Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Paint!

:

General

Old March 21st, 2015, 23:54   #1
92silvias13

Paint!

So I am wanting to paint my AK. I went out and bought some cans of rustoleum camo paint and did a test on some cardboard. I think it looks pretty good! Just looking for your opinions or if you have any advice on what not to do since this is my first attempt!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.43 MB, 40 views)
92silvias13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 01:47   #2
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

I haven't tried rustoleum camo paint so I can't comment on that, but I'd recommend Krylon Camo paint for sure.

Consider only painting the parts of your gun you want painted, so some disassembly may be required. Take extra time and care taping off anything you don't want painted or shouldn't get paint in it.

Use some netting or large grass/leaves or whatever to give the paint job a design. Do several, even overlapping coats to give it a good texture.

After I'd coat it in a few layers of a protectant, such as Krylon make-it-stone.

If you're painting the whole gun, do a super careful, really good job of taping up stuff. I mean always put effort into your taping, but you know what I mean.

When I painted mine, started with three solid layers of tan, then several overlapping layers of tan and green, then three solid layers of make it stone.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 09:20   #3
ebfud

I haven't used the rustoleum camo colours but there other paints are pretty good. Like ricochet said make sure you use something as a top coat makes the paint that much more resilient. Otherwise it looks good! Reminds me of atacs fg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
I say we go over there, knock on their door and politely ask them to stop...with a cruise-missile...to the face.
ebfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 09:43   #4
nardac

I've painted a few things, helmets, guns. All the above advice is good. I've used both rustoleum and krylon, I prefer the krylon. Covers better, doesn't come out of the nozzle so heavy, which I find works better when trying to apply an even coat.

I just did my m4 yesterday, netting works well. I don't get to fancy, just do enough to break it up a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.68 MB, 38 views)
nardac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 09:50   #5
cav.

Yep, I'd say use both brands. I find Krylon has a very nice green camo. Layer your pants, dont be afraid to screw up since you can just cover it. Use foliage to your advantage and also laundry nets. With patience it can look like this:
Old March 22nd, 2015, 10:54   #6
92silvias13

Thanks for the tips guys! I plan on attempting this today. Will post pics when done!
Old March 22nd, 2015, 14:13   #7
Jamblor

Those are some awesome paint jobs, may have to try it out this spring.
Jamblor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 14:22   #8
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

not a huge fan of painted up guns, but dat 416
Old March 22nd, 2015, 17:12   #9
92silvias13

So finally got it finished. Turned out okay for being my first try. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.70 MB, 39 views)
Old March 22nd, 2015, 18:44   #10
ebfud

Looks pretty good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
I say we go over there, knock on their door and politely ask them to stop...with a cruise-missile...to the face.
ebfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 00:56   #11
Gavelak

The Rustolium paint is good for metal guns and Krylon for plastic since it uses the fusion tech. I just find it doesnt hold up on metal as well. The only major trick is not to get paint into the internals or barrel or trigger area. Use light coats, so you don't sieze up moving controls ie; selector switch, forward assist ect. I used brake cleaner on metal parts first then used an air compressor to dry it off. Works well to prep the gun for paint. Take your time and plan the design out. Start with the lightest color as a base then go darker... I sometimes use stencils for a camo patern or use masking tape cut out in layers for more complicated designs such as digital ect...there are alot of good youtube vid tutorials out there. Idealy you would want to disasemble the gun before painting and paint each part seperately. But, if not sure how to do it you can do it assembled....just mask off and block areas where no paint should go.

Last edited by Gavelak; March 28th, 2015 at 00:59..
Gavelak is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General