Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Realistic Opinion on Plastic vs. Metal Receiver

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old April 27th, 2011, 23:11   #16
Specs

I have used a TM with a plastic body for a long time. It was my first AEG and the plastic body has been destroyed....Aside from snapping the whole thing in two, no more damage could be done to it that AEG is not receiving serious overhauling. Keep in mind that eventually you WILL have to replace it because the plastic bodies have a short lifetime. If you are running an M120 spring it will also have more stress on the gun and a metal body is almost essential. IMHO skip the plastic and spend a little more cash on the metal, you will also me a bit more inclined to throw your gun around a bit which is very nice. I have always felt that I have had to be a bit ginger with my TM.

Kingston airsoft, we do it better.
Specs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 23:19   #17
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specs View Post
If you are running an M120 spring it will also have more stress on the gun and a metal body is almost essential. .
Your mechbox internals will have no effect on your receiver, whether it be plastic or metal.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 23:25   #18
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
whether it be plastic or metal.
Or in my case apparently macaroni bits and lemur hair.

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 00:07   #19
Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven View Post
Or in my case apparently macaroni bits and lemur hair.
wtf

Kingston airsoft, we do it better.
Specs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 00:53   #20
ao_tenshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCriollo View Post
For the price of the M4 Max you can get something much better in the classifieds asuming that you are over 18. For instance you could get a CA or an ICS M4 for less than 500$ BNIB.
Take care.
yes, im way over 18, just need to get this av done, but seems like the rep in my area isnt responding to my pm just yet.

Anyways, how would everyone rate G&G M4 Max compared to other M4 in the sub-500 level? Just about all reviews ive read say its amazing and all. Actually, just about all reviews ive read for popular brand M4s say mostly good things. But i would like some objective opinion. My biggest concern in an aeg is reliability>durability>accuracy>upgradability.
ao_tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:10   #21
Debrief
a.k.a. HKpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao_tenshi View Post
Anyways, how would everyone rate G&G M4 Max compared to other M4 in the sub-500 level? Just about all reviews ive read say its amazing and all. Actually, just about all reviews ive read for popular brand M4s say mostly good things. But i would like some objective opinion. My biggest concern in an aeg is reliability>durability>accuracy>upgradability.
The vast majority of reviews you will read about the BuyAirsoft special G&G "maXXX" series are written by minors with little airsoft experience.

That said, G&G is known to use proprietary parts (ie. difficult to upgrade when the majority of parts are for the TM platform). The maXXX series also ships with excessively powerful springs, which will damage the guns gearbox very quickly.

For sub-$500 you can pick up a TM or CA M4, which are very reliable and very easy to upgrade. I can assure you that you will have no regrets if you hold off buying before you get age verified.
Debrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:56   #22
kullwarrior

G&G max imho is way overprice but then again, what isn't from CAS/Buyairsoft?
as regard to OP,
Plastic vs Metal.... the better question should be
what kind of plastic? what kind of metal?

For a fiber reinforced polymer I would take it over a pot-metal (zinc-alloy) metal body.
It's all depending on the material.
Non-reinforced plastic cracks, while pot metal breaks (starting with the fragile parts then progressively worse)
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:46   #23
MultipleParadox

I was in the same boat not so long ago, and haven't fielded mine just yet (2 days to go!);

According to my "research", I resumed my options to be mainly between VFC and King Arms. I ended up buying a KA M4, from a great retailer on this site. So far the quality is simply great. Metal seems to be some aluminium alloy, rails are CNC'd and look great, nice trademarks to it too.

Internal quality seem "basic" but of good to great quality (for stock internals).

I didn't consider the other brands mentioned here mainly because I was under the impressions (I couldn't compare), from said research, that they either had less good internals or externals, or the price wasn't justified. I had a brand new AEG, full metal, working great for just under 500$

Just wanted to put you in perspective that there's more options. Hope it helps

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:07   #24
L473ncy

Quote:
yes, im way over 18, just need to get this av done, but seems like the rep in my area isnt responding to my pm just yet.

You can always go to Army Issue in Port Credit to get verified and oogle the surplus goods there.

As for the plastic vs metal. It really depends on what kind of metal it is. I picked up a used M4 with a G&P body on it. Amazing is all I can say about it.

If you're comparing "monkey metal" vs something awesome like Steel (like Inokatsu uses) there's no competition the steel wins.

However if you're comparing monkey metal vs plastic then it's up in the air. On one hand the metal seems more "sturdy" but then if it breaks it really breaks whereas the plastic is more durable in the sense it can take a few medium-hard knocks and if there's fractures or cracks you can always JB weld it or plastic glue it or something (but I think it may also be able to be used on metal parts).

As for a budget of $500 I assume that's for everything. And that's actually doable. I got into the sport for $600.

Pickup a used gun off the classifieds for $400-450 then spend the other 50-100 on stuff you need. BDU's can be picked up for as cheap as $30 for surplus Olive Drab (OG107), then mask for another ~$20-30+. Vest and all that can be picked up later. Just rock 2 or 3 midcaps (I consider anything >90 rounds midcap) and stash them in your pockets for the first few games and when you have the money move up to a vest and play with lowcaps (I consider >30 to 89 rounds lowcaps) and realcaps. I was lucky in that I borrowed a vest my first game and got some realcaps for a great price. So I've never had to play with anything bigger than a lowcap (68 rounders).
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:34   #25
ao_tenshi

Is there anywhere in GTA (like a store or field) that I can get verified this weekend?

I already got a full set of ACU, vest, mask etc. Just want to get a gun+battery (preferably new) for <$500 to get started.
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:52   #26
L473ncy

Quote:
Is there anywhere in GTA (like a store or field) that I can get verified this weekend?

I already got a full set of ACU, vest, mask etc. Just want to get a gun+battery (preferably new) for <$500 to get started.
ArmyIssue (that's his username)

Army Issue Surplus Inc.
1 Stavebank Road
Port Credit (Hurontario & Lakeshore)
Mississauga Ontario

Otherwise Brian McIlmoyle runs TTAC3

TTAC3
927 Dupont St. 2nd Floor
Toronto, Ontario

For $500 then it's perfectly doable. New it'll be a bit iffy but then again I haven't checked prices for a while. You can find great performers in the 400-500 range. Like I said, I bought my first gun used for $450 so that's always an option but sometimes you have to be careful to not get burned.

Here's a sample of the kinds of prices you'll see in the AV section retailers (scroll down like 1/4 of the page):

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=93431

You're basically looking at prices that will be around ~$430-480 if you want new, some going up to $600 or $650+ (new) but those ones will be out of your budget.
Old April 28th, 2011, 16:21   #27
ao_tenshi

Thanks, will check it out and get AV'd asap.
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:28   #28
JuicyFruits

Quote:

I got a G&G aeg... their plastic is pretty strong. Not as strong as metal, but for me it wasn't an issue. I've had it for 3 years now and I'd say I am very satisfied with it.

G&G is known to have shitty compression parts, so I changed mine just to be safe. Also replaced the inner barrel to a tightbore and replaced the stock hopup sleeve. The gun was easy to upgrade, and I didnt run into any problem.

The result is a gun that is pretty accurate and consistent, and that didnt cost me a lot.
JuicyFruits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 22:30   #29
ao_tenshi

Nice~ Which model of G&G do you own JuicyFruits?
Old May 6th, 2011, 22:45   #30
JuicyFruits

Its the MP5 with the folding stock, Mp5 G5.

If I had to chose again, I would maybe get an m4. I know someone who have one (g&g), and the performances were approximately the same, out of the box.

Only thing with the mp5 is that its a pain to get the battery inside the handguard. It barely fits. I had to buy smaller batteries, and even then I struggle for a good 10 mins before every game. With the m4 its much, much easier. I'll probably rear-wire the gun and put the battery inside a full stock to fix this problem.

Also to get to the mechbox (if you want to upgrade), its much more complicated with the mp5, because you have to remove the selector switch

Take your pick. There's also more "customization" options available to the M4. I still love my mp5 to death

Last edited by JuicyFruits; May 6th, 2011 at 23:06..
JuicyFruits is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion