Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Can FPS be lowered with a weaker battery?

:

Newbie Tank

Closed Thread

Old May 13th, 2010, 11:21   #16
The Saint

Warm weather making AEGs shoot slightly hotter? Sure, when compared to freezing weather.

Temperature will affect FPS on an AEG, but it has nothing to do with warm weather. Cold weather (read: freezing) will lead to FPS decrease, from the rubber components (especially the hopup sleeve) becoming rigid and degrading the air seal.

But there should be no difference between warm weather and hot weather. This is the first time I've heard anyone suggest otherwise.
Old May 13th, 2010, 16:05   #17
Amos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percuvius View Post
According to Mach 1 temperature will affect my gun. They told me my gun was shooting 406fps in 13C and would shoot a littleharder in warmer weather. I'm not interested in a weaker spring so if it shoots too hard I'll just find a group with a more manly FPS limit.
... Some of the shit I've heard Mach1 saying recently has been pretty ridiculous...

At most... you would see a difference in the +/- FPS consistency... in cold weather because the cylinder grease gets more viscous... but no.. an AEG will remain within the same FPS range in all realistic weather conditions.
G3SD6
Old May 13th, 2010, 16:13   #18
DanoftheDead

if your gun is shooting a little higher FPS than you want, just use it a little, the more you shoot it the more the spring will compress intern lowering the FPS with use. It won't be by a huge amount but it would likely be enough to bring you just under 400 if you are shooting at 406fps consistently. I've heard of after a season or so an AEG dropping by almost 25 fps in some cases.
Old May 13th, 2010, 22:50   #19
Percuvius

Well that's good, looks like I won't have to worry about shooting too hard. Should be in perfect range for field limits.
Old May 14th, 2010, 18:22   #20
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

a page and a half of the exact same answer, good job reading guys
Old May 14th, 2010, 18:41   #21
GBear

Send a message via MSN to GBear
Lol, think about it logically. How would a weaker battery affect the BB propulsion from the exact same force produced by the spring and piston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayce View Post
I wish I could upload a few gameplay videos of me on Alliance of Valiant Arms for you guys to compare to.

I am not familiar with airsoft.

What my question is, does the element of surprise work on a typical airsoft match?
Old May 14th, 2010, 22:22   #22
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
a page and a half of the exact same answer, good job reading guys
And sometimes even THAT is not enough to drive the point home for some people. I guess its our way of memorization though repetition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Old May 14th, 2010, 23:40   #23
Percuvius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBear View Post
Lol, think about it logically. How would a weaker battery affect the BB propulsion from the exact same force produced by the spring and piston?
Because "logically" thinking one wouldn't assume that a weaker battery would fully retract the spring without having ever previously owned or used a gearbox before, LOL. And now that I own one I will get to the point where I will be able to strip it down and fix or repair like I do with everything else I own.

Maybe you missed the newbie tank heading?
Old May 14th, 2010, 23:55   #24
juicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw View Post
And sometimes even THAT is not enough to drive the point home for some people. I guess its our way of memorization though repetition.
But, but, but... rote memorization is not the way to properly learn things!!! Hahahahaha

Oh Educational Psych, how I miss you.
Old May 15th, 2010, 19:05   #25
ThunderCactus

Well think about it this way, a noob with no idea of the internal workings of an AEG could think ANYTHING is possible. For all he knows it works on the same principle as a piston in a car engine, therefore slower ROF would = less FPS
But that doesn't mean you need 15 people to give him the same response lol
Old May 15th, 2010, 19:22   #26
Bissa

Send a message via MSN to Bissa
before you read this know that I have high school physics so I could just be babbling stuff off that means nothing, but this is something that came to mind.
on the note of temperature changing the velocity. when it is warmer, the molecules in the air are going slightly faster and so when they are compressed by the spring, they may not exert quite as much force on the BB as they would in cold weather. however you would have to be going into the fourth or fifth decimal place in order to actually see an effect from this case.
Sergeant Gerry Boyle: I don't want to see it. Babies all look the same. The only time a baby doesn't look like every other baby is when it's a really ugly baby. So, unless it's a photo of a really ugly baby, I don't want to see it.
Old May 16th, 2010, 00:35   #27
GBear

Send a message via MSN to GBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bissa View Post
before you read this know that I have high school physics so I could just be babbling stuff off that means nothing, but this is something that came to mind.
on the note of temperature changing the velocity. when it is warmer, the molecules in the air are going slightly faster and so when they are compressed by the spring, they may not exert quite as much force on the BB as they would in cold weather. however you would have to be going into the fourth or fifth decimal place in order to actually see an effect from this case.
I don't think temperature affects AEGs much. Probably in much much warmer temperatures, it is a little harder to compress the air, but again, it shouldn't really matter. This would affect gas guns much greater though. As you said, warmer temperatures will excite gas molecules, increasing the pressure of the gas being used to propel the BBs. Lower temperatures, vice versa.

And thinking about this logically, using basic knowledge of circuits and mechanical theory, no, it won't fail to fully retract the spring. I am new to airsoft too but most of it is pretty intuitive, especially when you have some common sense and read through the FAQs extensively.

Again, using the engine example. From my newbie standpoint, the inner works of the gear box resemble the cylinder within an engine. You have the piston, the fuel injectors, etc. Also, define "weaker." Weaker has in lower capacity or lower voltage? Or lower discharge rates? Your question is vague.

Beginning with lower capacity. It is like having less fuel in your engine. It won't affect it much but will not continue to run as long as having more fuel, or a higher capacity battery.

Lower voltage? This is equivalent to your fuel being injected into the cylinder chamber more slowly. Yes, you will have lower RPM, meaning you will have a lower rate of fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayce View Post
I wish I could upload a few gameplay videos of me on Alliance of Valiant Arms for you guys to compare to.

I am not familiar with airsoft.

What my question is, does the element of surprise work on a typical airsoft match?
Old May 16th, 2010, 07:37   #28
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
One thing to note as well, if the temperature is lower, the spring if not used for a while (like if your at a game and you camp out the night before) the spring can be stiffer and you might shooter hotter than expected. At BWII there was someone (I think it was Kohaku) who chronied his gun the night before and found he was shooting aprox. 20 FPS higher than what he was expecting and this made his gun shoot too hot for the game, ShaDo who was on hand said that because of the colder temp. the spring was stiffer than normal and provided allot more "spring" than normal, and had to chop a couple coils from the dudes spring as there was no spare spring on hand for a spring change. I can see why this happens, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Old May 17th, 2010, 19:32   #29
ThunderCactus

FYI temperature affects GBB's and GBBR's WAY more than it would ever affect an AEG.
From -5 to 30 degrees the only noticeable difference is in your battery life!
However, as I've learned myself, the minimum temperature you can oeprate most AEG's safely is -8 degrees. Any lower and your hopup gets too hard and tends to jam your first shot. This can lead to stripped piston!
Old May 28th, 2010, 00:03   #30
Percuvius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBear View Post
I don't think temperature affects AEGs much. Probably in much much warmer temperatures, it is a little harder to compress the air, but again, it shouldn't really matter. This would affect gas guns much greater though. As you said, warmer temperatures will excite gas molecules, increasing the pressure of the gas being used to propel the BBs. Lower temperatures, vice versa.

And thinking about this logically, using basic knowledge of circuits and mechanical theory, no, it won't fail to fully retract the spring. I am new to airsoft too but most of it is pretty intuitive, especially when you have some common sense and read through the FAQs extensively.

Again, using the engine example. From my newbie standpoint, the inner works of the gear box resemble the cylinder within an engine. You have the piston, the fuel injectors, etc. Also, define "weaker." Weaker has in lower capacity or lower voltage? Or lower discharge rates? Your question is vague.

Beginning with lower capacity. It is like having less fuel in your engine. It won't affect it much but will not continue to run as long as having more fuel, or a higher capacity battery.

Lower voltage? This is equivalent to your fuel being injected into the cylinder chamber more slowly. Yes, you will have lower RPM, meaning you will have a lower rate of fire.

Yeah, it affects the ability to retract the spring. When the battery is really weak you just get a tiny pop sound because there is not enough juice left in the battery. And "common sense" is found in the loadout video I made where you can plainly hear the spring isn't fully retracting because the battery is so weak.
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank