Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Would You support a Charity Game

:

General

Old March 14th, 2011, 18:26   #1
Cico

Would You support a Charity Game

****Disclaimer****
I have not booked this game or gone beyond the planning stages other than contacting 1 or 2 venues to get an idea of cost

I had an idea the other night when I was attending a dinner at a friends house and they were talking about a charity paintball game they were going to.

I know the idea is not new or improved but the question is would you attend an event where you would pay an inflated price to support a charity?

I believe that most of us here agree that there are ALOT of good charities out there and they could all use some money. So instead of me or the host picking the set charity I think it would be good that the overall winner of the said event to pick from a pre-determined list of deserving charities as pertains to the airsoft culture.(which would be posed prior to sign up)

After contact a few venues i did a base calculation to run an event would cost for the venue only and no money to the charity $2200-$3000 per day. That is a huge cost to an organizer and it would deeply impact the price for an event. Based on 45 players Or 9x5 man teams it would work out to a cost of $48.88-$66.66/player $244-$333 Team just to cover cost. This would be a sole use of the venue privilege for a saturday or sunday. So would you support it?

I have an idea for an event but don't want to post it up yet or even commit to it until i have more knowledge if there is even a player base willing to pay an inflated price. I also would be drawing from experienced hosts who could guide me better on the execution.

**** flame suit on*****
****Disclaimer************************************ ****************
I have not booked this game or gone beyond the planning stages other than contacting 1 or 2 venues to get an idea of cost

A number of camo players just walked around with guns on their backs or hanging down with no kill indicators on them and expected players to know they are dead. I'm assuming most of these players drive BMW's and refuse to use the indicators because they know where they are going.
Cico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 18:54   #2
coach
aka coachster

Personally, I'd want to know what charity I'm donating to before making the commitment. You should just choose one and go from there.

I've been burned before with online forum organized charity events so I'd also want to see some controls in place to ensure funds received actually go to the charity. Something as simple as a picture handing over a cheque for the amount received or a scan of the receipt. Call me paranoid, and I'm not saying you're out to make a buck, but I've seen the scam happen.

You could even get the charity involved and have them collect the money directly. I've done some in the past with groups like MADD where we had a MADD representative attend and as a bonus they supplied small prizes, stickers, ribbons etc...
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 18:56   #3
Spawn28
I am manly hear me squeek

Send a message via MSN to Spawn28
We try to attend the one held every year at the LZ Ottawa They have a Food drive, Canned goods gain you entrance to event and im pretty sure it goes to the local food bank. Either way cool idea and it makes me feel good when i can play for a cause.

Didnt notice if they were having one this year but ill be hopefully making more than one appearance out there this year
Pretty Sure Ex will chime in to correct me if im wrong,

Last edited by Spawn28; March 14th, 2011 at 19:03..
Spawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 19:20   #4
coach
aka coachster

Food drives are always good as food banks are always in need of stock.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 19:23   #5
ex
Wanna buy some Nod's? #StolenValour

You bet we`re doing one again this year! It`s great to give back when we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn28 View Post
We try to attend the one held every year at the LZ Ottawa They have a Food drive, Canned goods gain you entrance to event and im pretty sure it goes to the local food bank. Either way cool idea and it makes me feel good when i can play for a cause.

Didnt notice if they were having one this year but ill be hopefully making more than one appearance out there this year
Pretty Sure Ex will chime in to correct me if im wrong,
Old March 14th, 2011, 20:29   #6
Cico

I would be all in for a food drive event. My issue is the cost of a field rental here as I do not own nor do i personally know a field owner.

I would like to do it for wounded warrior maybe even invite a few teams from the local military units to join in if they wish. (perhaps it would create more of an interest from the local COs to have a "friendly" competition) I know guys from my former Regt would be in.
A number of camo players just walked around with guns on their backs or hanging down with no kill indicators on them and expected players to know they are dead. I'm assuming most of these players drive BMW's and refuse to use the indicators because they know where they are going.
Cico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 19:21   #7
Dirtbag

We have them at least once a or twice a year. The field owner generally helps out so we get a good sized donation. But you have to plan well in advance and let everyone know what charity is involved.
Dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 22:31   #8
Matt 'Maverick' Watts

There are a lot of factors that can be looked at in hosting a charity game:
1) Fields will generally waive entry down to the cost of the insurance cost only as a donation as long as the charity will provide them with a receipt.
2) Any donation over $20.00 should come with a receipt for the donor (tax purposes)
3) Manufacturers/Retailers can generally provide product for a raffle to raise money, and again the receipt for it does wonders for getting good stuff.

It's an incredible ammount of work, but when you're done, the reward can be staggering. I've seen events raise $5000 - $20000 in a single day of paintball play for charity. If paintball can do that, airsoft certainly can.
Matt 'Maverick' Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:52   #9
liconoth

well i`m not a active canadian airsoft player, but, in my opinion the charity always is a good reason to play airsoft, the feel of help others is great. i support the charity game
liconoth is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General