:

Newbie Tank

Closed Thread

Old July 15th, 2009, 12:09   #76
Rubs

Send a message via MSN to Rubs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
I want pics of his parent's faces when they discover he built trenches in their garden.

Old July 15th, 2009, 12:10   #77
ujiro

Send a message via MSN to ujiro
Going to have to agree with pus on this one. 3/4 an acre isn't that much land.. Could be easily seen by others. And the kid is going against our advice, and not realizing all of the real safety hazards there will be, especially if he does a half-assed job of building the stuff (which is easy to assume since he is a kid and probably doesn't have the funds or the inclination to do a proper job on this stuff).
And where did he and his friends get his guns in the first place? We shouldn't be condoning underagers buying guns and then playing with them in a backyard.. This is what ASC has been opposed to for years! Why change all of a sudden?
I am not flaming the kid, but I am going to say what everyone else who agrees with me is saying.

Wait until you are 18, and go out to real local fields with real airsofters and they can teach you the right way of doing things. Even once you are 16, I bet some of the fields will let you come and play with parental supervision/participation. But for now, many of us here at ASC are not going to condone kids who are under 18 making their own unsafe fields in their backyard, and then having them and their friends play with it (probably unsupervised) with guns they shouldn't have been able to get.
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:18   #78
Rubs

Send a message via MSN to Rubs
+1 on this one. My brother is sitting out and waiting until his 18 to play. He's 15 right now, and instead of buying guns and gear, he's looking at mine and learning from the tips I give him. He's mature enough to understand that these guns can be dangerous and there is reasons behind ASC has a limit on what age can play, this is not paintball.

Underage airsofters will always be around but personally for me, they won't receive any of my advice until they are 18 because they are not mature enough to understand there's an age limit for these things and since they won't listen to advice of waiting on 18+, are they really going to listen to advice on what brands, guns, ect? Kids, will be kids. Their parents are responsible if something goes wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujiro View Post
Going to have to agree with pus on this one. 3/4 an acre isn't that much land.. Could be easily seen by others. And the kid is going against our advice, and not realizing all of the real safety hazards there will be, especially if he does a half-assed job of building the stuff (which is easy to assume since he is a kid and probably doesn't have the funds or the inclination to do a proper job on this stuff).
And where did he and his friends get his guns in the first place? We shouldn't be condoning underagers buying guns and then playing with them in a backyard.. This is what ASC has been opposed to for years! Why change all of a sudden?
I am not flaming the kid, but I am going to say what everyone else who agrees with me is saying.

Wait until you are 18, and go out to real local fields with real airsofters and they can teach you the right way of doing things. Even once you are 16, I bet some of the fields will let you come and play with parental supervision/participation. But for now, many of us here at ASC are not going to condone kids who are under 18 making their own unsafe fields in their backyard, and then having them and their friends play with it (probably unsupervised) with guns they shouldn't have been able to get.
Old July 15th, 2009, 15:39   #79
af122

more like couple of boards placed to together for walls, maybe a few foxholes. little things like that but nothing too major. and its out in the bush where ppl have already built bike jumps (out of wood) and ramps and things so that's why we werent too sure. the place itself is used for bush parties all the time, and i know one of the other places here (same idea...bush party place) the cops dont really do anything unless its extreme ie- somone getting shot haha

my bad this was in response to L437ncy

Last edited by af122; July 15th, 2009 at 15:43..
Old July 15th, 2009, 17:45   #80
T-Hell

Originally Posted by T-Hell View Post
I look at it this way.... People (under age - or otherwise) will play airsoft we can't control that right.....

Of course we can, this is our sport to protect and it is our right to.

well yes we play it so if that makes us the official body sure I guess so... but like i said people don't need ASC's permission to play in Canada only need permission here to buy guns from ASC so really the sport is open.

so what we can control is their opinions of the "Airsoft community" and when these people get old enough they will either be part of or be apart from the community.

By showing them that we will not bend the rules for them no matter how creative or mature they play themselves off to be, this one isn't very mature as he's already displayed his spoiled brat attitude of "I'm gonna do it whether you like it or not

Ok well yes we can be inflexibe and not bend but sooner or later these "kids" will be old enough and basically look back on ASC and say "Screw them" so is that what you really want. l

Please lets stop bashing underage players...

No one's bashing this guy, it's a stupid idea and he isn't the one responsible, you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder from being bashed yourself.

Nope never been bashed here but I see it a lot here just the attitude once many of the ASC community finds out that the person is underage changes and I am sure if you took a pole of the -18's they would say that they feel less then welcome by ASC... IMHO... We all have our opinion on his idea but he is not asking our opinions on the idea just looking for ideas on what to include on the field... it is obvious that he has not heard of MAA or any other fields like XT or Ambush so he is searching out information and asking the more learned (us) about it. if his parents agree and put up the structures etc well it is their land so be it..

All I am saying here is if you don't have something good to say and all that comes out is comments that are demeaning or just telling him it is stupid and he should wait well then why even read it...

Remember that these folks will be the future field owners and suppliers etc and they will remember the treatment they received here.

Future field owners? learning patience is a valuable thing, having the discipline to wait would help build character

Agree but face it none of us likes to wait for things. why should he be any different.

I agree that on an organized basis (ie with the MAA) 18+ is the way to go but I have played at Ambush Airsoft (an outdoor speedball field) there were 15 year olds on the field and they called their hits, played with honor and had lots of fun...

Sounds like fuckery to me, this Ambush thing, but thats just my opinion, some people will do anything for money

Actually there are 2 places that let minors play Xtreme Tactics (indoor airsoft CQB ) and Ambush Anonymous Airsoft. and yes they both charge $ to play but it is a controlled atmosphere that is supervised.

so please lets just stop..... stop bashing young players... they will play if they are going to play and there is really nothing we can do...

again no one bashed this guy, he's obviously not responsible for the health of people playing on his field, and too young to understand this. and YES we can do something, the same thing we have always done when someone wants to buy a gun underage, or play at an even underage, tell them NO!

I am quite sure that if you asked him he would consider some of the tones of the messages to be hostile... why not just ignore the post if you don't agree. really if he is going to he is going to get his father to join buy him a gun and do what he wants with or without our consent right... he will play regardless either on our fields where WE can control it or in his back yard where public may see it and bring negative attention... he will play anyway so why not have us govern it and teach him the right versus the wrong way...

instead of chasing them from our organizations we should welcome them in and show them the safe and proper way to do things... this way when they do turn 18 and continue to play we will not have to get bad traits out of them when they play with us eventually..

No one's chasing him, telling him that this isn't a good idea is not chasing him, if that isn't what he wants to hear then he can leave but no one told him to GTFO, about Bad Traits, what do you think we as experienced players do when we get new people? we fucking teach them the ropes, we don't depend on some retarded Airsoft "Little League" to teach them these skills, something like this Ambush thing only helps legitimize underage airsoft and is not a good thing at all.

By some people using forceful language against him and basically telling him he is not mature etc we are chasing him away... I would rather have him play at Ambush or XT or with the MAA versus shooting his gun in his yard at a cat or dog or whatever... sounds extreme but I am sure it happens.

so please folks lets act like the "PROFESSIONALS" we profess to be... so far when i see someone who is not AV'd here and is under age all i see is them being met with hostility.

Professionals? no one here gets paid to play airsoft, so I don't know where you are going with that, maybe because we use "Pro-grade" guns according to buyairsoft.ca hehehhehe

Professionalism is an attitude too... You don't get paid...? Just kidding.... but seriously we are the airsoft community in Canada and we need to have a professional attitude and by swearing at this guy we don't really show it much...

the people who run the board opened it up (or sections of it) to -18's so if you don't want to deal with underage people then please confine yourself to the 18+ sections then there will be no need for you to be hostile...

Again, this community AS A WHOLE believes in the 18+ rule, this isn't something we just came up with to kill this kid's buzz

Agree but a lot of people I see who post that are under 18 usually get whipped pretty hard on here just for asking a question... sure some of them are Noob questions (believe me I see them as a professional photographer) - What is the best wedding camera? bla bla bla... but ragging on the guy is just kind of mean...

Actually he kind of started in interesting topic (obviously lost by now) but a topic such as Making an Airsoft field may be of interest... who knows some adult out there who is sitting on a few acres may be interested and then boom we have another place to play....

Remember Airsoft is a sport and a game... please treat it accordingly...

Correction, it's a growing sport and it doesn't need any unneccessary publicity or attention in this gun fearing country of ours, which is why we try to protect it from damage by those not responsible enough

actually it does need publicity... good publicity and education of the public... what is it, why do we do it, is it just a bunch of people who the Army rejected who get their rocks off shooting others? (Example questions not my thoughts) we need to encourage people to learn and be tolerant of Airsoft then people can relax and we don't have to play a closet sport.

sorry to others who have had to read this... a am almost sorry I posted here as It has sparked a debate and taken it way off topic.

Thanks

Rhino Living

http://www.nordicbattlegroup.ca
Old July 15th, 2009, 17:52   #81
T-Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusangani View Post
I really cannot believe how much advice this kid is getting, even from an age verifier who should know better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubs View Post
+1 on this one. My brother is sitting out and waiting until his 18 to play. He's 15 right now, and instead of buying guns and gear, he's looking at mine and learning from the tips I give him. He's mature enough to understand that these guns can be dangerous and there is reasons behind ASC has a limit on what age can play, this is not paintball.
I have played painball a few times and it is way more dangerous then AS... I can be on an AS field with shooting glasses and a BDU and all is good feel a pellet call hit.

Paintball well crap I get pelted with heaver ammo that hurts much more leaves welts

I do agree though still 18+ for buying guns (anywhere) but stores like cabellas and such don't abide by that... so the kids are getting em.. they will shoot them... where is up to us...

but yes I agree 18+

Rhino Living

http://www.nordicbattlegroup.ca
Old July 15th, 2009, 18:30   #82
ujiro

People often get whipped for asking a question because it is a question that has been asked umpteen million times, and we are sick of seeing the exact same thread. People don't know how to use search function apparently, or google. And then a lot of questions get asked where there is no way we can answer them. Vague questions, or comparisons, or questions about unreleased products.
Underagers shouldn't be playing, period. This IS an 18+ sport. But if they still want to, then we certainly shouldn't be helping them play.
We gave the advice; go to a field that will let you play. If there is a place that lets underagers go, then go there. And, come to out fields and check out the gear, meet the people, learn that way. But backyard playing... Generally frowned upon, for good reason.
Old July 15th, 2009, 19:02   #83
MrRiches

Well, to add my two cents,

I'm first off rather appalled at the responses of some of the ASC members. Some of the guys complaining here seem rather immature themselves and I'd question whether their more mature then the 15 year olds that I see play at Ambush Anonymous. From my experience with operating Ambush Anonymous for 2 years, I've seen more 18+ participants doing stupid things to get kicked off then people under 18. I've actually never had to pull anyone aside that was underage however 18+ there are plenty of guys that I've had to talk to. So you guys, as much as you dislike the underage kids playing airsoft, you will need to accept it because were only going to get more. The one thing I do agree is that kids should not be allowed to purchase any airsoft guns, and I'm sure some slip by at Cabelas but for the most part their pretty strict on their policy. And as long as this kid is playing on his own property out of sight of others I don't think anyone would have a problem with that as long as every kid has permission to play from their parent and the parents are fully aware of what airsoft entails and the potential dangers it poses.

And in reply to the very first post (the actual topic of this thread). I do suggest you come check out our field www.aa-airsoft.com. Our latest event pics are here aa-airsoft.com/gallerypicsold/urban assualt 2009/ . You can probably get a good idea for a field from that too. And just a suggestion but don't build trenches. They're a big hazard. Your best off sticking to tires are pallets, they're the easiest materials to get a hold of that make good obstacles. But also be very careful when using pallets as their often filled with exposed nails and or broken pieces that can cause some serious injury.
Old July 15th, 2009, 21:04   #84
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

Accept them playing all u want but this thread is about advising a kid on how to build a field and that is wrong
Old July 15th, 2009, 21:22   #85
ujiro

Quote:
Accept them playing all u want but this thread is about advising a kid on how to build a field and that is wrong
Wow. Simple and 100% true. /thread lol. Well put, pus. Very well put.
Old July 15th, 2009, 21:27   #86
Jobbo_Fett

Quote:
Yet teaching them woodworking classes in school is right?

Look, I really don't want to continue this argument (Since I've only surmised it in the past 5 or so minutes) but I see no problem with a kid wanting to put time and effort into a worthy project such as building an airsoft field, so long as his parents and proper authorities (Where required) have been notified. Now, playing airsoft and BUILDING A FIELD are 2 completely different things.

If he wants to play, I'd advise him to go to the nearest field at their next game (Provided they accept minors) and play with them, ask questions and get to know the community a bit. Also, bring a parent along when you go to that game (Provided he doesn't fully understand what airsofting is all about) so that he understands the risks involved with playing and the safety precautions that have been put in place. (Such as ballistic goggles)

Now for some misc. comments:
About the building a 2 story tower, I think you need to contact the local authorities to make sure it's sturdy and have someone inspect it.

If you're building an airsoft field so that you and your buds can play, well you're going to [blah... blah] parent's signing waivers [etc]

For ideas or a basic look on what a trench SHOULD be like, check for some photos\videos on the first world war.

Pallets\skids, or at least the ones people give away, are very... hazardous. Be careful with them.

Lastly, even if you're building this in your backyard, you are going to need to make it far enough away from the house, wouldn't want to hit windows, furniture or anything expensive while you're gaming.
Old July 15th, 2009, 21:37   #87
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobbo_Fett View Post
Now, playing airsoft and BUILDING A FIELD are 2 completely different things.
your saying he can build it as long as he doesn't play in it?
Old July 15th, 2009, 21:38   #88
Jobbo_Fett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulcrum View Post
your saying he can build it as long as he doesn't play in it?
A chef cooks food for others and does not eat it.

Same principle, different application.
Old July 15th, 2009, 21:39   #89
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobbo_Fett View Post
A chef cooks food for others and does not eat it.

Same principle, different application.
Ok, so you want the minor to host games and you expect him to never play?
Old July 15th, 2009, 21:41   #90
Jobbo_Fett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulcrum View Post
Ok, so you want the minor to host games and you expect him to never play?
I never said host, and I expect him to play when he's AV'ed or no longer a minor. Plus, hosting a game shows you can be responsible, as long as everything is well regulated and fair.

Although as I've stated before, I don't see a problem with him building the field, which is what this thread was all about when it started, playing is a different matter.
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank