Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Long rifles in close quarters combat

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old September 2nd, 2011, 13:23   #1
a_sock

Talking Long rifles in close quarters combat

Hoping we all could share our experiences and ideas for dealing with situations where a player with a long rifle is forced into a situation where they must engage targets in close quarters(only weapons without M.E.D. of course)

Been in a couple situations where there was not time to switch to my pistol or that my pistol was rendered useless(out of ammo or malfunction) and I was hoping some people here might have some tips and advice for such a situation.

I usually tuck the stock under my armpit or slide the stock up and past my shoulder, but both awkward, and full shouldering a full length rifle means you have to stay way back from the bunker and hope the enemy does not have an angle on you.

Any way to deal with this?-aside from just buttstroke them
a_sock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 14:39   #2
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Start working out so you can swing it around faster, or wear your pistol so you can get to it faster
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 15:03   #3
FoxhoundNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_sock View Post
I usually tuck the stock under my armpit or slide the stock up and past my shoulder, but both awkward, and full shouldering a full length rifle means you have to stay way back from the bunker and hope the enemy does not have an angle on you.
I personally hate when people pull either of these moves; if you're going to hold your AEG like a paintball gun go play paintball...

I've played indoors with some fairly long weapons, M16 length+, and all you have to do is either lower your weapon into a low ready and move up to the wall for cover, and to fire take a step back as you raise the weapon into the high ready.

Though if you're in a situation when you're expecting to be in CQB for a long time... maybe leave the long weapon at home.
FoxhoundNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 15:20   #4
Amos

Cradling a long rifle while rounding a corner works for me
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 15:38   #5
Strelok

Does it really matter how the person holds it? I've seen MOUT training videos where soldiers with long guns tuck it over or under to maneuver corners, I dont think its really out of line if its off shoulder for a moment. If it keeps the barrel fixed forward, all the better for them.

Do whats best for yourself, if anything.

I've been growing increasingly fond of guns with sidefolding stocks... Perhaps look into those if having a long gun with maneuverability is within your interest.
Strelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 17:43   #6
a_sock

I have a sidearm thats very capable of handling close quarters situations(usually keep at least 1 50 round mag on me, just in case) and also have a nice little 97b for cqb and average outdoor engagements. I just seem to favour my giant meter sticks of death more, although I still play aggresively with them, and as of such I find myself in some tight situations.

As it seems there really arent any solid ways of dealing with the situation, so I better keep my glock well maintained from now on.
a_sock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 18:00   #7
Mitchell12
vision impaired

Just slice the pie and don't stick to your cover,You don't need to expose yourself all at once.

If you are relying on strictly reflexes and point shooting to stay alive then you need to practice your tactics.
Mitchell12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 23:06   #8
ViR

Just swing it around the back..
ViR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 16:40   #9
battlerager

I normally stay away from it, but in this case it sounds like it might work. Look into CAR style shooting. My understanding of it (from reading about it not from classes so take this with a grain of salt) is that it's meant to be taught quickly to civilian shooters for things like home defense. Sounds pretty CQB to me. And most of the drawbacks to it kind of go out the window when you are talking airsoft and not real steel (unless someone plays that vest hits don't count or something)
Old September 7th, 2011, 19:21   #10
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

Maneuverability of long guns depends on your body type also, at 6'5'' ~260 I've got the arm length to do more will a full sized battle riffle than a 5' 100 pound chick. Also, the smaller submachine guns just look plain silly in my hands.

Stop American Censorship
surebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 22:25   #11
TaroBear

Damn, you're tall.
Old September 7th, 2011, 22:40   #12
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

You know what they say about guys with size 14 4D feet?

They hate shoe shopping.

Stop American Censorship
surebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 23:09   #13
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Pistol all the way......for me, a few times in tight quarters, won't even bother using my MP5A5 except to reload my pistol mags. And my experiences, I got WAY more kills with just pistol that it makes carrying even a submachine gun useless. For urban type fields, M24 sniper rifle and pistol for me too, AEG = 10% useful, especially in low light/after dark.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 22:51   #14
Specs

A huge thing is trigger response. Using gbbs is a great alternative, I am looking to get a KWA MP7 for indoor games.

Kingston airsoft, we do it better.
Specs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 12:13   #15
Six By Ten
2tall2brawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxhoundNB View Post
I personally hate when people pull either of these moves; if you're going to hold your AEG like a paintball gun go play paintball...

I've played indoors with some fairly long weapons, M16 length+, and all you have to do is either lower your weapon into a low ready and move up to the wall for cover, and to fire take a step back as you raise the weapon into the high ready.

Though if you're in a situation when you're expecting to be in CQB for a long time... maybe leave the long weapon at home.
The tuck under the armpit is used by some real trainers for real firearms, I believe Frontsight comes to mind as one place that teaches that method. The recoil on a real firearm is not so uncontrollable that at <10 feet you must have your weapon shouldered to hit your target.

Tip for tucking your rifle as you enter a confined space, wrap your off hand around your handguard near your front sight with your index finger pointed down the barrel. Simply point at your target to engage effectively. In fact, I use this with my weapon shouldered as well. Keep your front sight in view and even if you don't have time to properly sight down your weapon, at CQB ranges you can still quickly engage targets.
Six By Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures