Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Noob footwear question

:

Gear Discussion

Old August 10th, 2016, 13:32   #1
RickGrimesWho

Noob footwear question

Hey guys,

So im brand new and looking to get my first set of gear soon. I've heard a lot of talk about boots. Ill be completely honest, at first I thought that was kind of dumb because I have never rolled my ankles before despite many many opportunities (im quite flexible) and figured the military style would run like ski boots. I was going to just go with a good quality pair of running shoes for sake of speed.

After seeing tons of input on the reason for boots as well as the sometimes muddy conditions at my local field (going sunday for the first time) Ive realized that my running shoes would be an all around bad idea, and a good pair of boots would be far superior. not to mention off white running shoes would probably make me look like a tool while in otherwise normal airsoft gear haha

anyway after that wall of text, I mean to ask what you guys recommend boot wise? I like to have speed and flexibility as well as a tight hold (I love my hockey skates extremely tight), but I want to keep dry as well. Something no more than $200 CAD would be preferred.

Any help/opinion is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by RickGrimesWho; August 10th, 2016 at 13:34..
RickGrimesWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 13:49   #2
wind_comm

hiking boots. try on a bunch of brands and models. if you're not wild about the ankles, you could go to a low hiker or an approach shoe with waterproof socks or deep gaiters.

feels like we get asked this every week or so. we'll all suggest models and brands till we're blue in the face, but no two feet are the same and you'll have to find "your brand".
Old August 10th, 2016, 13:57   #3
AnthonyG
LUser Title

For $200 you can get a really nice pair of hiking boots. Merrels and Salomon's are popular choices. Get Goretex boots and your feet will stay dry unless you totally submerge your boot.

Some models are cut in a way that provides better mobility when running; usually high sides and a lower back so you can retain more front-back movement of your ankle.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

*Busy signing for his packages*
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 14:32   #4
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

my altama exospeeds are 8" boots that are as light as most running shoes, they're like slippers.

-don't buy goretex "waterproof" boots if you ever plan on being in a puddle deeper than the boot, or have water wick down into the boot. They're waterproof shells, but they're basically ziploc bags. If water gets in, it's not getting out.

-highly recommend jungle boots. They have drains in the bottom to let water out. Downside is they also let water IN very easily. Personally I'd rather have the drains than risk carrying 2lbs of water around in each boot.

-great budget, don't go under $100

-the physically lighter the boot, the less support they'll have. I'm a healthy weight and have indestructible ankles. I've rolled my ankles carrying 140lbs of gear with no effect. I don't even bother tying my boots anymore. The 8" support is mostly there for impact and cut protection. If this sounds like you, it may not seem like much, but shaving 100g off a boot makes a huge difference when you're running 20km in a long game.

-hiking boots are okay, but 6-8" is recommended for ankle support, and watch the weight on them. Most hiking boots are much heavier than high end desert or jungle boots.

-altama, oakley, and salomon are good brands.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 15:45   #5
wind_comm

there are a lot of good brands and each one makes good models. fit is the most important by far and brand doesnt matter if it doesn't fit. so don't throw out any brands before trying them out. I had my heart set on Salomon's but couldn't even get my foot to touch the sole under the heel because my foot is so wide (ended up being too wide for keens, which fit bigger than most) fit like a dream in merrell's wide fit shoe's wide size.

biggest key I've learned is to not be able to flex the sole downwards. upwards is great (otherwise you wouldn't be able to walk at all. downwards flexing means your foot takes a beating that it shouldn't.
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:43   #6
Kungpow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickGrimesWho View Post
Hey guys,

So im brand new and looking to get my first set of gear soon. I've heard a lot of talk about boots. Ill be completely honest, at first I thought that was kind of dumb because I have never rolled my ankles before despite many many opportunities (im quite flexible) and figured the military style would run like ski boots. I was going to just go with a good quality pair of running shoes for sake of speed.

After seeing tons of input on the reason for boots as well as the sometimes muddy conditions at my local field (going sunday for the first time) Ive realized that my running shoes would be an all around bad idea, and a good pair of boots would be far superior. not to mention off white running shoes would probably make me look like a tool while in otherwise normal airsoft gear haha

anyway after that wall of text, I mean to ask what you guys recommend boot wise? I like to have speed and flexibility as well as a tight hold (I love my hockey skates extremely tight), but I want to keep dry as well. Something no more than $200 CAD would be preferred.

Any help/opinion is appreciated, thanks!
Hurry before they run out of stock!!!! (Again!)

http://www.fiveten.com/us/valor-2012-enforcer-black

A bunch of people on this forum bought them a year ago.
Decent boots for a great price.

TM Glock 18 "Upgraded"

AGM M4A1 GBBR "Upgraded"

King Arms M4A1 GBBR
Kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2016, 09:42   #7
Datawraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungpow View Post

Some people didn't like the lack of ankle support of them. I find I don't mind (maybe I'm just lacing them differently?), but also keep in mind these are desert boots. There are 2 grommets on each boot, so if you step in a puddle, you're going to get wet. Good price, and decent boots though; I've been beating up one of my pairs for the past year and it's still holding up okay. The soles are delaminating a bit though.
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2016, 14:20   #8
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Get a modern, light-weight and flexible style of boot with at least a 6" ankle support. Combat, mountain or jungle boots are best. Don't bother with steel toes as they add unnecessary weight, so work boots are out, also ultra weather proof boots aren't usually great as your foot won't dry and/or breathe, so unless you're wearing them as a weather specific boot for a certain day it is better to avoid them. Most modern combat boots are as light, or nearly as light as running shoes. I myself have been wearing Oakley SI boots for years and love them, they are quiet as hell and grip to almost anything. Many sports companies make combat style boots, such as Nike and Underarmor. Some companies specialize in combats, such as Bates, Magnum, Lowa, etc. Outdoor style companies like Merril or Solomon have good boot variants as well. Personally I own two pairs of 8" combats in case one set gets wet.

Last edited by Ricochet; August 11th, 2016 at 18:06..
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2016, 14:46   #9
JKxWKW

Quote:

Noooo there's no more Tan...
Old August 11th, 2016, 21:26   #10
Chillyrabbit

Quote:

I'll agree for that price point its a great deal.

Now if you want better quality that lasts longer follow the other suggestions.
Chillyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 16:59   #11
JayGus

Ive been using the same pair of merrel mid cut boots for 5 years. Had them resoled twice and wont give them up. Nothing bad about them other than the waterproofing has worn off. Think i paid around 140 for them back then, i dont remember the specifics, but theyre not the MOAB. Just shop around. Dont buy lower than mid cut otherwise they're just glorified running shoes. Vibram sole is a must, and dont worry about comfort at first. Most hiking boots require a break in period, mine was a month in guatemala.
JayGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 18:16   #12
naminator

I have 6 inch merrels. I can run full tilt in them, have yet to roll and ankle, they are light and they breath.

Down side? Not good for snow/winter shit. I am assuming they would let in a fair amount of water but because they drain well and dry fast I haven't noticed it. Plus I don't have the habit of playing in heavy rain.

Also, they are flexible. Which means I can climb obstacles easy and move quieter in dense brush.
Were you maybe expecting 1+1 = donut?
naminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 00:16   #13
Izzzzayy

Most people wear hiking boots like Salomons, but for me I like the traditional high cut black combat boots. For this reason I run surplus Canadian MKII combat boots. And they wont cost you an arm and a leg, including the newer MKIIIs.

http://www.herooutdoors.com/canadian...at-boots-used/

--------------------------------------------
Tippmann M4 Carbine Fanged LVOA
WE Tech SMG8
Lancer Tactical PDW
Elite Force 1911a1 Tac
HK3P Glock 18c
TM Glock 17
Izzzzayy is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion