Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Cheap fix to toughen Cyclone Impact Grenades!

:

Doctor's Corner

Old March 24th, 2016, 20:44   #1
The Legacy

Cheap fix to toughen Cyclone Impact Grenades!

Hi there!

I got the chance to try out the Cyclone Impact Grenade at an airsoft game last weekend, and so far, I'm quite impressed with it! However, I've been told by some knowledgeable people that Cyclones have the tendency to break when thrown too hard; the weak point, from what I've heard, is the plastic ring the holds the bottom on.

Being an electrician, I'm knowledgeable about a number of different tools and materials as part of the trade. One of these materials that immediately came to mind, is something called "Rubber Splicing Tape". This tape is basically a roll of rubber that, when wrapped repeatedly around something, sticks to itself, and insulates electrical equipment quite well - far more than electrical tape.

Being rubber, I had a brainwave, and I was thinking that it may also work well as a protective layer for the plastic cap; the top and bottom of the grenade is rubber, and thus can take the impacts of a heavy throw. By wrapping the ring a few times, while being mindful of the gaps which are important for removing/attaching the bottom, I think it's going to make a big difference in its longevity.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a way to test whether this fix actually helps or not (as doing so would be breaking it). However, after doing a few test drops, and noticing a difference in its impact, I think it's a good idea. The roll of tape is roughly $6.00 at your local hardware store, and one roll should be enough to do a dozen grenades!

To apply, simply hold one end with your thumb, and wrap it very tightly. Wrapping tightly causes it to fold inward, which is handy since it protects the corners from damage. When wrapping, ensure that you are mindful of the gaps on the top, which is where the base of the grenade would fit.

I should also say that there's no reason why you can't wrap this around other parts of the grenade, or even wrap other breakable equipment! You could also use it to make a cheap-man's magpull. :P

Hope this helps!

Tape, assembled grenade, and disassembled grenade.

[I][A closeup of the rubber layer that I applied to the caps./I]

Overhead view of the taped cap; note the gaps that I made special note to leave open.

Here's the magpull idea I had. :P

Last edited by The Legacy; March 24th, 2016 at 20:51..
The Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 07:06   #2
br0k3nsa1nt

I actually use this tape to replace seals in gas mags.

br0k3nsa1nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 08:00   #3
AnthonyG
LUser Title

Looks good. I was thinking about doing something similar with hockey tape, but this looks like it works better.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

*Busy signing for his packages*
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 08:54   #4
SuperCriollo

I found that the small rubber gasket on the bottom came loose, making reassemble pretty annoying. Any idea how to glue it back ?

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 19:01   #5
The Legacy

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

@SuperCriollo - Sorry for my late reply. I strongly recommend -not gluing the gasket, in case it needs replacement. You should be able to use your finger to slide it back into the groove. If it's to loose, then it may need replacement. Also, if you can't slide it into place, because the plunger is almost pushed into the grenade, push the opposite side down, until the plunger comes out, reposition the gasket, and push the plunger back in. This happened to me once, and this fixed the issue.
The Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 19:17   #6
AnthonyG
LUser Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legacy View Post
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

@SuperCriollo - Sorry for my late reply. I strongly recommend -not gluing the gasket, in case it needs replacement. You should be able to use your finger to slide it back into the groove. If it's to loose, then it may need replacement. Also, if you can't slide it into place, because the plunger is almost pushed into the grenade, push the opposite side down, until the plunger comes out, reposition the gasket, and push the plunger back in. This happened to me once, and this fixed the issue.
I think you two are talking about different gaskets. SuperCriollo is talking about the gasket in the third image. The one that sits in channels of the end cap, not the o-ring on the brass centre pin.

I've also had the pain of trying to re-set the gasket every time I remove the end cap. Very annoying, since it only fits one way. Might take some super-glue too it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

*Busy signing for his packages*
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 21:20   #7
SuperCriollo

Yup, I'm taking about the one that looks like a Mercedes Benz logo lol. It is loose in both of my grenades, and placing it on its spot everytime I put back the end cap is really annoying.

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2016, 05:06   #8
MadMax
Delierious Designer of Dastardly Detonations

Location: in the dark recesses of some metal chip filled machine shop
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCriollo View Post
Yup, I'm taking about the one that looks like a Mercedes Benz logo lol. It is loose in both of my grenades, and placing it on its spot everytime I put back the end cap is really annoying.
Fill out a support ticket and say that the gasket in your end cap came loose.

https://www.airsoft-innovations.com/pages/contact-us

We'll send you a replacement end cap.

MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner