Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Canadian Police Sidearms?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old February 23rd, 2014, 20:19   #31
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Q

Honestly, the biggest transferable skill would be movement over shooting. As someone who grew up around real steel, and a decade of airsoft, you'd be better of shooting a real 1911 to train to use a real glock, than practicing with an airsoft glock.

Airsoft can be rewarding and fun experience though.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 20:26   #32
erietdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
As I understand it, it was Part choice part necessity. The size of his hands made the trigger pull and the mag release cumbersome and inefficient enough that they assigned him something else.

I'll find out exactly what the circumstances were and updar, I'm curious now that I'm thinking about it.
Yeah, I've noticed that even using the largest backstrap possible, I still need to manipulate my hands uncomfortably on the G17 to hit the mag release and slide lock - I compared it with the blue training Glocks we're using in school, and it's the same size, enough so that my WE even fits into the Glock holsters we've got and works perfectly with them, so I assume it's 1:1 or as near as makes no difference to the RS.

If you wouldn't mind keeping me updated, even through a PM, I'd be grateful. I'd much rather use a sidearm that I'm comfortable with than one issued to me, if it were a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Honestly, the biggest transferable skill would be movement over shooting. As someone who grew up around real steel, and a decade of airsoft, you'd be better of shooting a real 1911 to train to use a real glock, than practicing with an airsoft glock.

Airsoft can be rewarding and fun experience though.
While I don't have much experience in RS pistols, I grew up around RS rifles probably just as you did, but more so hunting than punching paper. Part of our course in April is going out to the range and firing a multitude of rifles and pistols for the day, so I guess I'll get to see then what really works best for me.
erietdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 21:00   #33
mrdzicc

Edmonton Police use the Glock 22. If you get permission from your superiors you can use pretty much anything you want. And if I'm reading the Criminal Code properly that even includes prohibited firearms as well, but I could be wrong.

I think I've seen the pics of Wikipedia of the Montreal Tactical Team using Five-seveNs as well but it's Wikipedia so I can't confirm that definitively

I'm taking the Police Studies course at Grant Macewan then I'll probably be going EPS as well.
mrdzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 21:19   #34
Mcbain500

I can solve your whole problem:
Buy a real pistol 9 mm or larger learn to strip and clean it and get on the range and put a few thousand rounds threw it. Buying an airsoft pistol to get the feeling is a waste of time and money and won't help you one little bit.
Mcbain500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 21:19   #35
pancakedestroyer

If you get permission from your superiors you can use pretty much anything you want.

That statement, in regards to Eps is absolutely and entirely wrong.
pancakedestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 21:32   #36
erietdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdzicc View Post
Edmonton Police use the Glock 22. If you get permission from your superiors you can use pretty much anything you want. And if I'm reading the Criminal Code properly that even includes prohibited firearms as well, but I could be wrong.

I think I've seen the pics of Wikipedia of the Montreal Tactical Team using Five-seveNs as well but it's Wikipedia so I can't confirm that definitively

I'm taking the Police Studies course at Grant Macewan then I'll probably be going EPS as well.
I think the tactical units have a different set of guidelines, along with their standard firearms, but I could be wrong in that. A Five-seveN would be a brilliant firearm, but Canada doesn't like 5.7 too much, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbain500 View Post
I can solve your whole problem:
Buy a real pistol 9 mm or larger learn to strip and clean it and get on the range and put a few thousand rounds threw it. Buying an airsoft pistol to get the feeling is a waste of time and money and won't help you one little bit.
I plan on doing so once I can afford to do so, but until then, airsoft. I can spend 1/4 of the money, and get to use it at more than just a range. And, I can also setup a range in my basement with airsoft, and not have to worry about punching through 8" of concrete. Just a few layers of styrofoam, and I'm good to go.

And, I'm not buying airsoft for ONLY that reason, and if I've given that impression, I apologize - I do play as well, I'd just like to get the most out of my airsoft experience, if that makes sense.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 21:45   #37
cpgop

I'll just add my two cents.

Halton regional police, and peel regional are issued the S&W M&P .40, while the HRPS tactical team are issued the p226/p229.

I also dont mean to come off as "rude" but to be 100% frank. A police foundations course is essentially the Ontario Police College, with a few parts missing.
cpgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 21:50   #38
erietdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgop View Post
I'll just add my two cents.

Halton regional police, and peel regional are issued the S&W M&P .40, while the HRPS tactical team are issued the p226/p229.

I also dont mean to come off as "rude" but to be 100% frank. A police foundations course is essentially the Ontario Police College, with a few parts missing.
Never been a fan of the M&P, but always been a fan of the P226 - almost any pistol that resulted as a replacement-candidate for the 1911 I'm usually a fan of.

And, I agree, except the Police Foundations courses are a bit more thorough in the parts they do have, and extend it over a longer period allowing you to absorb more information. OPC, iirc, is 15 weeks, while most PoFo courses are at least a year, while others are longer. As far as I'm concerned, it's nice to have the background before going into it, as it gives you a better chance of being hired (not because of PoFo, but because of more education), and gives you background knowledge in the law so almost everything at OPC is more of a review than actual learning.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 21:56   #39
MaybeStopCalling
Green Synergy

For what it's worth the only guys I know getting into employment with the local agency (TPS) have had Bachelor's degrees, but to each their own. I know the MPs make it mandatory.

TPS carries Gen 3 Glock 22s in Serpa Level 3s, I see the occasional Gen 2 in someone's holster.

Peel carries the M&P .40 in a Safariland ALS holster, probably the 6360.

The MPs I ate lunch with back in 2010 had 9mm Sig Sauer P225s in what looked like Safariland 070s, though I was far less knowledgable at the time.

Fun fact, most, if not all police forces in Canada use DAO pistols- The sole exception are the MPs, but they're an arm of the armed forces. Nobody carries a Beretta anymore, as far as I'm concerned.
MaybeStopCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 22:12   #40
drk242

my 2 cents i know law enforcement members/services that use/ train with airsoft. i know 226, and systema.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 22:23   #41
MaybeStopCalling
Green Synergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Skeletor- View Post
Are you saying to become a MP, a bachelor's is required? Or Police Foundations(as the thread discusses it) is required? MPO requires a bachelors, MP requires Police Foundations or a similar program(that is approved by the CAF).
I meant Bachelor's in the case of Toronto Police, Foundations for MP (NCM)
Old February 23rd, 2014, 22:25   #42
Stealthee
a.k.a. cloaked

Don't take this the wrong way, but I wouldn't emphasize too much on the firearms aspect of policing. Unless you're a terrible shot or have low confidence holding one (shaky hands), focus more on experience (customer service jobs are good), character/morals/ethics and volunteering. Don't do anything unethical or immoral (fighting, excessive drinking/partying, 420, etc) from this point on, because it'll bite you in the ass (even your past history might affect your application).

I'm sure they'll have shooting tests that you'll need to pass and you can be 100% accurate, but it won't matter if you don't pass your psychological test. They want to know what kind of person you are. You don't want them to think that you just want to be a constable so that you can carry a gun, because some of the young guys think this way.
YouTube videos on field stripping or having airsoft (which you already have) should be sufficient to learn the basics/principles of handling a firearm (except for firing). They don't expect you to be a pro.

And yes, I did a lot of research in how to get into the force, because I'm interested too. I decided to do carpentry (because I like it) and see in a few years if I still want to become a constable. I heard they generally like to hire people 25-30 even though the minimum is 18, because they want people with more life experience. I think carpentry will do that for me by the time I hit that age bracket, plus I like it.
If you're not on the Blue Line Forum yet, I'd recommend that you go.
Stealthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 22:27   #43
graff

best part of police foundations is when a cop had an accidental discharge at the college here last year and didn't report it right away.
graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 23:30   #44
erietdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeStopCalling View Post
For what it's worth the only guys I know getting into employment with the local agency (TPS) have had Bachelor's degrees, but to each their own. I know the MPs make it mandatory.

TPS carries Gen 3 Glock 22s in Serpa Level 3s, I see the occasional Gen 2 in someone's holster.

Peel carries the M&P .40 in a Safariland ALS holster, probably the 6360.

The MPs I ate lunch with back in 2010 had 9mm Sig Sauer P225s in what looked like Safariland 070s, though I was far less knowledgable at the time.

Fun fact, most, if not all police forces in Canada use DAO pistols- The sole exception are the MPs, but they're an arm of the armed forces. Nobody carries a Beretta anymore, as far as I'm concerned.
I want to get a SERPA for whichever airsoft gun I end up getting, which is one of the main reasons I like the KSC's, as they're 1:1 compared to the RS. Interesting and informative post though, thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk242 View Post
my 2 cents i know law enforcement members/services that use/ train with airsoft. i know 226, and systema.
Which services do you know that train with airsoft? Not questioning, just want to know for future reference. Also, any particular brands aside from Systema that they use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but I wouldn't emphasize too much on the firearms aspect of policing. Unless you're a terrible shot or have low confidence holding one (shaky hands), focus more on experience (customer service jobs are good), character/morals/ethics and volunteering. Don't do anything unethical or immoral (fighting, excessive drinking/partying, 420, etc) from this point on, because it'll bite you in the ass (even your past history might affect your application).

I'm sure they'll have shooting tests that you'll need to pass and you can be 100% accurate, but it won't matter if you don't pass your psychological test. They want to know what kind of person you are. You don't want them to think that you just want to be a constable so that you can carry a gun, because some of the young guys think this way.
YouTube videos on field stripping or having airsoft (which you already have) should be sufficient to learn the basics/principles of handling a firearm (except for firing). They don't expect you to be a pro.

And yes, I did a lot of research in how to get into the force, because I'm interested too. I decided to do carpentry (because I like it) and see in a few years if I still want to become a constable. I heard they generally like to hire people 25-30 even though the minimum is 18, because they want people with more life experience. I think carpentry will do that for me by the time I hit that age bracket, plus I like it.
If you're not on the Blue Line Forum yet, I'd recommend that you go.
I've had customer service jobs in the past, even made supervisor in one of them, so I guess I'm off to a good start there. I've never been in a fight or been in trouble with the law, so I'm good there too.

Obviously I don't want to become an officer just to carry a gun, that'd be a stupid reason to go police. I want to become an officer because I believe I'd be good at upholding laws, and many people in my life have told me I'd be a good one. This is my 3rd diploma, and I'm receiving the best marks I ever had, so I'm guessing they were right. I also know they don't expect me to be a pro, but it's more of a personal thing than actual requirement - if I'm going to be issued a weapon, I'd rather know the ins and outs of it before ever being required to use it in a situation I may need to. Obviously these are only the extreme situations, but OPP are usually posted up north, where there are plenty of Native problems, so I could see myself using it more often within the first 2 years of employment than within the entire rest of my employment.

I've got a fair number of life experience thus far, having worked all across Canada, and having education in two separate fields (Motive Power, and Millwright), so I think I'm on the right path as far as experience goes. I haven't had to deal much with people aside from over the phone, which is why I want to get into a high-traffic security job, like at the London Health Sciences Center, once I graduate.

Thanks for the tips, I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graff View Post
best part of police foundations is when a cop had an accidental discharge at the college here last year and didn't report it right away.
A guy in my class fired off one of the airsoft guns at a desk accidentally on Friday, and didn't admit to it, even though everyone saw/heard it. Was the fastest I saw my prof kick someone out of the class for the day.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 23:32   #45
MaybeStopCalling
Green Synergy

I'd say the holster is more important than the gun, persay. Airsoft is horrible for training you to actually shoot. What it's good for is to practice movements, say like the draw of a pistol. It makes no sense to wear a Serpa when the department you want uses a Safariland... you waste muscle memory trying to learn both.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion