Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Homemade Grenade rules across Canada

:

Gear Discussion

Old February 10th, 2009, 18:35   #1
Roughneck
used to be Spencer aka Sue

Homemade Grenade rules across Canada

In the Ottawa region and as far as Montreal.. several players make their own grenades for use on the field. There are various ways but most involve a paper/cardboard shell, some sort of bastardized pyrotechnic and bb's/dried peas etc. From my experience, the whole thing is pretty unregulated and I'm curious to see what rules everyone else has.

For our area, the only real rules are that you must call out "Grenade!" before you throw one. If it lands withing 5 feet, you're supposed to call yourself out (which rarely happens)

I personally don't agree with calling it out before you throw one. Most grenades are no louder than a firecracker and cannot damage hearing. Yelling grenade before throwing one, is the same as yelling from across the field that you're going to shoot at someone before you do. I like to use mine as a surprise tactic/flashbang, throw it in the room and charge in shooting after it goes off.

How do you guys feel about it?

Please save for me, some gallantry
That will echo when I'm gone
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 18:47   #2
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Nice idea, what if the grenade lands behind you, and while you're running you can't see it if it comes 5ft or not? lol

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 19:37   #3
LUTNIT

Home made pyro is banned at many places in Canada due to safety issues, liability issues, and legality issues (its illegal to modify fireworks without the proper licenses.)

I have never really followed the 5 foot rule, I call myself out if the peas/BB's actually hit me. Sometimes you can be 20-40' away and still get hit if its all clear, sometimes you can be standing beside it and you aren't. Real grenades have a far larger kill radius than 5 feet.

I call out when I throw grenades because I am told to. The only time I would say its required is when playing indoors. The bang inside of a small room with only one door is enough to phase your hearing for a couple minutes, its happened to me. Also I have seen some florescent lights shattered when a grenade went off and the room had 10' ceilings.

Outdoor games I don't really see calling it as being required and late this past season a lot of people stopped calling grenades (Warmongres, ODA, GBA, and other teams) because it was seen as unnecessary. Just make sure everyone knows they are in play.
LUTNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 19:54   #4
Donster

or we can just all support AI and buy their grenade and then we dont have to call out etc etc. Though i fully agree that homemade nades are awesome what with the bang and the fact that they are actually effective.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 20:02   #5
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONSTER 125 View Post
or we can just all support AI and buy their grenade and then we dont have to call out etc etc. Though i fully agree that homemade nades are awesome what with the bang and the fact that they are actually effective.
Useless out doors, and not environmentally friendly either. And expensive!

Dry peas rock!
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 20:02   #6
ShelledPants

While you may not agree with calling out "Grenade"... When someone does call out grenade... you're a lot less likely to pick up that sparkling thing which landed next to you. Not to mention, from a purely team oriented aspect, it lets your own team to get to cover before they get hit by bits of bbs.

At BW2 there was pyro, and call me a pussy, but it scared me. I go to airsoft games to get shot by BBs and potentially injure myself by running and diving for cover... Explosives are not something I take lightly, as they are home made, and the only person I trust around explosives is myself.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 20:08   #7
Roughneck
used to be Spencer aka Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
When someone does call out grenade... you're a lot less likely to pick up that sparkling thing which landed next to you.
Having the urge to pick up that round thing with a burning fuse is Darwinism at it's finest.

I understand the tactic of calling grenade to inform your teammates that you're tossing one, but Im talking about telling the enemy that you're going to throw one at them. This gives them time to run away/find better cover/escape.

Please save for me, some gallantry
That will echo when I'm gone
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 20:17   #8
Sharpe's Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I understand the tactic of calling grenade to inform your teammates that you're tossing one, but Im talking about telling the enemy that you're going to throw one at them. This gives them time to run away/find better cover/escape.
I'm quite sure that real military doctrine calls for calling out "grenade" when one is thrown. It normally preceeds an assualt, so even when the shrapnel may not actually kill the enemy, the concussion can disorient them, and it will at least get their heads down while you advace. Calling it out protects you from having a friendly fire casualty, AND has the effect of causing your enemy to put his head down while you advance.

It all depends whether or not you actually expect your grenade to kill anyone, or just screw them up/ send them running so you can shoot their asses.
Sharpe's Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 20:18   #9
coach
aka coachster

I'll stick with m203's. might not be able to toss one into an open window or doorway but still loads of fun even though it's a highly inefficient use or BB's sometimes.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 20:21   #10
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Grab a hand full of used bbs, and throw them at the enemy., FIRE AWAY!

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 20:21   #11
mcguyver

Home made pyro is pretty much banned in Alberta, and some fields won't allow it at all, home made, professionally made, whatever

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 20:47   #12
G.I. Joel

I've used homemade grenades on myself and close friends at private scrims. Both indoors an out. I feel they are safe when tossed underhand, and Verbal warning is giving by the 'Nader to the 'Nadee indoors. and a "thrown near, not thrown at" common sense mentality is the status quo.

I find its more difficult at times for the thrower to light the fuse (especially outdoors) and get it out quick before the target figures out whats going on.
Many times I have friendly fired myself with my own nade, both pyro and AI. I have also thrown back a pyro to have it air burst above the thrower.

If most people are smart about it and use only as much pyro as needed to give the projectiles an adequate spread radius, you'll be ok, but when hosting games where this is allowed its really up to:
1) The Host
2) The General Consensus decided by the players.

Most of the issue as to why its not allowed to be used is that the noise attracts attention...negative attention

Im all for this type of thing, I like the element of danger to throw us all off guard. Its real great to have going on at a Milsim, and anyone who was assaulting the militia home base at BW2 will know that as the smoke was pluming upwards in the sky, and after Krusty lit off 3 of his whiz-bangs. It was myself and a sniper friend running the roman candles and bottle rocket batteries like madmen on an artillery barrage.

I am however, Respectful of the safety of others and would never do anything to put someone's health in danger. If someone isn't of mutual opinion then its always better to leave that out.
Better safe than sorry.
G.I. Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 20:53   #13
Beazer

Could someone please pm me with directions for making some of these.
I'm not using them for an actual game unless so permitted by a host, however it's just something I would like to look at for photo ops or video's.
In a controlled environment.
I just wish I could get those ones made by zero delay still.
Beazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 20:55   #14
ShelledPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I. Joel View Post
If most people are smart
Bad assumption.

But I understand your point, as long as pyro is announced before game day and cleared with game admin, I'm ok with it.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 20:56   #15
Krusty

I remember that it was in good fun and completely safe and controlled.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion