EoTech 552 on hanguard?

:

Accessories Discussion

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:33   #1
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

EoTech 552 on hanguard?

Explaination?

What's the purpose doing this and having the carry handle?

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047

Last edited by Shirley; February 5th, 2009 at 02:52..
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:56   #3
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
If you don't have a flat top, you don't have any choice.

If you do have a flat top, allot of guys that walk around SUL all day long are finding having it lower down stops it from rubbing, banging and snagging on the vest or plate carrier all day. Having the handle makes it easier (at least from what I know) to mange it into and out of a car.

Some folks find it easier to get a sight picture with it farther out. It's not a magnified optic, there isn't any reason to have it right up on your face.

Allot of these guys are Ex-Mil and like the carry handle irons.
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:06   #4
Crunchmeister

I prefer mine a little closer. My preferred spot on my 416 is 1/2 on the front end, 1/2 on the body. Gives me easy access to the sights controls, and I can use my iron sights if need be. And it keeps the sight out of my way. As Blackthorne said, it's not magnified, so really you can put it at whatever distance you want.
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:12   #5
KND
* AV revoked *

The is reason that my Eotech on the handguard but I might be wrong, don't quote me on that.

You might want to your optic is far from your eyes sight for practical use. The point is if you put optic close to you eye then you can't reach any target else that not on you optic and you will only concentrate only one target in optic but if other target coming from another position so what you will do, your point is to get the first target and react to the second target or the third target, in addition to get all three of them together. That's mean, your optic can't be close to your eye that you can't have eye release on other target. That's the point.

KND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:48   #6
Ming_the_Merciless

Why this particular PSD (Private Security Detail) guy runs his EOTech far forward I can't know. But I do know that depending on the shooter, as some people before eluded to, you can get a slightly 'faster' sight picture/acquistion, and shoot in more awkward/difficult positions. From the drills I've conducted on the ground, roll-over-prone, reverse-roll-over prone, supine shooting, or whatever else it helps tremendously getting the optic forward.

However there is a down side to this. If you run your optic on a non-FF (Free-Float) rail, then any pressure on the hand guard/rail forward for the receiver can send rounds that are off by several inches in any direction. This is probably a moot point for this PSD guy, that operates or expects to engage threats up-close. If you don't believe me, I suggest any real-steel shooter go out to the range place a non-FF rail or the barrel on a barrier/object and see the shift in grouping.

If you mount it for airsoft use, this is definitely a non-issue, and whatever floats your boat.

While speaking about optics position, on a side note, we want the optic as low to the bore as possible, thus your hold-overs/off are not as dramatic. However the trade off is speed/comfort, low to the bore makes it difficult to acquire the dot with gear, helmet, and the like.

Last edited by Ming_the_Merciless; February 5th, 2009 at 10:50..
Ming_the_Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:56   #7
Danke

I bet that there are still a few people scratching their heads on this one, especially after trying it themselves.

If you put a clone that far away from your eye some reticles switch from a ring to a peanut shaped horror show. If you do it with the real deal the ring is still laser sharp.
Danke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:00   #8
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
I bet that there are still a few people scratching their heads on this one, especially after trying it themselves.

If you put a clone that far away from your eye some reticles switch from a ring to a peanut shaped horror show. If you do it with the real deal the ring is still laser sharp.

LOL...I never thought of that!
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:05   #9
Ace of Spades©

If you have any experience with the gas system on AR's and the unreliability of EOtechs around heat, you will understand why I say that who ever puts an EOtech on the hand guard of a real M4 is a giant retard. EOtechs are know to malfunction and stop working when under high heat and the gas expelled and the heat generated by the system are enough to compleatly fry all of the electronics in it. L3 states in the user manual not to put it on the rail, only the receiver.

Quote:
My gun is like a Land Rover, when it works, its great. Problem is, its a Land Rover, so it never works...
Ace of Spades© is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:11   #10
Dracheous
Lego Head

I've been putting mine further down, the reason I prefer this is because it reduces the size of the reticule to my perspective; this allows me to zero in the target I wish as the reticule does not "blot out" my target at range.

Its always lay out and avail. real estate, when I used a PEQ on my M4, I always tried to get it on top of the RAS as I prefer it there for balance, which means my 552 must go back on the receiver. But I've since moved to the new PEQ-15 from KA, and tracking down King Arm's LiPo battery so that it can go on the side of the TROY free float RAS and allow my 552 to move forward. I have the magpul BUIS flip-up/down sights as back up for battery failure as well, which does free up a lot of real estate on the receiver.

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:18   #11
Crunchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
Actually, I've done this with both my HurricanE 552 and the Huang / G&P replicas and it worked fine. No "peanut shaped horror show" here. It does make the reticle HUGE though, practically filling out the whole glass. The Huang clone is actually a bit sharper than the HurricanE when doing this.
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:25   #12
Dracheous
Lego Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
Actually, I've done this with both my HurricanE 552 and the Huang / G&P replicas and it worked fine. No "peanut shaped horror show" here. It does make the reticle HUGE though, practically filling out the whole glass. The Huang clone is actually a bit sharper than the HurricanE when doing this.
Really? I've had the exact opposite with mine.

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:29   #13
Crunchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracheous View Post
Really? I've had the exact opposite with mine.
The reticle on my Huang 552 is very thin. When held far away, the ring distorts a bit, but it's ok, and the dot is fine. The HurricanE's reticle is rather fat to start with. Moving it far from the eye makes it extra-fat and makes the central dot huge.
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:41   #14
Dracheous
Lego Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
The reticle on my Huang 552 is very thin. When held far away, the ring distorts a bit, but it's ok, and the dot is fine. The HurricanE's reticle is rather fat to start with. Moving it far from the eye makes it extra-fat and makes the central dot huge.
With mine, I've had the opposite, I find it stays crips no matter how far or close to it I look at it. And that when placed further away it does not "blot out" my target when they are at maximum ranges.

Old February 5th, 2009, 12:33   #15
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Spades View Post
If you have any experience with the gas system on AR's and the unreliability of EOtechs around heat, you will understand why I say that who ever puts an EOtech on the hand guard of a real M4 is a giant retard. EOtechs are know to malfunction and stop working when under high heat and the gas expelled and the heat generated by the system are enough to compleatly fry all of the electronics in it. L3 states in the user manual not to put it on the rail, only the receiver.

Good to know.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion