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 18:47   #56
TCLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by highny View Post
Since this is quite the cheap gun that comes with so many starter stuff, I was just wondering how I could make this gun unique, I want it to be one of a kind and not just anyone's gun, you get what I mean?

I also love the fact you use games workshop's paint, which army do you play? I play Tyranids .
I play Tau. Anyways.... The best way to make the gun unique is to find out what you want on the gun? Do you need rails?, if so there are hundreds of different rail sets and in differnt lengths. Do you need flash light? Surefire, Fenix, Wolf Eyes, and then do you have it with an intergrated handle or a quick detach? What type of optics do you want? RDS, Holo sight, Iron sights, there are endless combonations. Battery storage really changes the apperence. Since if you add a new stock you can now store the battey there or still in the fore grip or in a PEQ unit.

Look in the Media thread and look for the this is an M4/M16 thread it will give you some good ideas to start.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:27   #57
TCLP

Ok well A couple weeks back I was out at a very hilly field, and the gun performed outstanding. But it was once it got home that the problem appeared.
The other tab on the lower reciever had cracked. After a full season of play and 13000 rds on a plastic lower that was cracked since just after I received it.

So being AGE CERTIFIED I went to HUANG to pick up a metal body. For $180shipped the body got to me in 3 days after payment sent. His service was fast and precise. If I need another metal body I'll be going back to you for my AK.

Now I got the DBoys MB w/ Colt engraved trades, the trades are good except that that they say Colti otherwise they are spot on. The Depth they are engraved seems a bit shallow, but they still look nice. The kit also includes an assembled upper receiver, and the lower already has the selector switch attached. Now For the most part it was drag and drop procedure. The exception being the Selector switch and Mag release. The selector had a warped plate that goes to the gearbox selector plate. And the mag release was warped. But I just used the old ones. Mags fit in fairly tight, but the mag well doesn't need to be sanded. With how easy it was to upgrade this thing I'd do it again gladly.

I'll post some pics once it gets its paint job.
Old February 17th, 2010, 18:19   #58
chrisl04

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
for those who are a little confused about the g&g sold by 007 vs. The g&g at cas, they are very different animals. The g&g m-series at cas does not have a functional dust cover (you must pry it open with your fingernails to access the hop-up), the majority of parts that should be metal are plastic (hop-up is a grey plastic for example), which looked to me like the charging handle, takedown and pivot pins, front sight and ras. It was tought to tell 100% on some items, but teardown or a scratch test would confirm this. The cas also did not have the faux bolt carrier like the above shown 007 version.

Internally they may be identical, but if they cheaped on visible furniture, odds are they did internally where you don't see it.
is it a big difference????????????
chrisl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:49   #59
TCLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl04 View Post
is it a big difference????????????
They are now one and the same all G&G cansoft hybrids come through CAS but the CAS ones have been upgraded and are the higher end ones now. The different models still have there own quirks though.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews