:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old July 14th, 2009, 18:52   #1
MrBond
formerly tattoodan

Drill Sergeant Joe B. Fricks Rules For A Gunfight

Alot are relevant to airsoft...

Quote:
1. Forget about knives, bats and fists. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Bring four times the ammunition you think you could ever need.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammunition is cheap - life is expensive. If you shoot inside, buckshot is your friend. A new wall is cheap - funerals are expensive

3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

5. Move away from your attacker and go to cover. Distance is your friend. (Bulletproof cover and diagonal or lateral movement are preferred.)

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a semi or full-automatic long gun and a friend with a long gun.

7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running. Yell "Fire!" Why "Fire"? Cops will come with the Fire Department, sirens often scare off the bad guys, or at least cause then to lose concentration and will.... and who is going to summon help if you yell "Intruder," "Glock" or "Winchester?"

9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

11. Stretch the rules. Always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

12. Have a plan.

13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work. "No battle plan ever survives 10 seconds past first contact with an enemy."

14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible, but remember, sheetrock walls and the like stop nothing but your pulse when bullets tear through them.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

16. Don't drop your guard.

17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees. Practice reloading one-handed and off-hand shooting. That's how you live if hit in your "good" side.

18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. Smiles, frowns and other facial expressions don't (In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.)

19. Decide NOW to always be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.

20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet if necessary, because they may want to kill you.

22. Be courteous to everyone, overly friendly to no one.

23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

24. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with anything smaller than "4".

25. Use a gun that works EVERY TIME. "All skill is in vain when an Angel blows the powder from the flintlock of your musket." At a practice session, throw you gun into the mud, then make sure it still works. You can clean it later.

26. Practice shooting in the dark, with someone shouting at you, when out of breath, etc.

27. Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature.

28. The only thing you EVER say afterwards is, "He said he was going to kill me. I believed him. I'm sorry, Officer, but I'm very upset now. I can't say anything more. Please speak with my attorney."

Finally, Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.

1. Never be unarmed.

Ref.: http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...es-gunfighting

Team Mandrills

Last edited by MrBond; July 14th, 2009 at 23:12..
MrBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 19:16   #2
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
This is awesome, even though some of those are re-re-re-re-re-re-re-rehashed from a ton of other lists. But dont they say "perfection comes out of repetition" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 19:22   #3
Thenooblord
Can't fix my own guns. Willing to fix yours.

Send a message via MSN to Thenooblord
I love the last one, lol.

Words to live by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
The apartment I am in right now costs $100 a month.
My average spending on food per day is less than $4.
My airsoft spending in the last month and a half has totaled over $1400.
They're called priorities. Get yourself some.
Thenooblord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 19:26   #4
jtjcheng

Awesome!

A gun has them all...
jtjcheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 00:10   #5
mattb348

LOL thats quite the list. A lot of good advice in there. A lot of funny advice in there as well heh heh heh. BTW most of it sounds like it is geared towards REAL gun battles though!

Old July 27th, 2009, 00:21   #6
Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb348 View Post
LOL thats quite the list. A lot of good advice in there. A lot of funny advice in there as well heh heh heh. BTW most of it sounds like it is geared towards REAL gun battles though!
It is.

Airsoft should be treated like real gun battles. Makes for a more fun playing atmosphere (even if most of the RS stuff isn't transferable).
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:54   #7
battlerager

I dissagree with the very first line of the very first one.
If nothing else in your life will work, a knife never fails. Assuming you know where to put it.

To beat you to it. Yes a knife is useless against a gun at range (basically any range past the end of your knife) but always remember; A knife doesn't jam, and a blade doesn't need relaoding,
Old September 21st, 2010, 18:59   #8
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

But u must remember to keep that knife sharp, you wouldnt fire blanks in a real fight, nor should u fight with a dull knife!
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 21:18   #9
Windows

Please correct me if i'm wrong but I thought military personell purposely kept their knives a little dull in order to inflict more damage.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 23:36   #10
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
Please correct me if i'm wrong but I thought military personell purposely kept their knives a little dull in order to inflict more damage.
ok... consider yourself corrected

if you are going to have a knife make sure it is sharp... a dull knife is more dangerous to you.

you want your knife to cut clean and fast...
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 23:56   #11
Danke

I would really doubt anyone in their right mind would carry a dull knife for the purpose of inflicting more severe damage.

Bayonets aren't usually razor sharp but they're used to spear with, not to cut. As a rule soldiers are told not to sharpen a bayonet, simply for the reason that chances are you'll make a mess of the blade. The exception to that is some bayonets that double as utility knives and are expected to be sharp enough to cut with. Some will come with a stone on the scabbard to address this.

There are rules of war about using weapons with thing like a blunted point that would result in prolonged suffering.
Old September 29th, 2010, 13:22   #12
battlerager

You wouldn't grind any fighting knife to a razor edge. Dulls to quickly, it would go from cutting you just for looking at it to being unable to cut butter with nothing in between.
Obviously it need to have a sharp edge, I'm just pointing out that you wouldn't want a razor edge.
And if you really wanted to mess some guys day up you would use a serrated blade. Shreds the flesh instead or making a clean cut. Harder to heal, and easier to get depth on the cut (hopefully hitting something important)

Last edited by battlerager; September 29th, 2010 at 13:24..
battlerager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 15:10   #13
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerager View Post
You wouldn't grind any fighting knife to a razor edge. Dulls to quickly, it would go from cutting you just for looking at it to being unable to cut butter with nothing in between.
Obviously it need to have a sharp edge, I'm just pointing out that you wouldn't want a razor edge.
I strongly disagree. I can shave with my carry knife and it stays that sharp even after I dig with it. Perhaps you need to upgrade your knife. And even if it did dull between his belt and his breastbone, it's still going to be sharper than if you started with anything less than razor sharp.

Dull knives require more effort to cut, that translates into a loss of control if it slips or moves suddenly through what you are cutting. People who cut themselves do so due to a lack of attention, not because a sharp knife is more dangerous.
Old September 30th, 2010, 16:58   #14
Ninja_En_Short

Send a message via MSN to Ninja_En_Short
+1, My knife for GB repairs (very usefull) might not be razor sharp, but my combat knife I use for demonstration to my trainees is high carbon steel and cut easily through metal and actually capable of piercing some "bladeproof" vests.
All you have to do is maintaining it like any piece of gear.

Gun doc in Montreal on AEG, GBB, GBBR and Bolt rifle (gaz and spring)
Heavy custom builder (including painting)

Ninja_En_Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:56   #15
Pivot
formerly OlUncleGearHead

I always cite these at the beginning of a pistol course I teach.

Check out my Gear and Clothing Sales thread, and my Parts and Accessories thread.
Pivot is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures