Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

GBB AK question

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old January 4th, 2014, 10:18   #1
Egos

GBB AK question

Hi

I apologize in advance if this had been asked before.
I am new to airsoft. I like GBBs over AEGs and I would like to get an AK 47 or 74, but I am uncertain about that. I briefly had a WE AK PMC, and found 2 things about it that I did not like

1 When reloading. If I do not have the magazine at a precise angle then there is a chance that it might release some gas on reload. Worst case scenario is I empty all of my gas in that magazine and am stuck with magazine full of BB's and no gas .That make that magazine useless if I am in the middle of a game, since I have to reload the mag. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal and I should learn to reload better?

2 is WE AK PMC rate of fire felt slow. I believe there are modifications I can use to make it faster (it will no longer be full travel bolt I believe). Is there a way to improve WE AK PMC rate of fire?

and last but not least are there any places I can get KWA AK 74 from?

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you very much,

E

Last edited by Egos; January 4th, 2014 at 11:06..
Egos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:12   #2
redzaku

Get age verfied first, and fill out your location so we can direct you to one.
The problem is user error, due to the AK "rocking it in" style of magazine, practice is imperative for a GBBR, just keep practicing.
Lastly, because of the AK has a lot of "dead space" which results in a long bolt cycle, it has to travel a long way to cycle for the next shot, however there is a part that you can install to give a higher ROF and better cooldown. By installing a speed recoil. you cut the travel time in half.
За Родину!
BRRRRRT!
redzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:32   #3
Egos

I will get on Age verification right away.

But this means that any AK 47 or 74 will have the potential to empty the gas?
AK 74 mags looks less curved and seem easier to reload (then again I never handled a AK 74 so it might be my imagination).

Thank you,
E
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:39   #4
redzaku

it shouldn't, just how your angle is at when you reload, just practise
За Родину!
BRRRRRT!
redzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:46   #5
Egos

OK

Thank you once again.

E
Old January 4th, 2014, 12:43   #6
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
If you want the best of the best for GBB AK's I would recommend the brand "GHK".

They are quite rare but damn, they are beastly and worth the cost IMHO.

If you are starting out and want to slowly upgrade, then get a WE/KWA.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 13:01   #7
Egos

I was doing some research and found only 3 brands of AKs WE, KWA (Which dissipated from Toronto Airsoft website) and GHK (GHK being the most expensive).

Why is GHK the most expensive, does it use better quality parts?
Can you explain why you recommend GHK and why it is the most expensive out of the 3 brands?

So far one on Toronto Airsoft has all wood covers (no rails) and stock (I would like to get a folding stock), but since I am new to Airsoft I don't know much.

Thank you,

E
Old January 4th, 2014, 14:27   #8
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Send a message via MSN to beta678
Quality (LCT kits), realism, recoil, and lots of aftermarket support would be a few reasons why you'd want to go with GHK.

Do a bit more research and figure out whats in your price range and what you want looks wise. There's the "classic" look and the "tacticool" look, wire folding stock, solid folding stock, AR stock adapters, etc. Do you want to bother getting parts to swap out or do you want to buy an AK and not have to do anything to it? Do you want to run rails (since you mentioned it I'm assuming you want them)? What sort of accessories or optics are you planning on putting on? Figure out what you want first cause at the end of the day your budget might not be able to cover what you want.

Oh and a few other things to note is the maintenance of GBBRs, are you willing to break it down after each game and clean it, oil it, lube it and give it a once over? Then there's the cost of mags, how many do you want/need? GBBR's are usually standard cap and they're not cheap at ~$50-60 a pop average (before tax) compared to AEG midcap mags that go for ~$40-50 for a set of 5 or more.

End of the day you'll probably be pushing $1K for a GBBR, mags, minimum essential gear (GOOD goggles, boots, etc) vs the much cheaper costs of an AEG. Just some things to put into consideration when going with GBBRs vs AEGs.
beta678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 14:35   #9
HeadlessChicken

I don't remember which Youtube video I saw it in but I found angling your mag all the way forward so the bottom of the mag touches your foregrip then rock the mag in seats it properly in my WE AK PMC. With practice, I'm able to do this with some speed and do admin reloads after removing the extended magwell.
"Hey I'm the first one to say its a great country but its a straaaaange culture. This is a place where gun store owners are given a list of stolen credit cards but not a list of CRIMINALS and MANIACS. And now they're thinking of banning toy guns...AND THEY'RE GONNA KEEP THE F**KING REAL ONES!"
-George Carlin 1937 - 2008 (RIP buddy)
HeadlessChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 16:33   #10
Disco_Dante

The best ROF enhancer for the WE is made by FG airsoft. It will dramatically improve the rate of fire while still allowing you to lock the bolt back with the selector switch, so you lose very little bolt travel.

My old WE gave me less problems than my GHK, which has destroyed two nozzles and two hopup units.

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 18:22   #11
Egos

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta678 View Post
Quality (LCT kits), realism, recoil, and lots of aftermarket support would be a few reasons why you'd want to go with GHK.

Do a bit more research and figure out whats in your price range and what you want looks wise. There's the "classic" look and the "tacticool" look, wire folding stock, solid folding stock, AR stock adapters, etc. Do you want to bother getting parts to swap out or do you want to buy an AK and not have to do anything to it? Do you want to run rails (since you mentioned it I'm assuming you want them)? What sort of accessories or optics are you planning on putting on? Figure out what you want first cause at the end of the day your budget might not be able to cover what you want.

Oh and a few other things to note is the maintenance of GBBRs, are you willing to break it down after each game and clean it, oil it, lube it and give it a once over? Then there's the cost of mags, how many do you want/need? GBBR's are usually standard cap and they're not cheap at ~$50-60 a pop average (before tax) compared to AEG midcap mags that go for ~$40-50 for a set of 5 or more.

End of the day you'll probably be pushing $1K for a GBBR, mags, minimum essential gear (GOOD goggles, boots, etc) vs the much cheaper costs of an AEG. Just some things to put into consideration when going with GBBRs vs AEGs.
ok
Thank you for the info

Are there any Canadian websites that carry GHKs? Preferably 74 and not 47
Are there any Canadian websites that carry GHK's that have tactical look?
I looked up some items (stock, front rails, more rails, etc. on other websites), but if I can find GHK ak 74 or a 105 that already has rails on them that is even better that have rails on them it would be even better.

Also I am under impression that if Canadian store does not have it then it is out of reach (non accessories, but actual airsoft GBBR or AEG), is that correct?

Thank you for the great information,
E
Old January 4th, 2014, 18:37   #12
pancakedestroyer

There are places to find GHK 74s and a few places to find the 105. Till you're AV'd we can't link you to them.

The 74 won't come with rails, the 105 also will not come with rails. You'll need to purchase a railed handguard separately.

If you're already looking at places that are in country that carry GHK but they don't list the product then it is possibly it isn't available to them OR it isn't cost effective to them to bring in. Sometimes special orders can be done.
If it isn't in stock then it is exactly that, not in stock. Not unobtainable, just not available.

From the sounds of it you want rails cause rails = tactial look... no GHK AKs are going to come with rails.

To just toss this out there as well, I had the WE PMC AK and ran it for a season. I loved it, I regret selling it and plan on getting another. I used it stock, 0 problems. I had the issue when I got it of gas leaking when I'd swap mags. Practice fixed that pretty quick, it is just technique on seating the mag that corrects the issue of them leaking.
As for a ROF issue, yea it isn't as fast as the GHK but it is a gas gun and it isn't a terribly slow ROF to begin with, I also wasn't trying to compete with people running sewing machines with a high ROF.
pancakedestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 19:09   #13
Egos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakedestroyer View Post
There are places to find GHK 74s and a few places to find the 105. Till you're AV'd we can't link you to them.

The 74 won't come with rails, the 105 also will not come with rails. You'll need to purchase a railed handguard separately.

If you're already looking at places that are in country that carry GHK but they don't list the product then it is possibly it isn't available to them OR it isn't cost effective to them to bring in. Sometimes special orders can be done.
If it isn't in stock then it is exactly that, not in stock. Not unobtainable, just not available.

From the sounds of it you want rails cause rails = tactial look... no GHK AKs are going to come with rails.

To just toss this out there as well, I had the WE PMC AK and ran it for a season. I loved it, I regret selling it and plan on getting another. I used it stock, 0 problems. I had the issue when I got it of gas leaking when I'd swap mags. Practice fixed that pretty quick, it is just technique on seating the mag that corrects the issue of them leaking.
As for a ROF issue, yea it isn't as fast as the GHK but it is a gas gun and it isn't a terribly slow ROF to begin with, I also wasn't trying to compete with people running sewing machines with a high ROF.
Thx
Ill get on age verification right away. then come back for those links. So far I know of Toronto Airsoft (only have GHK 47 on their site) and MilSig.ca (their prices are incredibly high)

Thank again,
E
Old January 4th, 2014, 23:21   #14
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Check out my GHK AKM review for more background;

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=129360
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 23:33   #15
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Or if you're interested in HPA syste. with a line to your gun you could always make a Daytona gun.

They use AEG mags too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW3u...e_gdata_player
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion