Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

VFC (UMAREX) MP5 GBBR Owners Thread

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old January 31st, 2016, 21:20   #421
EuroTrash

Alright I figure this is probably the best place on this website to ask this question.

I've been humming and hawing about what I want to purchase for my main weapon for almost a year now.

One of my major gun lusts in an MP5, although I don't have to explain why to you guys. The VFC MP5A3 looks ideal, the major draw for me being the C02 mags. I love having the option to use C02 and from what I've gathered these things seem to run a little sluggish on Green/Propane/Top gas.

However I see nothing but condemnation for these guns online, people seem to recommend going with the WE Apache. I understand that the first two generations of these guns were a little spotty in terms of quality.

If I was to buy a VFC MP5A3 brand new in 2016 how will it fare out of the box compared to the earlier generations? Do the new generations need a ton of upgrades out of the box?

Why is the WE Apache so heavily preferred by many online communities? Not really having a C02 mag option sidelines the gun for me.

Last edited by EuroTrash; January 31st, 2016 at 21:22..
EuroTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 14:14   #422
Magwell

Hey gents,

Last night I was playing at our local indoor field, probably about four solid hours of play before my MP5 went down. It would fire only the first shot after inserting a magazine and releasing the charging handle (incredibly frustrating after thinking you shot that one guy, only go give away your position and get pelted! haha). Everything cycled just fine, but no rounds came out. After further inspection, my bolt head has broken in half.

Has anyone else had this happen before? I'm baffled how this could even happen because I believe the impact of the bolt carrier is on the rear end of the charging handle? Anyway, I wanted to flag this for you guys as something to watch out for and see what upgrade parts would be recommended to replace the bolt head - Looks like there are the TSC and Azimuth brand steel replacements. Azimuth looks to be higher quality - can anyone confirm?

Last edited by Magwell; February 7th, 2016 at 14:31..
Magwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 03:14   #423
Magwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrash View Post
Alright I figure this is probably the best place on this website to ask this question.

I've been humming and hawing about what I want to purchase for my main weapon for almost a year now.

One of my major gun lusts in an MP5, although I don't have to explain why to you guys. The VFC MP5A3 looks ideal, the major draw for me being the C02 mags. I love having the option to use C02 and from what I've gathered these things seem to run a little sluggish on Green/Propane/Top gas.

However I see nothing but condemnation for these guns online, people seem to recommend going with the WE Apache. I understand that the first two generations of these guns were a little spotty in terms of quality.

If I was to buy a VFC MP5A3 brand new in 2016 how will it fare out of the box compared to the earlier generations? Do the new generations need a ton of upgrades out of the box?

Why is the WE Apache so heavily preferred by many online communities? Not really having a C02 mag option sidelines the gun for me.
I have no experience with the Apache, but I'm very happy with my VFC MP5. I have a V2, and I've put a few upgrade parts into it which have made the gun just that much better. No where near what some of the guys here have done but I digress...

Out of the box mine worked fine, a few nuances which the upgrades fixed, like wobbly mags.

My bolt head recently broke, but that's the only failure this gun has had in about 1.5 years of owning it. This weekend my sling by fluke somehow released dropping the gun onto concrete... The guns are solid, I just had to brush off some dust. The first batch of guns were lemons from what I've read but the V3's (what you'll likely get new) have a bunch of the problems corrected. There's a few parts you'll want to buy for longevity of the gbb but that's really it. Go for it, they are a blast to shoot.

Last edited by Magwell; February 8th, 2016 at 03:17..
Old February 8th, 2016, 07:54   #424
N_Force

Based on the two pics shows, seems causing by the loosen screw that holding the bolt head.

How many rounds you put through it on that game day? When was your last service it? You know gbb needs to be maintained, especially for those screwed parts after heavily shootimg, need to thead lock them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwell View Post
Hey gents,

Last night I was playing at our local indoor field, probably about four solid hours of play before my MP5 went down. It would fire only the first shot after inserting a magazine and releasing the charging handle (incredibly frustrating after thinking you shot that one guy, only go give away your position and get pelted! haha). Everything cycled just fine, but no rounds came out. After further inspection, my bolt head has broken in half.

Has anyone else had this happen before? I'm baffled how this could even happen because I believe the impact of the bolt carrier is on the rear end of the charging handle? Anyway, I wanted to flag this for you guys as something to watch out for and see what upgrade parts would be recommended to replace the bolt head - Looks like there are the TSC and Azimuth brand steel replacements. Azimuth looks to be higher quality - can anyone confirm?

N_Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 00:50   #425
Magwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Force View Post
Based on the two pics shows, seems causing by the loosen screw that holding the bolt head.

How many rounds you put through it on that game day? When was your last service it? You know gbb needs to be maintained, especially for those screwed parts after heavily shootimg, need to thead lock them.
Thanks for the reply.

Last service was January 3, hadn't been used since then. During the service I did notice that the retaining screw had loosened up allowing the bolt head to pivot. Lock tight + tightening the screw fixed this, but it had no visible signs of wear at the time - perhaps the damage was already done. I do a general cleaning & service after each usage, before taking it out to shoot again.

Rounds through it on game day... about 650. This was the most I had used the GBB in one day. Total rounds though it, about 3000.

After posting I fully disassembled and cleaned everything. I think your diagnosis is correct as the bolt carrier has been chewed up a bit where the bolt head locks into it, nothing major just abnormal wear/paint missing where the bolt head is seated. To clarify, this is the stock VFC Bolt Head, not a replacement steel one.

Last edited by Magwell; February 9th, 2016 at 01:06..
Old February 9th, 2016, 01:08   #426
N_Force

This Vfc is kicking pretty hard that I like. But also it's a problem if you don't take care it right. I always check around all moving parts see any loose parts or excessive wear. Ive found this screw for bolt head is a problem one and I reinforced it even shim it to make sure it locK tight and not pivot. This is very important. If you need mor e infos about how I did, lmK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwell View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Last service was January 3, hadn't been used since then. During the service I did notice that the retaining screw had loosened up allowing the bolt head to pivot. Lock tight + tightening the screw fixed this, but it had no visible signs of wear at the time - perhaps the damage was already done. I do a general cleaning & service after each usage, and before taking it out to shoot again.

Rounds through it on game day... about 650. This was the most I had used the GBB in one day. Total rounds though it, about 3000.

After posting I fully disassembled and cleaned everything. I think your diagnosis is correct as the bolt carrier has been chewed up a bit where the bolt head locks into it, nothing major just abnormal wear/paint missing where the bolt head is seated.

Old February 27th, 2016, 14:11   #427
adeng

My HKs

adeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 16:17   #428
adeng

hello guys, just want to ask where to buy upgrade parts locally or reliable online shop? please shoot me a pm.

thanks
Old August 27th, 2016, 04:36   #429
NAAZ
One of those username tags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeng View Post
hello guys, just want to ask where to buy upgrade parts locally or reliable online shop? please shoot me a pm.

thanks
would like to know this as well. I really like the VFC MP5s for their authentic trades, but I'd prefer to have sturdy and lasting internals too. anyone know which parts are good for upgrade for VFC?
NAAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 10:08   #430
Sequential

the stock bolt carrier is the best bolt carrier.
Old September 27th, 2016, 18:10   #431
adeng

Anyone knows where to get this locally? I have no luck finding them online most shops are out of stock.

Old September 28th, 2016, 12:08   #432
N_Force

Forget about it, if wouldn't hold too long and malfunction, unless you modify it. I had it posted somewhere in this thread.

Quote:
Anyone knows where to get this locally? I have no luck finding them online most shops are out of stock.

Last edited by N_Force; September 28th, 2016 at 12:10..
Old September 28th, 2016, 16:20   #433
Sequential

Quote:

this one sucks, don't bother with it, they break just as easy.
Old September 28th, 2016, 17:13   #434
N_Force

Quote:

Old October 3rd, 2016, 13:31   #435
adeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Force View Post

that is actually my plan.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion