Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Magpul PRS stock battery modification

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old August 29th, 2013, 18:24   #1
Reaver_RRTS

Magpul PRS stock battery modification

Hey everyone... Have the need to pick some brains, and I have a question for everyone that I'd like some help with.

I want the Magpul PRS stock for my GR25 AEG. For those who are unaware it's a rear wired mechbox. Obviously that means the battery is in the stock. My question is... is it possible to machine a section out of the PRS stock to fit a normal battery somewhere inside?

I know there is a buffer tube lipo mod and i'm not interested in that. Not enough power for what I have in mind. My current battery is a large brick style (if i have to change it to a smaller one I will, but I don't want to sacrifice power output too much)

Anyway. I can't seem to find diagrams or images of the INSIDE of one of these stocks, so I turn to ASC. I know the bottom of the PRS has a slide-out cap hiding a rail. I do not want a PEQ box for the battery there however. My thought was maybe to mill that area out and extend the wiring down through the stock to the bottom, enough for a battery to be pushed into some kind of compartment from below. It's an expensive stock, so I don't want to buy it, fuck it up, and be out the money. Plus, I lack the machines, but know someone I could ask, so I want to know if it'd be possible to somehow machine it.

Basically, the plan is to open the stock in half, machine a small groove for the wiring down to the bottom of the stock where the rail is. Machine a space wide enough inside where the rail is for a battery to be inserted into a compartment inside the stock. Obviously, the stock has two adjustment points, and I'd like to maintain the integrity of both the adjustable capabilities as well as the integrity of the physical strength of the PRS stock. I'm currently printing out some pictures, and will remodel the stock in 3D, in hopes of a basic design. If anyone has the PRS stock, and would be kind enough to send me pictures of the insides and the adjustment systems so I can figure out the internal designs, that would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

With that, I leave this little question and shred of hope in your hands!
Reaver_RRTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 18:46   #2
Kos-Mos

You cannot fit at "brick" large battery in there.
It's physically larger than the stock.

Also, the inside of the stock is already filled with adjustment mechanism for the cheek rest and pull length.

Most people that run a rear wired into that stock use a buffer-tube LiPo. It's around 1200mAh, and will give you PLENTY punch. You won't shoot a LOT of BBs (around 1500) with a single charge however, so having a spare is important on long game days.

As with any LiPo, a low-voltage alarm is also mandatory.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 18:54   #3
Reaver_RRTS

Hmm... I don't want to come off stubborn, I would be more than willing to buy a smaller battery to fit inside it if I could avoid lipo batteries... But I don't want to make a decision on what battery to buy (if any) until I can somehow get a picture of the internals. If it's completely impossible... then I'll improvise. I own one lipo battery for my F2000 but didn't know I need a low voltage alarm for it.. (second hand gun came with the battery...)
Old August 29th, 2013, 19:53   #4
Spike
Privateer Airsoft

You don't NEED a lipo alarm, but if you let your lipo drain all the way it will damage the battery.

If you already have a lipo charger than why are you so hesitant to get a lipo?
Old August 29th, 2013, 20:09   #5
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
You don't NEED a lipo alarm, but if you let your lipo drain all the way it will damage the battery.

If you already have a lipo charger than why are you so hesitant to get a lipo?
Yes, and if you don't know about it and charge it, it might burst into flammes.

Most people don't know when it "all the way down". Hint: It's quite a while before your gun stops working.
Old August 29th, 2013, 20:27   #6
venture

I have developed a way to fit a 9.6v 1600 Mah nunchuck battery into the PRS stock if you do not want to go lipo.

Visit us at :www.ventureairsoft.ca
venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 20:46   #7
Reaver_RRTS

@Venture: Would you mind explaining? Pictures? etc...

As for everyone else, as far as the lipo charging goes, it's my first lipo battery, and like i said it came with the f2000 i bought second hand. I am aware that attempting to charge it on a standard charger will cause a fire, hence why i bought a proper lipo charger. However I did not know that letting it drain all the way will damage it. as it is, i dont use the guns often enough to drain the battery completely. however i cant imagine charging it after each use without knowing what state of charge it has remaining isnt good for the battery either.

I'd like to have a battery powerful enough to operate the gun, and have enough energy to last a decent while without me having to switch it every four hours. As it stands, I only participate in walk-on games right now, usually a six hour game session, and thats between the F2000 and the GR25.
Old August 29th, 2013, 20:57   #8
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver_RRTS View Post
@Venture: Would you mind explaining? Pictures? etc...

As for everyone else, as far as the lipo charging goes, it's my first lipo battery, and like i said it came with the f2000 i bought second hand. I am aware that attempting to charge it on a standard charger will cause a fire, hence why i bought a proper lipo charger. However I did not know that letting it drain all the way will damage it. as it is, i dont use the guns often enough to drain the battery completely. however i cant imagine charging it after each use without knowing what state of charge it has remaining isnt good for the battery either.

I'd like to have a battery powerful enough to operate the gun, and have enough energy to last a decent while without me having to switch it every four hours. As it stands, I only participate in walk-on games right now, usually a six hour game session, and thats between the F2000 and the GR25.
You are supposed to charge it all the time, especially when done playing. You have to keep the battery almost full for storage too.

No battery should be left empty anymore; NiCd have not been used in anything for the past decade. NiMih (1600mAh minis, 3000+ large) should also be fully charged after each game. They won't explode if left to drain, but won't hold charge after and might reverse polarity (that is bad and makes the cells overheat and can damage the wires and insides of the gun).
Old August 29th, 2013, 21:00   #9
Reaver_RRTS

Thank you for that information! I would have preferred to charge them constantly after each game but didn't know if it'd damage the batteries.
Old August 29th, 2013, 22:10   #10
SuperHog

Lipo batteries should be stored at 3.75 - 3.8V. Never store at full charge.

Reaver_RRTS, since you are using a SR25 as a sniper, you can by with a tiny 11.V lip if you can mill a cavity to hide it. Is there no room in the buffer tube?

Also design a quick access panel so you can also do a quick change out at the field.

If you can do it, the PRS looks sweet on your setup.

Last edited by SuperHog; August 29th, 2013 at 22:13..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 22:13   #11
Reaver_RRTS

I doubt I'd ever leave it full charge except for the charge before the day of the game. after the game i'd leave it until the night before the next game is usually how i charge them... If I can get pictures of the inside of the stock I can make a 3D model to scale and design a system to make it work. Thanks for the info.
Old August 30th, 2013, 00:14   #12
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I did a PRS mod for my PTW, take a look for my posts in the PTW thread, I have some REALLY detailed photos on how to do the mod and it translates perfectly well to an AEG
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 00:25   #13
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I did a PRS mod for my PTW, take a look for my posts in the PTW thread, I have some REALLY detailed photos on how to do the mod and it translates perfectly well to an AEG
Link please
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:02   #14
Reaver_RRTS

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=151840
I think it's this one.
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:37   #15
Fuzzy

I have a g&p Sr25 magpul edition with the prs stock. I can fit a Lipo stick battery in the buffer tube without issue. The buffer tube has a large cut out along the bottom of the tube to allow for the battery.

I'm not sure if this is how the prs buffer tube comes normally or if it was factory modded for the g&p Sr25.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications