Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

V3 gearbox help (G36)

:

Doctor's Corner

Old July 30th, 2019, 12:59   #1
sly mantis

V3 gearbox help (G36)

Hi Everyone

Looking for some assistance on a G36 i recently picked up. I picked this up as a fixer upper with known issues as i wanted this to be a first airsoft rifle i could learn how to do tech work on (so i may use some wrong terminology for parts on here as im still very new to this). Seller said the previous owner had done internal work and when i got it the gun would fire in semi when on safe and full auto on semi. Selector would not go into full auto.

So i opened it up and removed the gear box (marked Taiwan, anyone know manufacturer). Upon looking at it i noticed a few things. It appear to be missing the front and top mounting points for a G36 gearbox and the trigger was very short (noticed this when i first got it). I think i have come to the realization that a previous owner put an AK gearbox in this G36 and thus these parts are missing.

I also noticed looking at pictures of g36 gearboxes that the issue i have with the selector might be related to the selector plate and the metal internal parts (i think its called the cut off). from what ive seen the channel on the selector plate that the selector lever is suppose to slide into when assembling the gun (selector on semi) should not yet be moving the cutoff when positioned just to the right of the gearbox tab that holds the cutoff. But as you can see in the pictures, i can only slide the plate far back enough to JUST clear the tab. Am i correct in assuming this is the issue? If so is this an issue with the plate or the cutoff?

As far as missing parts to get this to work in the g36, if anyone knows the names of the parts and/or where i can find them for a good price it would be appreciated. These are what i think i need:
-Top gearbox mounting point
-Front/lower gearbox mounting point
-the right side safety part
-trigger

Your help is appreciated.

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190730_240018743.jpg (368.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190728_100941287_HDR.jpg (337.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190729_235937276.jpg (215.7 KB, 7 views)
sly mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2019, 14:06   #2
That_Limey_Brit

I've managed to find all the missing parts you need, but they come from all over internationally.
My advice to you, missing all those external G36 Gearbox parts would be to buy a replacement gearbox. I'll keep searching for any other spares and I'll update post and PM you what I find...

Seems like you're right, that's a standard V3, probably from an AK (minus the selector gears), the original owner slapped a G36 selector on and thought: "job done!".
As for the manufacturer, it could be anyone. Irrelevant really. They're mostly compatible. The gearbox you want (with the upper mount) is built to the original TM spec.
I seem to recall working on a brand that didn't use the upper rear mount, this is not it.

Regarding your selector, it's hard to invisage your problem, but I don't think the plate is responsible for the shifting of your fire select. In your first image, the cut off lever is engaged. This would be SEMI or SAFE (if you had the parts for safety). The second image, the cut off is disengaged and therefore in AUTO. Long and short: the selector plate is doing it's job.

If you can't turn the selector any further clockwise into AUTO, maybe you need to check the selector switch is set up correctly, are you sure you've got the right switch on the right side?
Old July 30th, 2019, 15:52   #3
RainyEyes

Generally speaking it's gonna be a problem with the selector plate or the switch itself.

I had an mp5 do this on me when I swapped a g&g selector plate on a CA one, and did some fiddling around with the selector switch itself.

Save yourself the headache; get OEM parts if you can. The only difference between a g36 and an ak gearbox is the nozzle length so even if you swapped it with a g36 selector plate it should still work. Only thing now is that the selector switch or the selector plate may be off spec or wrong brand so it's not on the right firing mode when you switch.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2019, 19:27   #4
Ratters

G@#!$#%!36

I would have to agree. Try finding the correct gearbox or pick up another G36. Good ones can be found for $180-$200. If you find an Ares, whatever you do, DO NOT press that anti-reversal "little black button" under the trigger guard during operation of the gun, #ohshitbutton

Most disconnect it
Old July 30th, 2019, 20:22   #5
sly mantis

Thank you for the feedback. buying a new gearbox will be the last resort for this. Im hoping i can find the required parts for cheap somewhere. Will probably post a wtb if i can ever get age verified in TO. Im hoping maybe someone has a junk g36 gearbox laying around that they wouldnt mind selling the needed parts, or maybe someone that picked up a boneyard g36.

I think i figured out the selector issue. Looking at pictures of completed gearboxes i noticed that the cut-off on them doesnt have an extra "nub" that rides on the selector plate. I dont know if this is because this may be an ak cut-off (or if they're even suppose to be different), but this nub is causing the cutoff to lift early.

As it sits now, when you position the plate to where it is suppose to be for install (selector in semi) the top channel should be just to the right of the gearbox tab that holds the spring to the cut-off and the cut-off shouldnt be lifted. But with that extra tab, it is already lifted in this position. So ill either need to get a new cutoff or grind that tab off this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190728_100941287_HDR.jpg (320.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg matrix-28112.jpg (79.9 KB, 6 views)
sly mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner