Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Help in starting airsoft

:

Newbie Tank

Old June 26th, 2012, 23:23   #1
Swag

Help in starting airsoft

I'm from the States and I've lived there all my life until a few months ago. I first tried Airsoft back at home. This was in the Jericho Airsoft field and I just absolutely fell in love with it. I wanted to invest in it, but understanding that I was going to move to Canada soon, I went on to read about the laws in Canada concerning airsoft. I learned that I cannot import guns to Canada and if I buy it in the States, it's just going to be a complete waste. Now that I'm here, I have a few questions before I jump in and buy things.

First things first, in the states, we had kids playing from age 8 and it wasn't a surprise. Here, I believe the age should be 16, and yes, I am 16 years old. My first question is, If I have permission from my guardian, will I be able to participate in sims/games?
Second is a question that many people ask, but I need assurance, which online store has the best CS, prices, and overall performance.
The last question is more like preference, and I don't mind if it hurts, would you mind a 16 year old boy participating in your fields? And sadly, I'm short. I wish I was taller, but genes...
Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 23:45   #2
ap27

Unfortunately the actual limit is 18 to get access to Used and new guns on this site. Please read the Age Verification FAQ.
There are some places that allow underaged players ONLY IF their parent/guardian is also playing.
We won't be able to give you Retailer information for guns until you are Age Verified.

ap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 23:55   #3
Swag

Actually, my dad also plays and he only goes when I go because he finds it boring when he goes alone. He wants me to confirm I can play before he buys some airsoft guns from Canadian Online Retailers. We were planning to try out JOC because it is the closest from where we live. I read that JOC allows 16 years old with the written consent of a parent/guardian. I guess that answers a part of my question. I've been reading around this forum and it seems that many people don't like when 16 year olds participate in sims. Is this the majority? I wouldn't want to spoil people's fun if I go.
Old June 27th, 2012, 00:11   #4
BennyBoy

Should get your dad to make an account and get verified first
BennyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 00:16   #5
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swag View Post
Actually, my dad also plays and he only goes when I go because he finds it boring when he goes alone. He wants me to confirm I can play before he buys some airsoft guns from Canadian Online Retailers. We were planning to try out JOC because it is the closest from where we live. I read that JOC allows 16 years old with the written consent of a parent/guardian. I guess that answers a part of my question. I've been reading around this forum and it seems that many people don't like when 16 year olds participate in sims. Is this the majority? I wouldn't want to spoil people's fun if I go.
It's not the "age 16" that people don't like seeing on the fields, it's the immaturity that typically comes with that age that they don't wish to deal with. If you don't display the immaturity, then you likely won't encounter issues if the field you plan on playing at, allows you. Adults can be immature also, but they are of the age of responsibility, and will get banned if they display irresponsibility/immaturity.. and that is what the whole issue of under 18 not being permitted, or under 18 permitted only with parental consent/supervision comes from. If the field that you are going to is under 18 friendly, and your father plays along side of you, and there is no honor/immaturity issues, then i really don't think that there is going to be an issue for you to play, as far as "ruining fun for others" goes.
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 00:23   #6
Swag

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBoy View Post
Should get your dad to make an account and get verified first
He already has an account and he's planning to make the meeting soon if we decide to go forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackD View Post
It's not the "age 16" that people don't like seeing on the fields, it's the immaturity that typically comes with that age that they don't wish to deal with. If you don't display the immaturity, then you likely won't encounter issues if the field you plan on playing at, allows you. Adults can be immature also, but they are of the age of responsibility, and will get banned if they display irresponsibility/immaturity.. and that is what the whole issue of under 18 not being permitted, or under 18 permitted only with parental consent/supervision comes from. If the field that you are going to is under 18 friendly, and your father plays along side of you, and there is no honor/immaturity issues, then i really don't think that there is going to be an issue for you to play, as far as "ruining fun for others" goes.
I see, I thought it was more of a different issue. I just don't want to be frowned upon and ruin it for the others. I have met a few people that went crazy on copying COD and the other games, I never really understood it. Anyways, thanks for explaining what people don't like in the age parameters.

Another question: I have tons of gear that I left in the States, they aren't guns or anything, just my BDU, vest, pouches, mags, slings, holster, and batteries. Any of these going to be confiscated if I get them shipped to me? I read the Canadian law thread numerous times, but I can't get a fix on whether all these items are allowed.
Old June 27th, 2012, 00:27   #7
HackD

Quote:
He already has an account and he's planning to make the meeting soon if we decide to go forward.

I see, I thought it was more of a different issue. I just don't want to be frowned upon and ruin it for the others. I have met a few people that went crazy on copying COD and the other games, I never really understood it. Anyways, thanks for explaining what people don't like in the age parameters.

Another question: I have tons of gear that I left in the States, they aren't guns or anything, just my BDU, vest, pouches, mags, slings, holster, and batteries. Any of these going to be confiscated if I get them shipped to me? I read the Canadian law thread numerous times, but I can't get a fix on whether all these items are allowed.
Gear is permitted. Even airsoft rifle (parts) are permitted, if they are missing the receiver assembly. Airsoft parts like M203 shells, M203 launchers, magazines with displayed fake bullets, and silencers/suppressors are also parts likely to get seized by CBSA. Stuff like Night Vision devices might get stopped at the border by the US side, due to restricted trade issues, but otherwise for airsoft gear, uniform, equipment and airsoft parts, it's "game on".
Old June 27th, 2012, 00:33   #8
Swag

Quote:
Gear is permitted. Even airsoft rifle (parts) are permitted, if they are missing the receiver assembly. Airsoft parts like M203 shells, M203 launchers, magazines with displayed fake bullets, and silencers/suppressors are also parts likely to get seized by CBSA. Stuff like Night Vision devices might get stopped at the border by the US side, due to restricted trade issues, but otherwise for airsoft gear, uniform, equipment and airsoft parts, it's "game on".
I have normal black magazines, they are allowed right? So all I need is someone to ship it to me and I'm good? I actually brought my night vision goggles that I got from a family friend who served in the military. I packed it in my gaming box and they turned away. I'm not sure if that's morally wrong, but just wanted to share.

Thanks for the really in-depth answers. I think we're going to go to step 2 now.
Old June 27th, 2012, 00:40   #9
HackD

Quote:
I have normal black magazines, they are allowed right? So all I need is someone to ship it to me and I'm good? I actually brought my night vision goggles that I got from a family friend who served in the military. I packed it in my gaming box and they turned away. I'm not sure if that's morally wrong, but just wanted to share.

Thanks for the really in-depth answers. I think we're going to go to step 2 now.
The night vision issue isn't a moral issue - it's a technology issue where the US government doesn't want to have certain technologies outside of official agency control in foreign countries, that they've granted access to that technology. In this case, they wouldn't want NVG to fall into the hands of a Canadian Terrorist, or be forwarded on to their economic/military rivals in another country via Canadian hands

Normal magazines that are obviously designed for airsoft-only use, are not going to be an issue. Those that display fake bullets fall under the grey area of "replica" classification here. We can get them here, but trying to get them over as private citizens is a huge risk if you'd like to avoid a border hassle/red flagging for future border interaction in the CBSA computer system.

Not sure how to ship personal property without a hassle (ie accused of trying to get purchases over the border, when they aren't in fact purchases) -- you might need to do some further research on that.

Last edited by HackD; June 27th, 2012 at 00:45..
Old June 27th, 2012, 00:42   #10
ap27

I highly recommend your dad get Age Verified here. There are retailers who can offer a much better selection and prices than the common 'Canadian Airsoft' stores you find online. Most retailers have a website too, but they're not the ones that'll usually pop up at the top of a google search.
If he plays alongside you, you should have no issue coming out to games. Besides, from an early impression you sound much more mature than the normal 16 year old kidiots. That's all the community really looks for.

ap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 00:44   #11
Swag

Quote:
The night vision issue isn't a moral issue - it's a technology issue where the US government doesn't want to have certain technologies outside of official agency control in foreign countries, that they've granted access to that technology to. In this case, they wouldn't want NVG to fall into the hands of a Canadian Terrorist, or be forwarded on to their economic/military rivals in another country via Canadian hands

Normal magazines that are obviously designed for airsoft-only use, are not going to be an issue. Those that display fake bullets fall under the grey area of "replica" classification here. We can get them here, but trying to get them over as private citizens is a huge risk if you'd like to avoid a border hassle/red flagging for future border interaction in the CBSA computer system.

Not sure how to ship personal property without a hassle -- you might need to do some further research on those.
I definitely will do the research, I have come to the reasoning after the few years I have lived that researching is your best friend in the starting of doing something thus I am asking all these "noob" questions. Definitely don't want that NVG going to any terrorist. Might be used in some illicit event and I might get pinned for it.
I'm looking up how I can cheaply send my things over, I was thinking using USPS since my dad's company still has a contract with them in international shipping! Lucky me.
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:33   #12
Juic3
freakonleash

For the 16 year old thing, i dont mind playing with a 16 y/o if i dont see he is. If your short meh i know 30 y/o short people. And like people say, get your dad to be AV , worth it.

Finally, have fun with your dad its a good father/son hobby
Old June 27th, 2012, 15:49   #13
Swag

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonleash View Post
For the 16 year old thing, i dont mind playing with a 16 y/o if i dont see he is. If your short meh i know 30 y/o short people. And like people say, get your dad to be AV , worth it.

Finally, have fun with your dad its a good father/son hobby
Hmm thanks, I'm like 5'4" that's why. Yea he enjoys it, it's a bit expensive though when I got started. The first time I went to play in the States, although it is cheaper there, I still had to save my lawnmowing money for 2 years.

A question that I have is, on average, how many people show up to games in your local Airsoft field? =
Old June 27th, 2012, 16:19   #14
Grizzly0679

Quote:
Hmm thanks, I'm like 5'4" that's why. Yea he enjoys it, it's a bit expensive though when I got started. The first time I went to play in the States, although it is cheaper there, I still had to save my lawnmowing money for 2 years.

A question that I have is, on average, how many people show up to games in your local Airsoft field? =
Depends. I was at a game couple Saturdays back that held about 50 players and last night's skirmish had about 20 or so. The turn out generally seems to be good.

If you're wondering if this is a cost-worthy sport then I'd say it is. Plenty of people play, and there's quite a few games going on. I'd rather more games, but it's a unique sport that cannot be played everywhere so as a city boy I have to accept what's out there. However, it's not much different than skiing or snowboarding. Unless you're living in Whistler or something, the average person is skiing maybe twice a week during winter on the weekends only. If you really wanted to, I'm sure you could average roughly the same throughout the year with airsoft.

My question to you is: wtf are you waiting for?
Here we are again bro -just you and me. Same kind of moon same kind of jungle. Real number 10 remember? Whole platoon, 32 men chopped into meat... We walk out just you and me, nobody else. Right on top huh? Not a scratch... Not a fuckin' scratch... - Sgt.Mac, Predator
Grizzly0679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 16:24   #15
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

sometimes it's not a question of the youngins playing, it could be a matter of the insurance provider only insuring 18+ people. Your local field would have the details, some fields allow young players, others do not. Others it may just be an issue with the old farts not wanting to play with the youngins.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank