IR Lasers & DBAL's at games.

:

Accessories Discussion

Old January 27th, 2013, 23:09   #46
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Since you guys have already banned lasers on the field in your minds, there's no use arguing. So give me an alternative to using an IR laser that is as accurate and useful to aim with my NVD.
You sound like some entitled teenager. It's not anyone's responsibility to provide you with an alternative, it's your responsibility to not endanger your fellow player's safety. The real question here is why do you feel you have the right to use something that can ruin someone's eyesight to which they have no defence.

Chris is right, I hope this brings awareness to your local players about what you're using.

Last edited by Kozzie; January 27th, 2013 at 23:12..
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 00:59   #47
Slow
Loves Furries

This is quite funny, especially since you play with underage players Cactus.

If ASC were real life, there would be no Chuck Norris, only CDN_Stalker

MANITOBA IVAN
Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 14:43   #48
Cico

Now I'm going to pose this as an option from my perspective as a G&P Dbal owner that didnt relize when he bought it that the laser is not rated safe. If i was to come to the game and use my Dbal in the iluminator finction with the focus being down to a minimal setting(looking like a laser) would that constitue disregard for the rules as I am not using the laser function? I am more than willing to submit myself to the testing with the device that C3SK has to vefiy intensity prior to use as I do not want to knowingly cause eye injury. Now the only issue in my doing the above that i see arising is the he said she said of wether or not I am on the laser setting as the illimunotor and designator are housed in the same box. If i was on the flipside of this I would alow this to happen with a seasoned and trustworth player that I/the community have played along side with in the past with no other issues.
A number of camo players just walked around with guns on their backs or hanging down with no kill indicators on them and expected players to know they are dead. I'm assuming most of these players drive BMW's and refuse to use the indicators because they know where they are going.
Cico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 16:37   #49
z0ng

The light meter I have is not currently available for rent but I don't mind bringing it out to games to help gauge what the output strength is of a device at 850nm wavelength.

As I explained in my previous post a light meter measuring a specific wavelength is not a reliable means of declaring a laser eye-safe. It does not tell you what the operating wavelength of the laser is so you might be getting an inaccurate reading. Before I would approve an untrusted laser for use I would test it first on a spectrum analyzer to see what the peak wavelenth is and how powerful the output is at that frequency.

For these DBAL clones for instance, can anyone answer the following questions:

Is the peak wavelength emitted by the laser 850nm?
What is the spectral width of the laser?

Think of a radio for instance, if you tune near the station you start picking up the signal but at a lower strength. As you tune to the exact center frequency of the station you see the full strength. This is a similar concept, the light meter is set for 850nm, but the laser's peak wavelength (or center frequency) could be 900nm, the light meter measuring at 850nm at this point will give a value that is below the actual output power of the 900nm laser. This value would be either larger or smaller depending on the spectral width of the laser.

-------------

In short, using light meters alone to measure the strength of an unknown laser is not sufficient evidence to deem the laser eye-safe.

Team GHOSTS G-42
How to fix your WE M4 Mags
z0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 16:48   #50
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is the illuminator on the g&p dbal a defocused laser?
c3sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 16:55   #51
Derpystronk

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3sk View Post
Is the illuminator on the g&p dbal a defocused laser?
I spent some time with one and I'm willing to say that it's a defocused laser. It also focuses right back down to a dot that is brighter than the normal IR dot on the unit.
Old January 28th, 2013, 17:15   #52
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltastone View Post
I spent some time with one and I'm willing to say that it's a defocused laser. It also focuses right back down to a dot that is brighter than the normal IR dot on the unit.
PEQ-15, PEQ-2, and other ATPIAL Illuminators are eye safe out past 27 meters in training mode, within 27 meters there is an ocular hazard risk. It's still a Class 3A, and requires direct contact with the eye for over two minutes to cause serious damage to the retina.

So, using the dbal's illuminator, focused. could be causing eye damage to your target. Defocused is going to be safer (depending on the range)

I just wouldn't chance it to be honest.
Just save up the money and buy the eye safe lightsabers
Then you don't need to worry about melting someone's retinas. lol

Edit, forgot to mention:

I remember at Shallow Lake 2, I was beamed in the face. I thought it was a designator, but a defocused beam would make much more sense considering I was able to see the focal point of the device. User obviously wasn't aiming at my face, but it probably ended up there since I hit the dirt and went prone. I was wearing my nods and thus my eyes were nice and protected, and of course my natural reaction was to look away.

There was no damage done to anything, so its all good. At that range I doubt it would have done anything, especially considering it was quite defocused.

This is pretty much what you're dealing with.

Last edited by c3sk; January 28th, 2013 at 17:38..
c3sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 18:11   #53
FirestormX

Quote:
And some people have been shot in the eye with BBs, so you think we should stop shooting BBs at eachother? lol
The problem is that people are able to wear protective eyewear that are supposed to stop the BBs. We don't wear anything meant to keep IR lasers out of our eyes.

Quote:
Besides, I've employed and seen employed some things that are FAR more dangerous than IR lasers at airsoft games with no complaints... At least when I was using dangerous stuff I explained the risk to everyone
I've seen you around ASC long enough to know that you should know people don't like the attitude of "no one complained, so what's the problem?"
I can see your point of "I'm responsible with it", and I'd probably want to be doing the same. I'm not trying to attack you, but I'm surprised to see you post something like this.

Edit: Crap, there were two more pages of discussion I missed. Disregard this I suppose. =/
FirestormX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 18:25   #54
ShelledPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cico View Post
Now I'm going to pose this as an option from my perspective as a G&P Dbal owner that didnt relize when he bought it that the laser is not rated safe.

If i was to come to the game and use my Dbal in the iluminator finction with the focus being down to a minimal setting(looking like a laser) would that constitue disregard for the rules as I am not using the laser function?

I am more than willing to submit myself to the testing with the device that C3SK has to vefiy intensity prior to use as I do not want to knowingly cause eye injury.

Now the only issue in my doing the above that i see arising is the he said she said of wether or not I am on the laser setting as the illimunotor and designator are housed in the same box. If i was on the flipside of this I would alow this to happen with a seasoned and trustworth player that I/the community have played along side with in the past with no other issues.
The bolded above is really important, so I'm going to answer this as it was passed over by everyone else.

It is NOT the game hosts' job to determine if an individual's equipment is safe for use.

It is also NOT ok to "clear" knock off equipment because a tool we use can determine it's output. It could be a fluke. It could be low based on unforeseen variables.

If the device does not have official documentation about eye safety that can be checked, it should not be shone at any human or animal.

We used the tool z0ng brought out to get an idea what these devices with documentation are outputting, and it fell within our expected range. Which is great. We can also measure the knock off kit. But it does not make the knock off kit safe if it falls within the ranges of safety. We do not know enough about the laser's to be screwing around with other people's eyes.

I cannot stress this enough. Please do not use fake lasers at games.

(Cico, this is not aimed at you, I know I sound a little course here, but I really need to bang this home, I see fake lasers all the time and I've been hit with green lasers... not a fun experience.)

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 22:04   #55
bean
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to bean
http://shop.rampartcorp.com/category_s/1840.htm nuff said
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 22:42   #56
Derpystronk

Hold up hold up... Did you just link me to a site that is based in Canada and that may or may not have IR Lasers to sell me as a civilian?

Bean. I love you.
Old January 28th, 2013, 22:48   #57
pugs144

He did and they will.
pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 22:56   #58
mmmken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltastone View Post
Hold up hold up... Did you just link me to a site that is based in Canada and that may or may not have IR Lasers to sell me as a civilian?

Bean. I love you.
Rampart posted this a few days ago on CGN. Basically it includes a $300 non-refundable paperwork fee that they charge with no guarantee that it'll be approved. Should the export application be declined, there goes your $300.

Risky and very pricey. Although Rampart isn't making any money on the $300 (it goes to the US Gov't), I'm not sure I'm convinced.
Old January 28th, 2013, 23:11   #59
Derpystronk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmken View Post
Rampart posted this a few days ago on CGN. Basically it includes a $300 non-refundable paperwork fee that they charge with no guarantee that it'll be approved. Should the export application be declined, there goes your $300.

Risky and very pricey. Although Rampart isn't making any money on the $300 (it goes to the US Gov't), I'm not sure I'm convinced.
I would say they wouldn't even offer it unless DoD / DHS / whatever is cool with it. As long as you don't really have a pretty prejudice-y last name or are on some sort of denied persons list I would expect you to clear the paperwork?

Yeah, it's still a risk... But if the US Government was going to deny every application why would a company even offer it?
Old January 28th, 2013, 23:24   #60
FlyGuy

For the lucky few of us PEQ-15 users out there...

Depending upon who's data sheet you read, the L3/Insight ATPIAL AN/PEQ-15's IR-lo setting is either 0.7 mW or 0.6 mW which means it would be considered Class 1, or on the very low end of Class 3a. I've seen it listed both ways on technical data sheets so it's that close. Either way however, the low-power lockout ensures a real-deal PEQ-15 IR laser remains in this regime at all times and is considered eye-safe under normal circumstances. (ie. Normal means avoiding prolonged continuous direct exposure...key words being "prolonged", "continuous" and "direct")

For everyone else...

To use anything else but a stamped/certified real-deal Class 1 or 3a laser emitter (see Bean's post above) means you will be using it alone in the privacy of your own home and not on any airsoft field. Though I don't speak for game hosts, I would hope that if caught, failure to comply with this necessary safety measure would grant you an immediate and indefinite ejection/ban from games, a public shaming here on ASC, and possibly further sanction. Eye safety is serious $hit people so give it the respect it deserves!

Now save your pesos and go buy from Rampart and be safe...

'Fly

Team GHOSTS - Fides et Amicitia
G-68

"Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I"

Learning To Fly
© 1986 Pink Floyd
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion