Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Trying to find the right radio

:

Gear Discussion

Old May 29th, 2019, 18:33   #1
jwm470

Trying to find the right radio

Hey guys!
I'm currently looking for a good radio choice to finish up with my comms setup. Just wondering what you guys would recommend? I don't have my amateur radio license so I would prefer ones that don't require it. Also looking for the radio to have a 2 pin kenwood connector since that seems like it would be the easiest to use a PTT on (going to have to get one from Tp120 since i am running Peltor Comtac III's).

Any help would be great!
jwm470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 01:46   #2
Hiker_Boy

I doubt you're going to find a FRS radio which uses Kenwood connectors and most adapters do not work. I commend you on wanting to keep your coms legal. Take the course( I did it two months ago) and you'll have access to all sorts of awesome radios.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Hiker_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 10:34   #3
Danke

Lintons had Kenwood pins. Not sure if they still do. Technically in the bad books like all those other import handhelds that are programmable and have a replaceable antenna.
Old May 30th, 2019, 13:51   #4
jwm470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker_Boy View Post
I doubt you're going to find a FRS radio which uses Kenwood connectors and most adapters do not work. I commend you on wanting to keep your coms legal. Take the course( I did it two months ago) and you'll have access to all sorts of awesome radios.

how hard is it to get a license? I can't seem to find a lot of information online for how to get a license. I do believe i have to take a exam, but I'm not sure what materials i would have to study and where i would have to go.
Old May 30th, 2019, 15:58   #5
St. Ides

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm470 View Post
Hey guys!
I'm currently looking for a good radio choice to finish up with my comms setup. Just wondering what you guys would recommend? I don't have my amateur radio license so I would prefer ones that don't require it. Also looking for the radio to have a 2 pin kenwood connector since that seems like it would be the easiest to use a PTT on (going to have to get one from Tp120 since i am running Peltor Comtac III's).

Any help would be great!
Give this thread a read ==> http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=163816
St. Ides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 17:02   #6
Hiker_Boy

Quote:
how hard is it to get a license? I can't seem to find a lot of information online for how to get a license. I do believe i have to take a exam, but I'm not sure what materials i would have to study and where i would have to go.
Looking up information from your local amateur radio club's Facebook page is probably the best way to start but you can find out more about the certification on this site. https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gs...g/sf01008.html I just looked up on the net which group was holding classes at the most convenient location and times and then signed up.

Old June 1st, 2019, 22:27   #7
jwm470

Thanks a bunch for all of the help guys! I think I'm going to take your advice and just go for my amateurs license since it'll be easier that way
Old June 2nd, 2019, 01:07   #8
Hiker_Boy

Quote:
Thanks a bunch for all of the help guys! I think I'm going to take your advice and just go for my amateurs license since it'll be easier that way
Excellent. You wont regret it. You'll have access to better quality radios and accessories when you get certified since many of the better vendors won't sell to anyone who doesn't have a registered call sign.

Old June 2nd, 2019, 21:15   #9
jwm470

sounds good. The more I think about it and all the pointers you guys gave the more deadset I'm becoming on getting a license
Old August 16th, 2019, 08:35   #10
fortsmithman

Quote:
Hey guys!
Also looking for the radio to have a 2 pin kenwood connector since that seems like it would be the easiest to use a PTT on (going to have to get one from Tp120 since i am running Peltor Comtac III's).
Midland GXT 860 and GXT 1000 FRS GMRS radios both use 2 pin connectors similar to kenwood. The speaker mic for the Midland FRS GMRS models mentioned also work on the Cobra portable CB radio.
fortsmithman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2019, 08:38   #11
fortsmithman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker_Boy View Post
Excellent. You wont regret it. You'll have access to better quality radios and accessories when you get certified since many of the better vendors won't sell to anyone who doesn't have a registered call sign.

Is Morse code still a HAM licence requirement.
fortsmithman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2019, 11:27   #12
Hiker_Boy

Morse is a requirement of the advanced certificate but it's a really easy 5 words/min.

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion