Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

King Arms vs Classic Army FN

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old March 4th, 2009, 03:35   #1
Mr.Shiney

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Shiney
King Arms vs Classic Army FN

So I would like to get an FN. I would prefer the CA FN SA 58 OSW. However at this time Classic Army does not make mid or low cap mags. So would King Arms FN mags fit the Classic Army FN, or would they require modification?

One other question who makes a better AEG specifically for the FN product??

Ubique
Osons

Michael
Mr.Shiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:06   #2
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
http://www.aatv.at/review.htm

Go down to the FNC/FAL/SA58 review. These are awesome, funny guys.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:14   #3
Mr.Shiney

Thanks for that

So that did help me make up my mind. I did read in another post that the KingArms mags may not be usable in the Classic Army AEGs.

So three questions then:

1) Would the MV (fps) they displayed on the Classic Army AEG be typical of all factory settings for the OSW?

2) How difficulty would be to upgrade the MV (fps)?

3) Any Idea when a low or mid cap mag might become available for the Classic Army OSW?

Ubique
Osons

Michael
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:56   #4
m102404
Tys

Don't know about the CA SA58. A buddy had one and said it was quite easy to work on.

I've worked on my own and 2 other KA FALs. They're really very nice.

Velocity out of the box was 350 on my KA FAL Para and a bit higher on the full length FAL. Another buddy bought the Tactical version...I suspect that it shoots just under 350fps.

As you've found out...KA FAL mags do not work in the CA FAL. That is the #1 reason why myself and others bought the KA version.

The KA fal is a little different to get into...but once you're into it, it's just a plain old (but nicely built) version 3 mechbox.

To bump the power level to 398fps, I did the following:
- MB 6.03 tightbore
- Modify SIG airseal nozzle
- Modfiy bearing spring guide
- regular reshimming, etc....

I did replace the hopup rubber with a Guarder clear...and it shoots beautifully.

If you find the iron sight to be too low for you...a RIS dust cover works perfectly with a low mount RDS.

Have fun, best of luck.

Tys
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:12   #5
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
330 - 332 out of the box to be exact, the classic army wont fit the KA mags the locking knob that KA have on their mag is different from the CA ones and the KA mags are just a wee bit thinner.

Currently I just replace my hop up rubber with a systema ones I have a RIS scope mount, nozzle and a tightbore coming in for it.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:20   #6
Mr.Shiney

I just emailed Classic Army as to find out the possibility of Low and/or Mid Cap mags.

So once I get my SA 58 OSW. I will investigate how I can upgrade it, and if I feel comfortable in doing so.

Does the gear box need any modification or cleaning or regreasing?

Ubique
Osons

Michael
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:28   #7
wildcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Shiney View Post
I just emailed Classic Army as to find out the possibility of Low and/or Mid Cap mags.

So once I get my SA 58 OSW. I will investigate how I can upgrade it, and if I feel comfortable in doing so.

Does the gear box need any modification or cleaning or regreasing?

Ubique
Osons

Michael
Don't know about the newer CA stuff, It's been a while since I touched them but one of the things that always failed first on the CA box are their tappet plate and on some, the shimmings are horrible that's why I went for the KA ones they are as reliable as a TM out of the box so far my KA FAL is shooting sweet even with the additional weight of a grenade launcher in the front.
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:28   #8
Crunchmeister

Don't really know anything about either gun, but I did get to take a nice look at m102404's FAL at Border Wars 2 and it was a very nice, very solid gun. FAL isn't really my thing, but man, this was one solid piece of metal with excellent attention to detail. If I was to get one, just by the info in this thread about mags and my handling of his gun, it would be KA all the way, even though I'm a big fan of CA guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
Don't know about the newer CA stuff, It's been a while since I touched them but one of the things that always failed first on the CA box are their tappet plate and on some, the shimmings are horrible
My CA M15 is just over a year old. Internals are solid. Put about 20k rounds before cracking it open to replace some parts. The Systema parts (piston and tappet plate) didn't survive 500 rounds before both breaking. I replaced them wiht the stock parts, and the gun's been running with them since. I'd say that's pretty durable. And the shim job in mine was excellent. I've never touched the shimming on it despite opening the box a few times.

Last edited by Crunchmeister; March 4th, 2009 at 10:30..
Crunchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:37   #9
wildcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
Don't really know anything about either gun, but I did get to take a nice look at m102404's FAL at Border Wars 2 and it was a very nice, very solid gun. FAL isn't really my thing, but man, this was one solid piece of metal with excellent attention to detail. If I was to get one, just by the info in this thread about mags and my handling of his gun, it would be KA all the way, even though I'm a big fan of CA guns.

My CA M15 is just over a year old. Internals are solid. Put about 20k rounds before cracking it open to replace some parts. The Systema parts (piston and tappet plate) didn't survive 500 rounds before both breaking. I replaced them wiht the stock parts, and the gun's been running with them since. I'd say that's pretty durable. And the shim job in mine was excellent. I've never touched the shimming on it despite opening the box a few times.
Crunchy,
you are one of the luckier ones one of my old teamate got the CA25 the first mag out of the box resulted in stripped gear, the problem repeat itself twice so finally when we compared the box with another we discovered that one half of the Mechbox was not alligned properly so the piston would move as one side of teh box was sitting a fraction off. The CA stuff are a hit and miss some of their stuff are great, hell I still use one of their 1st gen metal body for my HK51.
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:46   #10
Mr.Shiney

Okay, So lets say I do get the CA SA58 OSW. And something such as the tappet plate does need to be replaced or the Shims need to be adjusted. How difficult would that be to do. Keep in mind this would be my first AEG, but I do have many years experience with both real firearms and paintball markers.

Then how would I increase the Muzzle Velocity?

Ubique
Osons

Michael
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:00   #11
m102404
Tys

Increasing velocity is pretty straightforward...but the devil's in the details.

Essentially you're going to swap the spring for a stronger one (and it'll push the piston faster...etc...).

You'll want to dig around for a CA SA58 disassembly tutorial...although from what I've heard...it's quite straightforward to get the mechbox out.

You'll also want to reference mechbox.com and look at Version 3 mechboxes...aside from different gears/levers on the outside, the physical trigger, the selector plate and air nozzle...they're all pretty much the same inside.

You'll want to search around this site and others for "shimming". There's some great write ups already on what to do.

You'll also want to search for "compression testing".

If at all possible...get someone to give you a run-down of what's what in person...it's sooooo much easier to figure it out first hand than through reading web-pages.

Note: Once you upgrade one component...you'll be putting the other parts under more strain/stress. Once you do that...the rate of what/when the parts will fail increases. Parts wear...that's a fact of life. Without knowing exactly what's in there and what power/speeds you're trying to hit...it's hard to say what exactly should be replaced.

In general, look at the following for compression:
- piston to cylinder seal
- cylinder head to cylinder seal
- air nozzle to cylinder head seal

Look at the following for durability/strength:
- spring guide
- piston body
- piston head
- tappet plate
- shimming

Best of luck,

Tys
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:27   #12
Disco_Dante

If you're worried about no Low Caps, just get that 1000 round highcap CA makes and tell people you're using a C2.

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:49   #13
Mr.Shiney

Or just some one who snagged a C1 with some C2 Mags

Good Thinking
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:51   #14
Disco_Dante

C2 allows you to use highcaps at events like Border Wars, or other serious MILSIMs.

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:09   #15
Mr.Shiney

Okay, makes sense. Now just have to snag a couple of the 30rd mags
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion